It's 4 July and I shot

my HW35E .22 Silver/Walnut with open sights to hit four silver dollar targets at 25 yards offhand and then when those 4 iron discs were up I took out the D54 .20 HS and centered the top flapper with molten lead to release the lower 4 flappers to shoot at!

I used to shoot 100s of pellets in a month to specifically sight in all my air rifles and now I find they are all shooting perfectly in the offhand position I sighted them all into!

To get accuracy, stand and shoot hundreds of rounds and find that you can shoot an air rifle springer better than any rested position year after year season after season!

I see you post frequently about the 98 and the 54. Which do you find more accurate?

I'm curious because it seems contradictory that you say that spring guns are perfect from the factory and tuning is not needed, yet you clearly enjoy your heavily tuned 54.

Also if the 54 is your most accurate springer to 100, why don't you like other fixed barrel designs like the 97 and TX200.

Genuinely puzzled and looking for insight.

Happy 4th!

...My insurance company a call after a drunk driver decided to interrupt our 4th of July plans today while driving home from Church. At least there is one drunk driver off the roads today. The Police said it would be his second DUI offense and that they were going to throw the book at him for lying about his name to them. Although all torn up, I thought the Tacoma took the hard hit pretty well compared to the car that hit us. I estimate about a 45 to 50 MPH hit.. He hit the gas instead of the break coming down a hill according to my rear video camera footage. My wife and I are a little sore is all thank God. No shooting today.

20210704_111517.1625436227.jpg

20210704_111014.1625436501.jpg

@Bulletbob, I was over it the second I found out my wife was okay. I don't worry about material things so much.

@yeagger, Amen! No doubt God was involved in some way. If it were a different vehicle this fella hit the outcome could have been far worse. It is a 2008 I was hoping to hold on to a while longer with only having 92,000 on it.. There is a lot of damage after driving it home and looking over it. It 's going to be iffy I would guess with insurance.

I see you post frequently about the 98 and the 54. Which do you find more accurate?

I'm curious because it seems contradictory that you say that spring guns are perfect from the factory and tuning is not needed, yet you clearly enjoy your heavily tuned 54.

Also if the 54 is your most accurate springer to 100, why don't you like other fixed barrel designs like the 97 and TX200.

Genuinely puzzled and looking for insight.

Happy 4th!

I like HW in break barrels for accuracy and ease of shooting repeatedly without fatigue shot per shot.

The D54 was introduced to me years ago at a Big Five store near the high school I would have graduated from in Kentfield, CA.

I first held the thing and felt it was not delicate and fine and balanced like a regular HW Break Barrel with an obtrusive right hand side-lever on the right side of the stock misaligning my own "sense" of how a sidelever rifle can be balanced properly to shoot offhand and also to control the recoil. The rifle is heavy and they would not let me "test shoot" it.

I avoided the D54/D48 (I knew and held both models) until a forum topic was entered on the side lever and I explained my problem with them and then a professional sent me his own air rifle .20 D54 he had tuned up himself.

First of all, every sidelever in D54 can be tuned to racehorse performance and that is what was done on this rifle I borrowed from Hector Medina in Diana.

It had a cracked grip where it looked like the sidelever scraped off the wood in the top pistol grip and the stock was the ugliest stock I had seen and when I shot it I found shooting it with concentration on the first shot made that one first shot accurate every time without any pushing back of the rifle (D48 on rails) or scope mounts holding his scope: a Traditions 3-10X Black Powder Scope centered and aligned in bore to be a match rifle.

I asked him to make me one!

So he did!

The HW98s with scopes are pleasant easy and enjoyable to shoot repeatedly to the point of running out of pellets in a tin.

The D54 .20 with Traditions Black Powder Scope 3-10X 40mm and Zero Recoil rings and mounts make the rifle shoot as many shots as you are physically capable of in a standing position; but I now just "check it out" from time to time to make sure the zero is still there.

Elevation at 100 or so yards with the stepped crosswires of the Black Powder Scope make it possible to use them alone; or simply go ahead and adjust for W and E at that range and continue firing.

It is a good rifle and it was personalized in request.

The .20 is capable to do more than .177 or .22.

I wonder what the .25 D54 could do........

Also wondering if as the OP claims "HW anything that lots of folks think they need to replace to upgrade or rather DEGRADE their rifles with a compression spring and new "vortex" kit or some other dumb addition to a perfect rifle." why isn't a Titan spring a "degrade" or "dumb addition" to a 54? Any ideas?

It was Hector Medina's recommendation to replace the factory spring with a more consistent and lasting spring for the D48 or D54 and it happens to be Titan Springs which make, according to Hector, the most consistent springs lasting longer than any regular factory Diana spring already there.

The piston in my Diana D54 .20 is also honed and made of special metal better than regular Diana pistons. The rifle has been essentially replaced inside and out keeping the stock and the action to go into .20 with replaced L-W Barrel.

But if you just buy an HW98 in the caliber of your choice (.177, .20, .22, .25) you will most likely achieve any goal you want to once you have your pellet of choice sighted in to the scope. The scope can be mounted in zero recoil Diana type or fixed (at least for awhile without too much worry about breaking your glass) to SEE this and want to ENDEAVOR more to use the rifle at all extremes; meaning the scope has to have parallax adjustment and clean centered glass to make the most of it.

So to be clear you are not a tuner but you are qualified enough to say the following "...DEGRADE their rifles with a compression spring and new "vortex" kit or some other dumb addition to a perfect rifle." but the upgrades to YOUR rifle is OK!? I own 3 R11's all are tuned to one degree or another but state Beeman's like the R11 are not as good as an HW's (98)!? State they are degraded by tuning having no clue what was done to them?! Say they are perfect rifles and can not be improved upon!? State "Why should I be explaining this to you when you never had a sidelever like a D54 tuned in .20 caliber? having ZERO clue what I may own/have owned or what type of modifications were done to them!? I would NEVER mount a zero recoil mount to any of my rifles and HECTOR even modifies them. Far too tall and appear to now be discontinued? State "No Gas Ram is capable of Theoben 1999 Eliminator power is available anywhere."  when clearly the Dual Magnum and some Hatsans are more powerful?! State "The RWS 54 and 56 are not Dianas and they may be built in China." and pander this as truth?! State "carry on this thread of sidelever fever ignoring any other input different from your own opinion" when all you do is claim what you have and how you shoot is best or end of! State "The underlever design accompanied with the the extra motions of an underlever compared to an efficient break-barrel make me desire the underlever no more! but a sidelever with an anti beartrap mechanism is not extra motions!? Tell a member on their own post "the excellent HW98 to improve your own experiences beyond the simple TX200 and any others like it. German or English or Turkey or China or any other manufacturer trying to make air rifles do what an HW98 does everytime anyplace anywhere. Kindly said while I watch your smug outlook on a TX200 v HW98. Try the HW98 AGAINST your TX and then you'll get rid of it." and think this is fact or is OK to say?! If anything the 98 is simple compared to the TX's design. Some how you know he'll get rid of his TX which is the winningest FT rifle ever if he tries it against a 98!?

Here are the "Accuracy" comments on your profile;

Fischer