I’ve Not Spent a $ Yet.....

Personally I don't particularly like the cocking lever being back by my ear. As such, I have never even considered getting a Taipan, regardless of how good the rest of the gun is. Folks will say that you get used to it. I guess you will if you have to, but you don't have to. The only guns I own with the cocking lever at my ear are Daystate Pulsars, and with that lever you can 'cock' the gun with your pinky finger, the action is so light. But it is still not my preferred location. 

There are still plenty of guns available with side bolt cocking. Having used both a side bolt and a side lever, I have essentially sold all the guns I had without a side lever. Just so much smoother, easier and more pleasant to shoot.

I shoot mostly off the bench. If I were walking in the field hunting, the rear cocking lever or side cocking bolt probably would not be as much of an issue (but would still not be my preference).

To each their own, though, and YMMV.

On another topic is the location of (what I’d call the bolt) on the Cricket ll vs the Taipan? Please educate me in parts language.

Mark, that is the cocking lever. The Taipan Veteran is at the rear, which is where it connects to the hammer/spring assembly. The bullpups with a forward lever require a longer lever and/or some additional moving parts to cock the rifle. I like the more direct linkage and simpler design of the Veteran, but the rear position bothers some people. Frankly, I had my doubts about it, but found the transition to it totally without issue.

...They have control over the youtube marketing, but not product quality and dependability.

I probably wouldn't argue with the first part of this statement... or the second part of it either.😉

FX does appear to have some on-going issues with initial build quality of their guns, as well as more need for routine service, at least according to some of the more vocal folks on the forums. Why? Perhaps because they are pretty cutting-edge on design, and perhaps also because they seem to be constantly behind on producing their guns to keep up with the high demand. My personal opinion is that FX owners acknowledge that they may need to fix or service their guns more often than others, and accept this for what the guns offer. Have I personally had issues with any of my FX guns? Sadly yes, but I love them all the same.

I appreciate the level of external tunability FX guns offer. I'm not one who wants to get into the guts of my air gun often, or actually ever. And when working well and properly tuned, FX rifles can be incredibly accurate and a real pleasure to shoot. Plus, in many cases, they are lighter than their counterparts from other manufacturers, and therefore are much more fun to take out on a walking hunt.

It is kind of hard to recommend an FX to a brand new shooter. It is not out of the question, but just may not be an optimal place to start.

If the electronics of the Daystate turn you off, look at the Daystate Wolverine R. All mechanical and mine shoots great. I got it to shoot Field Target, and it is wonderful out to 65 yeards. I did find out after that, the 10.3 AA pellets start to corkscrew much past 65 yards. I didn't try other pellets that day as the sun was going down. But if you are wanting a gun for further, the Wolverine R is made in .22 and larger. Really a pretty rifle and very solid and well made.

It is really to suggest a good gun not knowing what your intended purpose would be. So many choices, welcome to the addiction.

Hope this helped a little.

Consider the size of the cocking lever pins...FX Streamline, Daystate Wolverine and Taipan...the entire gun is built like that, Taipans have 12 bolts that's "TWELVE" bolts. I think they are 5mm holding everything in line and the barrel screws into the action solid as a rock, and the trigger is wonderful, again Taipan Veteran and a bolt action Huntsman tough combo to beat. Just shot my Huntsman .20 off bench today two groups bigger one is 15shots smaller is 20 shots @ 30yds with JSB
0126211527a.1611698269.jpg
0126211527.1611698270.jpg
0126211526.1611698271.jpg
0126211456.1611698273.jpg
0126211531.1611698438.jpg
0126211400.1611698439.jpg
 13.73's, with 10mph cross wind that would come and go.

Long gun RAW HM1000x (25).

Shorty Edgun Lelya 2.0 (22).

Shortest Edgun Lelya 1.5 (22) discontinued

Short pistol don't knock the price Crosman 1701P.

Ataman AP16 (22) compact Knocking the Crosman 1701P price OK then.

Honorable mention Shorty

Steyr PRO X scout 22 didn't place first just because its not the shortest but likely the most fun gun you will ever own.

Ataman BP17 22

Honorable mention Long

Steyr Hunting 5 auto 22 likely the most fun you will ever own.

Daystate Redwolf HP

Forums tend to bring better knowledge base than the FB crowd. I’m not like the guy who doesn’t know what he doesn’t know; I’ll admit that I’m dumb as a box of rocks. I enjoy the conversation but am a bit confused about the above pictures as to which gun is which. What I glean is that the Taipan is a better work of machine art than the other two examples. I’d really like to be an educated consumer and the consensus of the respondents is that the Daystate pretty much owns the long gun preferences. At this point I’m drawn to the bullpup line but I think I’d prefer the cocking lever closer to the trigger. What are the negatives of this style of gun other than the ping of the action banging next to your ear? Is this a deal breaker for most? I will say that I’m drawn to the semi automatic stuff but I also think I’d prefer a detachable magazine. Am I thinking straight on this deal? If I was looking for an opinion that sided with what I “think” I want, I’d be looking for a Steyr fanatic. I’m also drawn to those Thomas pictures, I’d never heard of that until now. 

Bullpups are generally harder to shoot accurately as compared to traditional rifles, without a good deal of practice.

Bullpups generally don't have as good a trigger as traditional rifles due to the need for a linkage from the trigger back to the action. (But some current models have very good linkage triggers, and fewer yet have excellent triggers equal to a traditional rifle's.)

Bullpups generally have more weight balanced to the rear of the gun, don't feel front heavy, and can be shot well off-hand.

I haven't been bothered at all by a hammer ping near my ear, and I've got 'pups ranging from .177 up to .30 cal.

Cocking lever closer to the trigger (or mid-point of the gun) will generally result in a cocking/chambering action which is not quite as smooth (due to the need for a linkage between the lever and the action) - a trade-off I gladly accept over having a cocking lever by my ear.

Although Daystate makes some incredible (albeit heavy) bullpups, other manufacturers make some really excellent 'Pups, so you will be able to broaden your new air rifle collection to include another manufacturer!😉

At this point in time I would likely stay away from semi-auto guns. Many have had poor triggers, plus you are wasting air for their semi-auto action. Yes, removable magazines would be preferred but most (all?) SA's have fixed internal magazines. Also one more 'system' to cause failure of the gun, for dubious benefits. In air guns it seems to me that SA is mostly an expensive, semi-reliable gimmick at this point.

Getting the opportunity to test shoot some guns before buying is always the best case, but many times it just isn't feasible. And anyway you would want to have and shoot the gun for a couple of weeks or a month to really understand whether it is right for you (although there are a few which I have shot, and, unfortunately, immediately understood that they were not what I wanted). There are others which I have shot (especially bullpups) where I couldn't seem to hit the broad side of a barn at first. But with continued shooting one can reach an understanding of what that gun likes as far as hold, etc., and they can become a new, tack-driving favorite.

Also, and especially if you are anything like me, don't believe that these first 2 (long and short) guns will be your last airgun purchases. This hobby can be very addicting (my investment guy already calls me an 'accumulator' regarding all of my hobbies), and you may find that you want additional air guns for different purposes in the future. Or you just can't get on with something you bought, and it just isn't meeting your expectations. In this latter case, the used airgun market is strong for quality guns, and you will generally be able to recoup a major chunk of your purchase price selling it on the AGN Member Classifieds.

I had sworn (again) yesterday morning that I was through spending money buying new (well, most are used now) air guns. I already have some wonderful guns in my collection, and could now wait for that killer deal, or something really different & unusual before I would buy anything more. Then AOA drops a truck-load of pre-owned guns onto their web site yesterday afternoon, and now I have a new (used) long and short gun coming next week. D'oh!

It is too bad that you aren't local to me as I have a lot of air guns which you could try out (one of my buddies from Cowboy Action Shooting tried one of my air rifles at the range, and I didn't see that gun again for 3 months!). Do you have any local stores which stock and sell quality air guns (sure wish I did)? Are there any airgun clubs local to you? Some AGN members have also posted on this forum "Any airgunners local to XYZ area?" for possible meet-ups and shooting together. 

You are new to the airgun journey, and you have done the correct thing to ask the collective wisdom of this group for recommendations before you spend your money. You are wiser now because of that, but you will still find things which you love or hate about specific guns, regardless of how others feel. And you may find that gun which all others have described as a dog, but just totally clicks with you. Hopefully it will be a long journey for you, with many interesting twists and turns, and much joy. That is definitely how it has started out for me (I really only seriously got into PCP air guns last July because they are something my wife and I can do at home to maintain sanity during the pandemic, with 25 and 50 yard ranges in the back yard).

Good luck, and let us know what you finally choose.

Cocking lever closer to the trigger (or mid-point of the gun) will generally result in a cocking/chambering action which is not quite as smooth (due to the need for a linkage between the lever and the action) - a trade-off I gladly accept over having a cocking lever by my ear.

With the Veteran, unless you shoot left-handed, this shouldn't be an issue, at least it has not been for me. 

I work as a volunteer with students in our local HS (Granbury TX). The school has an indoor range that is turning out state champions. I got a tour some years ago and it is state of the art. I was told that they can hold meets online with other schools similarly equipped. I really need to visit with the coach and schedule some time training with these folks. I’ll see if I can find some pictures and figure out how to post them.

I will continue to watch this forum and get to know the members from a lurking perspective. At this point I’m just a sponge sucking up opinion of the postings. I know this gets subjective but I’d really like to look at the market from an objective viewpoint. I definitely want the best bang for the buck. I’ll take the advice to stay away from the SA stuff until it becomes more refined. I’d like quality and serviceable for the price. Where is the best place to shop other than the big guys (AOA or Utah)? Any local mom & pop stores? If I got a leak or need service I’d like to have an out. 
The Taipan does still have my attention. 

Ok, I’ve been sharing my research with a group of coffee drinkers at our “circle of truth” and I just received a text that one has been infected...

Just be aware that unlike COVID (and much to the detriment of bank accounts), there is no known vaccine for this infection. And unfortunately the strain of this infection which comes from shooting a high end air rifle is quite virulent.😁