It Shoots! Diana Model 6M Reseal

This was certainly the most difficult airgun to reseal of any I’ve attempted.

I purchased this non-working pistol on ebay for far too much but it was kinda pretty. Of course the big hope is that the internals hadn’t been destroyed by firing after the seals had gone or that someone hadn’t made a hash of an attempt to fix it.

While getting it apart it appeared to be a typical story. It stopped shooting so someone just put it in it’s box and left it. The front piston seal was totally crumbled, classic. The pinion gears and the racks on the pistons were in fine shape.

I had it apart, cleaned up and ready to assemble when I found that the usually reliable airgun parts house where I bought the replacement seals had sent me the wrong ones. I had the rifle seals (28mm is memory serves). What’s more the pistol seals were now out of stock. So a quick virtual trip to Italy where I found the seals in stock. Prices were reasonable too except for shipping. (BTW Protek (UK) replied to an email the next day saying they had them. Seem like nice folks, I want to order from them in the future.)

As an old guy, I was worried that if I left the gun disassembled for too long I’d forget how to get it back together.

I finally got it completely assembled today and I’m amazed. It shoots wonderfully without noticeable recoil. Wow! I am thoroughly taken with this pistol. I will say that the cocking is pretty rough so I'm going to have to work on that.

Big thanks to Mr. Garvin for this:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery.com/vintage-diana-resources/diana-milbro-airguns-manuals/

and Mr. Carter for this:

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/resurrecting-diana-model-6m-pistol-part_14.html

I couldn’t have done it without them. This is what it looks like:

P3290004.1648581206.jpeg

These Diana Giss air guns are really nicely made and shoot like a dream. I’m hoping that I’ll come across a Model 10 one day as well.

Nice gun and congrats on picking it up and repairing it. I always like to see the heirlooms put back into useful service.

I sent my 6G out to be done because at the time I was not up to the task. It's nice to have it back shooting again for sure.

Yes, these things shoot excellent and no recoil from a spring gun is awesome.

I expect someone will be putting rounds down range with these things when we be pushing up daisies.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I bought one for $250.00 delivered from a shooter in Arizona last summer.

Seller said it might need seals so I ordered them while waiting for the pistol.

Shoots 480fps with 7.0 and the seals are fine.

Some POS stole my front sight blade and screw (cause they can’t fall out by themselves) so I had to get new ones from JG Airguns.

It shoots a bit high…

BF21BDAB-AFD6-43E5-9CF1-6BD210A4C83C.1648590404.jpeg

Reactions: maxtrouble
Congrats! Great classic old pistol - excellent work by you - and WOW, thanks for those awesome links! The Giss-system DIana models 6 and 10 are the greatest break-barrel springer pistols that will ever be made...period.

That being said, I've never understood the sights on the 6M! The rear sight is same as the models 5 and 6G - which had a much higher front sight. The front is from the model 10 - which had a much lower rear sight. I guess if you use a rather extreme "6 o'clock" hold on a 10-meter pistol target it kinda sorta works, but for normal point-of-aim close-range plinking it's always gonna shoot high. 

Reactions: beerthief
I have a Diana 6M that is missing its rear sight. I can buy a generic type peep sight that mounts to the 3/8" dovetail. However, I need to know the approximate height above the top of the dovetail mount it should be. If anyone with one could take a measurement to the top of the V of the sight, that would be helpful. I am thinking trying this one, but not sure if it will fit. Great gun. I have a scope on it for now.

I have a Diana 6M that is missing its rear sight. I can buy a generic type peep sight that mounts to the 3/8" dovetail. However, I need to know the approximate height above the top of the dovetail mount it should be. If anyone with one could take a measurement to the top of the V of the sight, that would be helpful. I am thinking trying this one, but not sure if it will fit. Great gun. I have a scope on it for now.
I was reading through old postings and noticed yours and your mention of a 3/8” dovetail. I have a 6M and there is no dovetail; the sight, which has a curved base, has two screws which attach it directly to the barrel. Are you sure your gun isn’t a 6GS, which had a factory scope mount and scope?

I was reading through old postings and noticed yours and your mention of a 3/8” dovetail. I have a 6M and there is no dovetail; the sight, which has a curved base, has two screws which attach it directly to the barrel. Are you sure your gun isn’t a 6GS, which had a factory scope mount and scope?
The remark referred to to the front sight.