Jackrabbt down with Alpha Wolf

Currently out in the mountains for a few days. Went out this evening with the Alpha Wolf in.30 caliber. Have the gun configured to shoot the 44gr JSB's at 880 putting out 75 fpe, a conservative power level for smaller game hunting. Will have a video of this trip, just takes time once I return. Beautiful evening to hike around, got this guy in the head at 45 yards. * UPDATE* Here is the video of this trip that I hope some might enjoy watching.

IMG_20220831_194402_01.jpg

IMG_20220831_192631.jpg

Last edited:
That’s nuts. Do you think a lot of the animals probably will start moving around more close to sunset? How do they handle that sort of heat in those parts?
During the day they hunker down in the thick stuff, when it's this hot it's near impossible to hike anywhere to find them. Late evening and early morning are only times you really see them and it's cool enough to be able to hike. These animals are tough as nails and tend to do well in these harsh conditions. During winter they move to the lower elevations to avoid the snow and extreme low temperature. It's crazy because this area gets so brutally hot in summer and then the complete opposite during winter.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
@Crosman999 Sounds like high desert weather especially if precipitation is sparse. I’m not too familiar with those hares’ behavior, but they seem like they’d make for interesting quarry if they taste good. Is it possible to stalk up on them or do their large ears make it near impossible and you are generally forced to shoot from a distance?

Reactions: Removed
@Crosman999 Sounds like high desert weather especially if precipitation is sparse. I’m not too familiar with those hares’ behavior, but they seem like they’d make for interesting quarry if they taste good. Is it possible to stalk up on them or do their large ears make it near impossible and you are generally forced to shoot from a distance?
I've got a ton of videos showing us cooking them all different sorts of ways. It's difficult to get close but we are able to sometimes, this one was about the closest in awhile. After years of hunting them you tend to get very familiar with how to spot them. They blend in perfectly with the environment, it's really amazing.

@Crosman999 I recall a cooking video or two. I think the bbq one was one of the more recent ones, but I’m lost on the flavor of the meat only having eaten cottontails. I think @qball was telling me about them being a delicacy in Europe a while back.

I have noticed in your videos how well jacks seem to blend in with their surroundings with those ears tending to occasionally standout. They’re already in rough terrain. Interesting animals. Nice size and quick too. You must have an eye for them. After seeing this post I may get out and get after something over the holiday, it’s been a while.

@Crosman999 I recall a cooking video or two. I think the bbq one was one of the more recent ones, but I’m lost on the flavor of the meat only having eaten cottontails. I think @qball was telling me about them being a delicacy in Europe a while back.

I have noticed in your videos how well jacks seem to blend in with their surroundings with those ears tending to occasionally standout. They’re already in rough terrain. Interesting animals. Nice size and quick too. You must have an eye for them. After seeing this post I may get out and get after something over the holiday, it’s been a while.

Jack rabbit or hare tastes nothing like cottontail! Best way to describe it to me is very lean beef except a touch more irony, best cooked with fat from pork or beef slowly till tender. Due to it's strong flavor it can take seasoning/spices well, beef taco seasoning works well. The big ones are definitely tough and need slow cooker but the younger ones in the 3-5 pound range doesn't need that much slow cooking but still recommended at least for the leg meat. Back straps are tender and tasty but the leg meat needs fat and slow cooking regardless. Hope that helps and you can try one some day.

They are not hard to spot early mornings with low angle sun lights up their ears with black tip like lamp shades. During the heat of the day they just sit under the bushes' shades, so if you walk slow and quietly you can spot them and plenty of time for a shot. I've gotten as close as 10-15 yards to some. However they do have keen eyes and if they spot you staring at them they will disappear FAST!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezana4CE
Currently out in the mountains for a few days. Went out this evening with the Alpha Wolf in.30 caliber. Have the gun configured to shoot the 44gr JSB's at 880 putting out 75 fpe, a conservative power level for smaller game hunting. Will have a video of this trip, just takes time once I return. Beautiful evening to hike around, got this guy in the head at 45 yards.
View attachment 286694

View attachment 286695
Huge Jack there buddy