It's kind of a airgun

My friend Mike stopped by my shop today. He needed some work done. He had a gun case with him, saying he had something for me. He new I have always drool over his Daisy VL. Opened the case and told me it was mine. He already has one in mint condition in the box. But picked this one up in a lot he bought, knowing how much I have wanted one he gifted it to me.
20210917_1152362.1631931376.jpg

Reactions: PumaCarl
What a buddy Mike is .Don't just love the air gun community and comradity.

Professor,

I think it's because all the good karma you generate being so faithful bringing us those vintage gun videos. Congratulations, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Mike, nicely done!

WM

Im on cloud nine. Have always dreamed of having one of these. Immediately found and bought 1000 rounds of ammo. That will last. I dont intend on shooting it much.

Sweet! All the way around SWEET! (huge smile)

For those who don't know what a Daisy VL is, here is a link to get you started: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_V/L

Very interesting gun! But not sure it qualifies as an "air gun"... (sigh)

It is a airgun but isn't at the same time. It's a underlever spring powered gun that used heat generation with the piston pressure to ignite the propellant and fire the projectile. 

A airgun firearm???

Sweet! All the way around SWEET! (huge smile)

For those who don't know what a Daisy VL is, here is a link to get you started: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_V/L

Very interesting gun! But not sure it qualifies as an "air gun"... (sigh)

It is a airgun but isn't at the same time. It's a underlever spring powered gun that used heat generation with the piston pressure to ignite the propellant and fire the projectile. 

A airgun firearm???

Well, the air is ONLY used to ignite the propellant which drives the projectile, so... it isn't truly an air gun because the propellant is not simply "un-ignited" (is this a word?) compressed air/gas.

The compressed air acts ONLY as a sort of firing pin, so to speak.

In any case, it is a very interesting gun and I had never heard of it until this thread! (smile)

Thanks for posting and I hope the moderators WILL leave this thread up as it is a very interesting piece of "airgun" history.

Yes it is a part of airgun history. That's why I posted it. I had the same thoughts. "Will Michael leave the post up" we will see.

Let us know how loud it is when you do shoot it. Or at least let ME know! LOL!

I did look up the ammo and saw some listed for $109 for 1000 rounds, so not too pricey if that is a real price considering the age and uniqueness of the gun.

It's a hybrid. I've never seen or heard of such a thing. Pretty neat!

Although I don't agree with the Alphabet org on lots of things... the Daisy V/L is, by definition, a firearm.

However, the history of the V/L and its unique way of igniting a propellant does make for some argument to leave this thread up, even on an airgun forum.

Just as long as this thread does not devolve into a discussion of firearms in general.

I had another thought on this gun. In the Wikipedia article, it says:

The rifle resembled a typical spring-air rifle, but the 2000° hot, high pressure air served not only to propel the projectile but also to ignite the propellant on the back of the V/L cartridge.

It also lists the specs as having a 1150fps velocity and that is with the propellant and a 29 grain projectile.

So, I was wondering how fast it would propel a pellet, not a slug, using ONLY the compressed air?

Here is another link for information about the Daisy V/L and the ammo it uses. https://tacticalbarrel.com/daisy-vl-rifle-part-1/

Not sure you would want to risk a stuck projectile, but I was just thinking... (grin)

IF the V/L can push a .22 pellet at a reasonable/usable speed without the propellant, then it does truly qualify as an airgun/hybrid.

Still looking to see if there is anything already out there about this hypothesis...

Oh, and here is another interesting link about the V/L. https://rockislandauction.blogspot.com/2015/05/daisyheddon-vl-rifle.html

From part 2 of pyramid air blog.

If we were to load and fire a .22 pellet in a VL system, it might come out the muzzle, but not very fast. There would be a lot of blow-by air because the pellet is too small the seal the bore. The first RWS Superdome I tried exited the barrel at 20-30 f.p.s. It simply dented the cardboard backer in the bullet trap. The second pellet remained stuck in the barrel.

From part 2 of pyramid air blog.

If we were to load and fire a .22 pellet in a VL system, it might come out the muzzle, but not very fast. There would be a lot of blow-by air because the pellet is too small the seal the bore. The first RWS Superdome I tried exited the barrel at 20-30 f.p.s. It simply dented the cardboard backer in the bullet trap. The second pellet remained stuck in the barrel.

Oh well... but then again, the FIRST pellet DID exit the barrel!

So, it IS an airgun! Not a good one, but... LOL!

Do you have a link to the pyramydair blog article? https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2021/05/daisy-vl-rifle-part-2/

p.s. Never mind. (grin)