It's supposed to be FUN!

New FX Impact M3 purchased (I blame Matt Dubber and the .68 Whiskey boys). Nice scope, several different kinds of ammo.... Every video online watched and memorized... Need more velocity.... Need more energy.... Bigger .. faster... Change all the internals.... Change the barrel.... Tune.... Tweak... Tune.... Tune.... Tune? Is it there yet? Oh crap, what did I do now.... Screw this, it's up for sale. Does it shoot good? Of course.... Are you still messing with it... Uh, yes?

So, after 2 months of this nonsense, I put it up for sale. A week goes by with not a word... I get bored, take it back from it's case and put a red dot on it. Zeroed it on a rock at 35 yards and went to town blasting starlings and doves one after another. No range finder, no ballistic app, no messing with turrets.... Just shooting. Sigh... It was fun again.

Dont get caught up in all the nonsense and remember, it is supposed to be fun!

IMG_20220604_090602860.1654366376.jpg

So much of air gunning, especially in the U.S., is MAX POWER and upgrading.

Maybe I just have too many guns now, but I don't hunt anything bigger than a ground squirrel & I don't shoot competitively so I can just tune for pellets shooting 860-920 fps, have accuracy and a really pleasant shot cycle, and I can strip off extra stuff on a gun to make it lighter if I'm gonna be carrying it around. With so many guns, I can't afford to doll them all up with extra cool accessories, so I'm way over that. Plus, I figure that most manufacturers understand the design of the guns they are producing and selling, so I personally don't need bigger transfer ports, ways to flow more air, etc.

I get it - some folks do need these things for their applications, and some folks get joy from tuning and 'making things better.' But others get caught up in that more-is-better theme, perhaps without a deep enough knowledge of how to pull it off successfully.

I recall the first time I achieved what I considered to be a 'harmonic tune' on a Crown. No extra parts needed, just got the settings on the gun right by twisting a few knobs and using a couple of hex wrenches. It was a nirvana moment - I loved shooting that gun (until a friend bought it as her first air rifle, and is loving it to this day).

Fun comes in many flavors, I guess, but I'm with you.

Oh no. I have springers... They have a purpose and a following.... I'm not a fan. I love love love my AEA HP Carbine TD. This is my second and I will buy another. It is a point and shoot gun and very reliable and accurate without a bunch of ridiculous mods.

You mistake my lament. I don't mind working on my guns, I do it on my PB's all the time. BUT sometimes, pausing in your frustration and remembering why you do certain things makes them enjoyable again.

I tend to agree with most everything you said. I adjusted my Gen I Crown to shoot 18 grain JSB pellets accurately and once set that's it. My other guns are less adjustable but most are consistently accurate out to about 75-80 yards. That's plenty good for my dairy shooting, so I have no interest in slugs.

I wouldn't mind having an M3 Impact; it is a nice gun for sure. But if I had an one it would be the same; I'd set it once for the pellets I shoot and leave it there.

I do have fun shooting pellets.

I've been a person who modifies everything I own since I was a kid. It's not something I do with air guns very much, besides scope and basic accessories. That's only because I'm not that good at it and once my guns are zeroed in I like them to stay that way.

But I will say shooting metal plates is more fun when the gun lays down the smack right on target. And of course shooting paper is more fun when you're pellet on pellet. Hunting is more fun when you don't miss your shot.

Each to their own and airgunning offers a range of enjoyable experiences.

I gotta agree here. @brawler1588 and I were hanging out today at his club and had a great time. I was able to shoot my Zeus 16" for the first time and had a blast. I wish Matt had a camera for my first shot as the look on my face must've been epic. Using FX Chrono we calculated 744.5 fpe on the first shot. The target holes were, well, almost .72 inches across - it was just a lot of fun. If our time at the range isn't fun then something is wrong. Doesn't matter if its PB or airgun - if it's not an enjoyable fun time then your head was in the wrong place.

Can't wait ti bring the Zues to Wooster Mountain this week and watch some heads turn. Damn - where's a rotten watermelon when you need it.

New FX Impact M3 purchased (I blame Matt Dubber and the .68 Whiskey boys). Nice scope, several different kinds of ammo.... Every video online watched and memorized... Need more velocity.... Need more energy.... Bigger .. faster... Change all the internals.... Change the barrel.... Tune.... Tweak... Tune.... Tune.... Tune? Is it there yet? Oh crap, what did I do now.... Screw this, it's up for sale. Does it shoot good? Of course.... Are you still messing with it... Uh, yes?

So, after 2 months of this nonsense, I put it up for sale. A week goes by with not a word... I get bored, take it back from it's case and put a red dot on it. Zeroed it on a rock at 35 yards and went to town blasting starlings and doves one after another. No range finder, no ballistic app, no messing with turrets.... Just shooting. Sigh... It was fun again.

Dont get caught up in all the nonsense and remember, it is supposed to be fun!

Above in bold.

A VERY accurate statement. 

I'm fairly new (about 2-1/2+ years) to high end air guns. But I'm far from new to mechanical things. I've built cars and bikes from the ground up, I worked in the Aerospace Industry for the last 35 or so years (Mechanical Engineer) before I retired. So yeah, I'm more than familiar with various mechanical things...AND...their pitfalls. 

While on one hand, most of the folks on this site have helped me learn many of the in's and out's of these semi-high end air guns, I've also seen the same thing as in the hot rod, car and bike industry there's a TON..."of monkey see, monkey do", or a not so obvious term, "follow the leader", which is just as bad. WHY is follow the leader just as bad, because if you don't understand WHAT...this "leader" is doing, his or her back ground and the exact item that he or she started with, and why", you could very well just be spending money and time for things that probably 90% of the shooters don't need, or will ever realize anything positive from. And another thing that is a big thing, the follower may do ONE...thing different, and the end item, will NOT equal the leaders outcome.

OR...like doing something to your hot rod car. You spend a bunch of money, and time to do a particular modification or part addition because "the guy" did, and then you are happy as hell, because it turned out so well..! BUT..as you pay a little more attention to the gas gauge, and or pay attention to the E.T. (elapse time) slip at the drag strip, you realize, this "hot" modification, didn't actually...do anything at all..! If you are really unlucky, you went backward.

I'd bet in the 90% of cases that I noted above, if you just shoot your new expensive air rifle, as delivered, outta the box, maybe did some pellet manufacturer cherry picking, in the end, in reality, you'll be more happy than if you spent another $1000+ on the latest "upgrades" (such a useless word !) and really didn't shoot any better than you did the first time that you shot the gun.

Yeah, yeah, I know, some of you will say that I'm full of crap, and that just fine, but I'd also bet, that...in reality...most of you will see my (and the original posters) reasoning. As was said by an informed person, "this is supposed to be, no nonsense, fun".

NOW...for those that just like to "tinker", like some have actually admitted to doing, more than actually shooting (YES, I've seen those comments too), yes, this is a completely different situation, as they are more the experimenters (like I am), and "hopefully" can see their work actually end up as positive or negative, and understand how to deal with that end.

Ok, end of rant.

Mike

Reactions: JimNM
It's a hobby, so we each approach it with our own priorities. I like things simple, as you would guess from the rifles I shoot most; RAW, HW100, Royale 400, Veteran. Nope, not a single adjustamatic among them. My favorites would be boring and unacceptable to those whose primary interest is tinkering, which is fine, each to his own. It's the same in any hobby I guess. Before retiring, I was active in sports car road course events for about 10 years. Some follks modified and tinkered with their car constantly. Between suspension, brakes, tires, etc., the car was seldom the same from one week to the next. They were having fun, but were, IMO, missing the goal, learning how to drive! Not that I was a great driver and they were lacking, we just had very different interests. But hey, wouldn't it be boring if everyone drove the same car, or shot the same rifle! 

Ed

I've been at this a long time, went through a lot of airguns. My favorite rifle and the one I choose to shoot most is my R7, it looks rough as it has been use on extremely hot days and sweat has ruined the blueing on the barrel but it still shoots great. I keep thinking I want an R9 but at 76 years I wonder how long I will be able to cock it. I have an FX Dreamlite but it just doesn't have the right feel to it but I know I will always be able to cock it. Those spring piston rifles are just too beautiful to not keep me wanting another.

As a kid we used to play darts , did we stand @ 8 feet and throw darts ? NO we sat on our heals and threw the darts 20 feet in a arch to reach the board in the basement .

Now i shoot small targets @ 100 yards but if i sit on my heals it is hard to get back upright hhahaha the memories and to be a kid again doing what is "fun for me "