I’ve Not Spent a $ Yet.....

Short gun Crosman 1720 long gun airforce condor..... Then again I like hunting and not overpaying for stuff. If you ask me what I would want if someone else was buying it edgun leshiy and daystate huntsman. It's all relative mate at high end money just pick what you want and base it around what you want to do with it. If it's long range hunting get an impact, if it's having a beautiful gun that's very accurate get a daystate or an air arms. Each gun does different things better. The impact can do several different things depending on its configuration. What do you want to do with it? How far are you trying to reach out? Will you be competing? If so what sport? Many answers to that question we need more input. 

Short - In no real order -

Edgun, Lelya = Short, built like a tank, accurate, sorta light minimum maintenance, quiet, adjustable trigger, easy to shoot

FX, Maverick = Shortish, no wood to take care of, light accurate, adjustable IF you want, adjustable trigger, easy to shoot

Airgun Technologies, Uragan = Shortish, little wood, light, Very easy to shoulder, adjustable, adjustable trigger, very easy to shoot

Airmax, Caiman = Very short, accurate, all wood on the outside, light, minimal adjustments, adjustable trigger, very easy to shoot

Long -

Sorry, can't help, don't own any to compare to.

I would think that though on the slightly more expensive side, most any Daystate rifle should be on this list.

Mike

I appreciate the comments. Tell me more about Daystate. I kinda turned my nose up at those simply because of what I think is a cheap LCD display buried inside of it. Do I really want a gun that’s tied to a brick charger? The Edgun (in all flavors) looks to me like a win. The Huben, Kalibrgun, and Steyr have got my eye on the short side. The new FX Maverick is also intriguing. Keep going, I’m a noob that is just pondering new toys that don’t give me trouble. Any preferences between hammer and hammerless? I promise, I’m not a troll. 

Can't help you with a short gun, for me they seem to "fall short," but the Daystate Red Wolf that has been mentioned gives you all you can hope for (that is until the Delta Wolf gets here). The one thing that should be mentioned is that it is very efficient with air and allows you to shoot all day on a fill and the accuracy just about can't be beat.

The Taipan Veteran is my short gun recommendation, and either RAW, Daystate Revere, or HW100 for the full length rifle, keeping things robust and simple. For someone entering the hobby, I would not suggest either an electronic rifle or any of the "adjustomatics" that FX sells. The older FX Royale 400/500 platform is simple and solid, could be a contender. I have a Daystate Red Wolf and have had experience with the FX barrel sleeve/liner/shroud platform and, for different reasons, don't think either is well suited as an entry level rifle. Just my opinion, my wife says I'm always wrong.

I'm really drawn to simple gun designs. Less moving parts, less seals, less issues down the road. If I wanted a dedicated pellet (not slug) hunting rifle, I would get an older daystate wolverine R HP (unregulated) 

I do have an FX Crown that I absolutely love, and have 5 different barrels for. The ease of swapping caliber, and pinpoint accuracy is awesome. And ability to shoot slugs with pinpoint accuracy as well... It is more of a tinkerer's gun. The Daystate I spoke of, just flat out works. No fiddling, tweaking, tuning. Just take it out, and shoot. No electronics to fail, no regulator to malfunction. Just an extremely refined, and dialed in tool.

Tell me more about Daystate...

I've got Red Wolfs, I've got Crowns, I've got Wolverines, and all are excellent long guns.

If I could only keep one it would be my Red Wolf HP in .22 with the GCU 2.0 ('Safari') electronics. My absolute best shooting 100 yard gun (granted I'm only now beginning my 100 yard practice/work), yet can be tuned down to backyard friendly power levels in 5 seconds with the simple use of a button. Pellet and slug friendly and the electronics don't scare me a bit (and I don't even recall the last time I had to charge the battery). Incredibly efficient with air use, and for the power it generates, relatively quiet. Incredible trigger. Well made and solid - a gun which has benefited from Daystate's many years of experience with its electronically controlled rifles.

If there is one thing I really don't like about my Red Wolfs it is...

Can't think of anything, let me get back to you on that one.

IMHO for a single shot a Thomas is the best money can buy. An HPX 22 cal version as a long gun and a compact 177 version for a short gun. Right now these guns can be considered a custom production rifle because each one is tested on paper and tuned as well as it can be done by Mike N himself. It's a one man operation.

The problem is that there is a lengthy wait if you order one. You could buy a used one if you can find one.

In the meantime buy the others so you can appreciate the Thomas when you get it. It amazes me how faulty and lacking some $1000 to $2000 guns can be!!!!!

However I really liked the prototype Daystate Delta Wolfs that I was privileged enough to briefly play with. It is a game changer seeing the velocity on the screen and being able to change it so easily! These aren't ready for sale quite yet but soon. I want one as my repeater.

Red Wolf HP 22 for long gun and AAA Evol Standard in 22 for short gun. The Mini is also a nice option. Other than the EVOL, Taipan Veteran in 22 gets my vote. I'm still testing the Delta Wolf and it's GOTTA be a contender for me, as well.

Red Wolf is just TOO EASY to shoot longer ranges and simple to rebuild with no real wear points and quick, versatile velocity changes, as well as pretty quiet for the power as was previously mentioned. The DW will be all that, PLUS, and in a compact package. The EVOL has no equal for build quality in a hunting use short rifle with the Vet pretty close behind.

IMHO, of course. 

Bob

If I had it to do again (my PCP adventure) I would go with Taipans and Daystates exclusively, Taipan standard and the Daystate Huntsmans in particular, also the. Daystate Wolverine is bigger and has higher
0113211443_HDR.1611674740.jpg
0817201123.1611674742.jpg
0526201728.1611674743.jpg
shot count for a "longer" gun, I have them all and my search for PCP's have ended with them, I wouldn't be afraid of a Red Wolf but the Wolverine is good enough for me. All would be easy to resell if you don't get on with them for some reason, you have the hard part done...$$$...you can thank me later...lol.

I do appreciate the advice, I’m just a dumb hick from Texas doing diligence with all you guy’s experience. I’m thinking a bit of pesting, plinking, and some target work to develop a new skill in an old life. 
So... Daystate deserves a closer observation. I’m surprised you aren’t more interested in steering me towards the FX line. And, what about the pros/cons of hammerless action? 
On another topic is the location of (what I’d call the bolt) on the Cricket ll vs the Taipan? Please educate me in parts language.