• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

It is so much easier with powder burners….

For my next mule deer hunting I changed the scope of my 30-06…..

It took me two 15 minutes sessions shooting on total less than 20 shots to get the rifle zeroed at 220 yards and at the end of the second session I was able to hit a clay at 420 yards.

On the other hand I have many weeks deciding which .30 Cal should I bring with me…. With which scope I get better results at 50 yards (zero) and up to 200 yards (not thinking I will shot at that distance, but among 100 and 150 maybe). Which give more shots per fill, which one has a better safety….. which one is more reliable, which one is easier to handle, with which one recording would be easier, which one has the best possible power, which one would make me to waste less air ……..

I am confident that I should hit the deer with the 30-06 if it gives me chance.

I am conscious that in order to be able to shoot something bigger than a rabbit with the air rifle I will need to be lucky…..

Last edited:
For my next mule deer hunting I changed the scope of my 30-06…..

It took me two 15 minutes sessions shooting on total less than 20 shots to get the rifle zeroed at 220 yards and at the end of the second session I was able to hit a clay at 420 yards.

On the other hand I have many weeks deciding which .30 Cal should I bring with me…. With which scope I get better results at 50 yards (zero) and up to 200 yards (not thinking I will shot at that distance, but among 100 and 150 maybe). Which give more shots per fill, which one has a better safety….. which one is more reliable, which one in more handle, with which one recording would be easier, which one has the best possible power, which one would make me to waste less air ……..

I am confident that I should hit the deer with the 30-06 if it gives me chance.

I am conscious that in order to be able to shoot something bigger than a rabbit with the air rifle I will need to be lucky…..
I sent three, 2-3\4 magnum slugs out of my 12 gauge Benelli Nova pump gun yesterday… Staying in practice if you will. The violence and recoil reminded quite starkly why I love using airguns... The shooting is tranquil as compared to firearms.

I would not consider long range firearms..because here in PR even if the land is yours..you can't shoot PB on your land mostly because they is nothing to hunt .. and ranges end at best at 250y that for a heavy 224 - 70gr bt you can't mis all day long it would be absolutely boring .. only military ranges extend 1000y+ n not so easy to have a date aviable to use them.. but air gun you could go as long as the land let you.

• Wow
Reactions: SHOMER
I've been watching Texas Plinkers, 1,000 yard, 1 MOA. That separates the something from the something. Generally they use 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor with a few Grendals tossed in, one was a guy with a 223...he FINALLY connected which gave him 3rd place. I'm pretty sure I could do that with my .22 Maverick compact. LMAO.

I've been watching Texas Plinkers, 1,000 yard, 1 MOA. That separates the something from the something. Generally they use 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor with a few Grendals tossed in, one was a guy with a 223...he FINALLY connected which gave him 3rd place. I'm pretty sure I could do that with my .22 Maverick compact. LMAO.
I be enjoying them videos also. Have yet to see someone get first shot on the board.

Reactions: markhooper
I love watching the long range airforce texan 45 shooters.. although I dispise having to have a gun tethered to anything I love watching the long range shooting and waiting for the impact.. same with the Quigly bucket challenge in airguns..
mark

My preference for any large game. This or one of my muzzleloaders.

20200901_181545_4.jpg

To me powder burners are no. 1. Air rifles a far second. I like them and shoot small game with them but they are definitely better choices than Airguns.

For my uses air rifles have a utilitarian niche that fill a few specific needs. If muzzle blast isn't an issue there are very few things an airgun does better than a shotgun. Consider that when shooting into tall perches the shotgun has much less range than an airgun dropping shot about 200 yards out vs. 800ish.

ETA- I've killed possums out to 160 with the Maverick but nothing air powered compares to the DRT WOW factor of a 243 launching 55 BK or a 75 gr HP through the viewfinder of a thermal.

Last edited:
For my uses air rifles have a utilitarian niche that fill a few specific needs. If muzzle blast isn't an issue there are very few things an airgun does better than a shotgun. Consider that when shooting into tall perches the shotgun has much less range than an airgun dropping shot about 200 yards out vs. 800ish.
I think air guns have a role for certain things and are probably the best choice for a specific job and I enough shooting them for my purposes. I have only been doing PCPs about a year and they serve a purpose for competition and small game hunting for me. They are a blast to shoot. I just think to many people think they are the do all end all for everything and they aren't. I'm glad we have the opportunity to use them and I will continue to use them within their limits. I choose the best platform for what I am doing or hunting. All platforms have drawbacks and issues. I like having the options to choose the best tool for the job.

I think air guns have a role for certain things and are probably the best choice for a specific job and I enough shooting them for my purposes. I have only been doing PCPs about a year and they serve a purpose for competition and small game hunting for me. They are a blast to shoot. I just think to many people think they are the do all end all for everything and they aren't. I'm glad we have the opportunity to use them and I will continue to use them within their limits. I choose the best platform for what I am doing or hunting. All platforms have drawbacks and issues. I like having the options to choose the best tool for the job.
I have taken 4 white Taited deer (up to now), javalinas, coyotes, foxes, wild turkeys, geese, ducks, doves..... With air rifles...... But it is much more complicated, difficult, more challenge..... A trophy with air rifle worths many times the same trophy with a powder burner.

If I get to take a mule deer with my air rifle.... Believe me !!!.... I will show it here up to the moderator gets boring !

I'm with you on this . I've been shooting / hunting since boyhood . When I got my first springer airgun I was amazed at the potential ( after breaking it in ) ! After trying out a pcp at Utah Airgun's range I was hooked ! What the airguns do is give me more shooting opportunities . Places that are not suitable to use even a suppressed .22 lr can probably use a pcp to take care of critters ( 65 groundhogs this summer ). Pest birds etc., that I couldn't think about shooting in my area w/ a pb open up a lot of shooting opportunities now . I just smacked two crows yesterday out of a tall tree at 73 & 80 yrds w/ my Hatsan Factor using 21.53 gr JTS pellets . These have a flat nose that give them the ballistics of a brick I suppose , so they won't go far out in the field . If I were to try that w/ a rimfire . I have to worry about a mile & more for impact . Moral of the story , pick your task & outfit your gun & ammo for it , (pellets for close , slugs for further, low power indoors etc. ) Think of even big bores as something akin to muzzleloading guns & archery tackle .