I’ve located a leak on my FX Impact...where is the source??? (FIXED)

Greetings Airgun experts. I’ve located a leak in my FX Impact MK1. It’s a little hole left of the safety and the screw. When I put my finger over it, I can feel it leaking air. I recently changed my FX gauge...but I highly doubt that’s the issue. I have a picture of the hole below. Any ideas on what’s causing the leak?

image.1602907905.jpg

Possibly dust or debris and I would unscrew the bottle see reg pressure go to zero then screw in full bottle shoot it as fast as you can no need pellets and if still leaks repeat 2x more then if still leak remove bottle dryfire couple times screw in (tighten) the reg housing behind the trigger screw bottle back in and still leak unscrew it 1/8 to 1/4 turn shoot some more.

If still leak after that then watch the video. The o-ring the reg housing sits on is probably squashed maybe from degassing to replace your manometer? Or just time to change o-ring as a coincidence since yours is an older gun. Tighten then back out 1/8 to 1/4 turn don't squash it.

GLEM could confirm...

Try what Odoyle suggests. But being an older gun probably needs a reseal of the regulator. If you go that far you should probably do a full reseal.

Only the trigger guard needs to be removed to unscrew the regulator. I wouldn't touch the rest of the gun unless there was another leak that required it. O-rings can last well over 10 years when they're not moving and silicone grease never dries out so keep it simple. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Reactions: Tronic
Possibly dust or debris and I would unscrew the bottle see reg pressure go to zero then screw in full bottle shoot it as fast as you can no need pellets and if still leaks repeat 2x more then if still leak remove bottle dryfire couple times screw in (tighten) the reg housing behind the trigger screw bottle back in and still leak unscrew it 1/8 to 1/4 turn shoot some more.

If still leak after that then watch the video. The o-ring the reg housing sits on is probably squashed maybe from degassing to replace your manometer? Or just time to change o-ring as a coincidence since yours is an older gun. Tighten then back out 1/8 to 1/4 turn don't squash it.

GLEM could confirm...

I recently went in and did a full reseal. Every o-ring replaced because it had some massive regulator creep. Now, instead of reg creep, I have a leak. Also, could it be that I screwed the regulator housing in too tightly? Maybe if I back it off a little...possibility?

Did you solve the leak issue? What did you do?

Yeah I basically went in there and was generous with the silicon grease. I was told by FX that I may have gouged out the finish in the action when I replaced the 9×1.5 o-ring in the action....and that was the cause. I went in there and made sure that everything was sealed up with the silicone grease. It’s not puffing air, but I’m going to wait and see if the problem comes back. Hopefully not. 

Oh also, I made sure the reg housing was tightly screwed in. When I first opened the rifle, it was very tightly screwed in by AOA.

GLEM could confirm...

I recently went in and did a full reseal. Every o-ring replaced because it had some massive regulator creep. Now, instead of reg creep, I have a leak. Also, could it be that I screwed the regulator housing in too tightly? Maybe if I back it off a little...possibility?

Just went thru all of this with a Crown, which is similar to the Impact. As far as screwing in the housing, as soon as it stops against the valve seal, stop. Also, check the o ring on the piston really close. The crown kept leaking out the vent hole, so the bottle pressure gage would never climb but reg pressure stayed steady. It was that piston o ring all along. It must have torn during reassembly. 

FC7C637B-137D-4068-8CC5-F61FF855D64B.1603191946.jpeg
8C83F4EA-F44A-4779-941C-69DEF7FA409A.1603191946.jpeg

GLEM could confirm...

Just went thru all of this with a Crown, which is similar to the Impact. As far as screwing in the housing, as soon as it stops against the valve seal, stop. Also, check the o ring on the piston really close. The crown kept leaking out the vent hole, so the bottle pressure gage would never climb but reg pressure stayed steady. It was that piston o ring all along. It must have torn during reassembly. 

FC7C637B-137D-4068-8CC5-F61FF855D64B.1603191946.jpeg
8C83F4EA-F44A-4779-941C-69DEF7FA409A.1603191946.jpeg

By piston o-ring, do you mean the o-ring that sits on the regulator piston? Or do you mean the o-ring that is inside the action?

My Impact x was leaking from the safety hole. Also was the 9 x1.5 mm oring in the body. Put it in dry then lube the piston liberally. Makes getting it in position easier less slippery . This was after I had gone thru the regulator cleaned and all new orings. I like the Airguns of Arizona video but I like the way Earnest puts the regulator body and piston back in. As a unit. The second time I had it apart and cleaned it was dirtier than the first time maybe 150 pellets Thru it total. To help put the tiny orings on the adjustment screw thread it into the reg body a bit. Gives you something to hold onto. Also they make plastic picks to remove the orings. Will keep us rookies from destroying are guns. Utah guys told me that one. And an 16d framing nail really helps get the new oring in its groove. Much better than an allen wrench.