It's ok, you can laugh- .59 caliber homemade PVC airgun with bicycle pump

I bought my first two airguns in this past year, a .22 springer and a .357 PCP Quackenbush pistol. I wasn't expecting to have this much fun nor become this interested in shooting, ballistics and the like. It's been a pleasurable year of discovery.

And now I have spent a fair amount of time trying to make a useable airgun out of parts from my local, tiny, hardware store. I know I am not the first to do this but it's my own version and has been a strangely rewarding pursuit. My prototype has about reached the point where I am ready to take what I've learned and make another, sturdier, nicer one.

IMG_0257.1621985669.jpg

This gun has 42" PVC barrel...smooth bore and the whole thing is very light. (Haven't gotten to rifling yet.) Loads from the muzzle. I use 214 grain, 19/32" steel ball bearings for ammo as well as 385 grain home made nail darts. The nail darts will shoot through a 2 x 6. The balls will blast through 5/8" plywood or right through a gallon milk jug full of water. Haven't tried 2 jugs yet.

IMG_0260.1621985693.jpg
That nail is 24d at least, I think.

My projectiles are very slow, more like bow range (390 fps with the steel balls, about 70 fpe) but...I am only operating at 155psi. I use only a bicycle pump to charge - all part of the challenge. The nice thing about the steel ball bearings is that, though expensive, I can trap them and shoot them over and over so the cost per shot goes way down. Of course, I do occasionally lose them. In the beginning I kept thinking I had made a sufficient trap for my homemade gun and ammo and then kept having to beef it up after losing my darts that went all the way through everything. 

I got my best 25 yard group the other day. 2.25" center to center. I know that is not good - but for my homemade PVC smooth bore muzzle loader and being a new shooter I was pleased. To be truthful, I don't do much better than that with my .22 springer.

IMG_0258.1621985736.jpg
Four shots pictured here. The missing third shot was a flyer way off to the upper right....course I'm not counting that one.

The adjustment that made the biggest improvement in accuracy was making a solenoid valve out of two carriage bolts and a PVC tee, that I could separate the trigger valve from the main body of the gun with a short air hose. Now I hold the gun against my shoulder with my left hand and my right hand operates the trigger valve with no pressure of any kind on the gun at all. Trigger pull doesn't move anything.

I made a peep sight from a finish nail for a front post and a large screw with a 3/16" hole drilled through the shaft to peep through for the adjustable rear sight.

Hope you found this entertaining.

- G 

Dude make some bolts that are a bit lo get than your darts and test on meat. You can make a YouTube video and I guarantee people here will watch. I find those builds highly entertaining and it gives you a fun toy to play around with. No laughs here. I really love the idea. I'm currently working on blueprints for a bait launcher using a bicycle pump. It's amazing what you can do on low pressure! 

It is surprising what low pressure can do if you have enough volume and a long enough barrel.

I want to test an even longer PVC barrel just to see how much more efficient I can get on 155 PSI. Something like Kentucky long rifle style, except that, because it is PVC, one will still be able to shoot it offhand no problem. It is so light. Also thinking about attempting to rifle the barrel - but I'm not sure how much difference it would make at the slow speeds I am getting.

Raden: I have begun experimenting with making some 6" to 12" bolts with field point arrowheads. They work great. Problem has been that I destroy or lose them too quickly. I need a better trap and maybe thicker shafts.

I have experimented with PVC barrel air guns.One thing I found was the barrel as you get longer, you reach a point where it does not help speed, and it loses accuracy.

It is from the PVC moving around, kind of like a shudder as the bullet goes through. I tried to tape sticks to the edge of the barrel, also a couple angle iron worked well.

I could change barrels and size of PVC for trying new things. For a 1/2" PVC you find wing nut electrical nuts would fit nicely. Does not take a lot of pressure to blast them

a long ways. You can kill rabbits and tree rats at close range. Also AA batteries with about 120 lbs will go through a 3/8" plywood! I played with some dowel rods making darts, it worked OK, but still need a better material.