It's supposed to be FUN!

this is the best post ive seen in a while.

most all my guns are st to be around 800 -830 fps. reguardless of caliber. i stick to pellets. simply because i beleive that under 100 yards they are just as good if not more acurrate than slugs. and in my eyes, shooting even high dollar guns over 100 yards is a crapshoot. too many things to go wrong.

slugs, high power, and long range will ruin air rifle fun for us if it keeps up. laws and regulations will put an end to airgun fun. whats with all these videos shooting long range anyway?! it is either a push from someone being sponsored, or that person who is into “look at me! look what i did”!

i think with internet and social media we live in an era in which for some reason certain people think everyone cares what they are doing?

many of my hunting and fishing spots have fallen to people needing to share their success with pics giving away thae spot.

Reactions: scubajeeper
I have by now found a few pellets and slugs that are very promising in my 2 guns, but i have not yet really dialled for any of them, and so also not yet found the ammo of the future.

I do think i will have to settle around the 13 - 16 grains for both pellets and slugs.

Even if i do still intend to have some lighter and heavier options.

I have learned in the past week or so that in regard to 20 grain slugs,,,,, well none of my guns will do that with the current setups, cuz i shoot 13 grain around 960 FPS with lots of hammer, and on same setting the 16 grain will fly 900 FPS and also shoot fairly OK, but then chambering a 20 grain slug and BAM and the FPS drop to just under 800 FPS.

The 20 grainers need more kick than i am set to dish out at the moment, but i will probably have to one up on the power in the Maverick some day to see what they really got. But not anytime soon, got too much fun shooting lighter stuff.

Yesterday i shot the regular heavy 10.43 grain pellets ( JSB & FX ) at 90 M and with 0 wind that was pretty damn fun even if there was a flier now and then out of the Vulcan 3 and i wasent exactly 1 holing it either.

But the fly that kept landing on my cardboard target, lets just say it is very lucky to still be alive.

I'm one of the modify even what doesn't need modding. I bought a 1995 ktm 550 2 stroke dirt bike that stock dynos at 62 HP at the rear wheel. Was that good enough for me? Heck no, I tore it apart and started porting and polishing the cylinder. I bought a after market reed valve and then ported it for smooth flow. No idea what it puts out now but I stopped riding it a few years ago because It was just too powerful for my old body to handle anymore.😂😂🤣 I've been doing the same thing with my liberty even though I have a.25 Sumatra that puts out almost 100 fpe at the muzzle completely original. I've installed all of the Duy mods and still want more power.

thescrawler, I totally agree with you.

I got out of the Navy in San Diego fifty-four years ago. I stayed there and attended college and worked as a janitor evenings. When the sun went down rabbits came out to devour the lawn. I bought a Crosman pump pistol (Model 130 as I recall) in .177 used for $5.00.

One evening I sneaked up on a rabbit and shot it. I had to chase it down and kill it. I felt bad but I learned a lesson. I did not want that to happen again.

From that night on I carefully stalked the rabbits. I sneaked behind bushes and buildings until I could get within about ten feet of them. Then I shot them in the head. I stopped when I shot the fiftieth rabbit. I was afraid of getting fired if I was caught shooting my pellet gun on the property.

Ted of Teds Holdover has super powerful slug shooting air rifles. But recently he got out his FS Maverick to return to the fun of hunting.

thescrawler, I think you are experiencing the same thing. Shooting an airgun and hunting can be fun in a variety of ways.

Fifty-four years ago I was hunting rabbits successfully and having lots and lots of fun with a pellet pistol that was just barely a notch above a BB gun.

Do I have more fun now with much better airguns? Not necessarily. For me I enjoy the challenge, the hunt and finding game and maneuvering into position to shoot. I could go on and on but any trigger time with an airgun can be fun. It is only patricianly dependent on the equipment.

Fred