Its time to show the world my 19 step Impact power wheel

IMG_0685.1615698538.JPG

It was brought to my attention that I hadn't shown my power whell installed on a gun. Here's the very first complete stainless steel unit made. I started with 3d printing my idea for fit and frame, then I moved to aluminum becouse of the easy machining aluminum offers. Once I was happy with the knob. It was time to then I move to to stainless steel. Wow what a jump that was. The very first try, I destroyed a $50 end mill in a matter of minutes. I'm sorry my gun is apart in this picture. I working on my next idea

Thanks for all the nice comments , Mont

Sometimes the change in speed for one click on the FX wheel is large, as much as 30 fps. Sometimes you want smaller speed jumps. Also settings A-E and 1-5 are two separate scales because of the design of the FX wheel. Monte's wheel, with its 19 steps, is a continuous scale, with nearly twice the increments. While the FX wheel spring carrier adjustment can do all the adjustment necessary, it's slower to move, and not as repeatable as a detent ball. You could Chrony the speed at all 19 steps if you wanted...

Impact Power Wheel Update: I did extensive testing with Monte's 19-step power wheel. I get 8 fps for each click between numbers 7-19. I easily went from 900 fps to 1000 fps, and back down. I found that I should set the hammer set screw to a distance that just barely allows me to dial to max. Using a chrony I found the steps produced repeatable speeds. It makes tuning much easier. I found my accurate speeds quickly...
20210219_222834.1618451583.jpg

Reactions: kirkb