It is so easy to forget how much fun springers are

When the weather gets nice after a long winter, I tend to move away from the springers I shoot nearly every day through the winter months, utilizing my indoor range, to focus on my pcps at longer and more challenging outdoors targets.

This weekend, I took a break from the pcps and first reached in the vault for an HW98 .20 cal. It shot the first 10 shots dead center into a half inch group at 20 yards. I proceeded to then shoot 40mm spinners all of the way out to 75 yards with no misses.

Springers can be so deadly and are so simple, I am afraid those that started with pcps and haven’t experienced quality tuned springers don’t realize what they are missing.

I started with a Gamo Swarm .177 and wasn't really thrilled with the accuracy. I then saw a Gamo Magnum in .22 and thought to myself "the problem is most certainly a lack of power!" Suprise, suprise, I was still disappointed BUT it did seem to shoot a bit better. Used it for a bit and then hopped on the PCP train with a Marauder and a Dreanline. Both guns perform beyond my expectations but holy crap does it get boring to shoot them inside 60yds.

Ended up buying my first quality springer after that (a .22 HW97K) and the rest is kind of history. There is nothing out there that beats the way a well made piston gun shoots. All of my spring guns have been tuned except for one, my HW50S. It shoots exceptionally well with the factory powerplant and that HW twang and buzz just makes me smile. Every time I shoot it, it reminds me of the first time I shot my 97 and makes fall in love with them all over again.

When the weather gets nice after a long winter, I tend to move away from the springers I shoot nearly every day through the winter months, utilizing my indoor range, to focus on my pcps at longer and more challenging outdoors targets.

This weekend, I took a break from the pcps and first reached in the vault for an HW98 .20 cal. It shot the first 10 shots dead center into a half inch group at 20 yards. I proceeded to then shoot 40mm spinners all of the way out to 75 yards with no misses.

Springers can be so deadly and are so simple, I am afraid those that started with pcps and haven’t experienced quality tuned springers don’t realize what they are missing.
Yeah I agree,
I started with Springer in 2012, moved into PCP's until buying my first Weihrauch in 2016. Was all Springer until 2020 when I got a RAW HM100xLRT.

Tuning for optimal performance in both disaplines is a very interesting adventure - blending old and new technologies.👍

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
62D0278D-5F52-45E9-AED2-CCBE0B2DC28A.jpeg Weihrauch corner. These Weihrauch’s are no older than 3 yrs, all mostly current, I’ve only cleaned them, due to personal projects with priority (which will save marriage).
Usually shoot 2-4 different guns daily. Looking forward to changing springs and pistons seals and custom stocks.
Have enough to keep me satisfied for 3 lifetimes. No desire whatsoever for PCP. Amazed at at their shooting capabilities though.
Ordered 2 Weihrauch’s yesterday HW97k and HW98 both in .20. Ordered last year, try again.
Needless to say I enjoy the Springers as well. Crow

Glad to chime in again for another round of love for the springer category. But only so much in this installment on the familiar theme. My shooting has evolved from working the lever on the red ryder, pumping the 760 and Sheridan, cocking the Beeman R9, HW50s to airing up the Impact, HW44, or K12. I still enjoy shooting the springers, but the physics of power delivery via compressed air is so much smoother and quieter than even the best tuned springer. I shoot much more now (HW44 in heavy rotation), enjoy it more, and the dog doesn't mind the noise.

Kudos to the airgun industry for finding more accurate, quiet ways of slinging lead. I wonder what will be next.

Cool! All great replies. I always enjoy your participation, Crowe, and the views of your beautiful collection.

Probably being overly cautious, I refuse to share my vault photos for obvious reasons (beyond my ammo rack), but past the pcps are close to two dozen Weihrauchs and Air Arms springers, some new and some decades old. Everyone of them as been repowered and tuned - some with a heritage or story - some that have had care by legendary names like Paul Watts and Scott Schneider.

Gives me something to do all winter long. Only one RWS in my collection.

• Wow
Reactions: ITACUD

How true. I got fed up with my PCP leaking and just put it in the closet for four years. Had a lot going on then, playing primary care giver in two Hospice situations, cancer diagnosis that I'm still dealing with etc. Time passes fast even when you're not having fun. I picked up my old trusty M34 bought new in 98 and wondered why I had parked it. I guess the power, fast repeat shots etc. of the PCPs got to me. Having been through a lot I enjoyed the zen like peacefulness and simplicity of a German made springer. The only problem is my buddy let me try out his TX200 in walnut. Now my springer standards are very high. I love my Diana but that TX 200 is a thing of beauty. Someday I must have one. For now, I'm on the slow hunt for an older Diana M350 in .22 in excellent condition. Might take a while, but I will find one. Currently working on a deal on 20+ year old Beeman springer in .20 cal. Shot it 17 years ago and can't remember if it's a R7 or, hopefully, R9.

A good springer is fun. A Weirhauch springer and some german pellets are a hoot! Weirhauch springers lift my spirits and let me enjoy the moment. The quality of the action and the cocking cycle are very smooth. I am hard pressed to chose between the HW95 or the HW30 as my favorite springer. I think I will take one of each!

I agree. I don't have any PCP's, but springers are my favorite. I like them better than the couple of NP's I have.

Been into airgunning since the early 60's. The last few years mostly shooting an FWB-300 mini without any thought of looking back. Then one day I saw where a place had several older BSA Meteors with a couple in .177. I'd had one years ago in .22 and felt it to be underpowered for any distances over 15 yards but had liked the way the gun shot so purchased one of these in .177. After going through it and shooting it for a while I'm impressed. The accuracy is extremally good with the domed Super Mags. and the firing cycle is wonderful. Because of a bad should I really appreciate the light cocking effort and lack of recoil. If you run across one of these I recommend you grab it. Parts are readily available.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Hello,I'm new here tonight. I ed tried to find and introductory Forum to post. I recently resurrected my very old pellet guns.: Benjamin 347. Daisy Red Ryder, a Daisy Powerline and Daisy BB pistol. couple still work. Though research looking for a gun I used to own 63 years ago, Crosman 130, I saw the most amazing air guns and realized I had a lot to learn. I happened along Airgun Nation and hope to learn as much as I can here.

Reactions: Greenarrow
How true. I got fed up with my PCP leaking and just put it in the closet for four years. Had a lot going on then, playing primary care giver in two Hospice situations, cancer diagnosis that I'm still dealing with etc. Time passes fast even when you're not having fun. I picked up my old trusty M34 bought new in 98 and wondered why I had parked it. I guess the power, fast repeat shots etc. of the PCPs got to me. Having been through a lot I enjoyed the zen like peacefulness and simplicity of a German made springer. The only problem is my buddy let me try out his TX200 in walnut. Now my springer standards are very high. I love my Diana but that TX 200 is a thing of beauty. Someday I must have one. For now, I'm on the slow hunt for an older Diana M350 in .22 in excellent condition. Might take a while, but I will find one. Currently working on a deal on 20+ year old Beeman springer in .20 cal. Shot it 17 years ago and can't remember if it's a R7 or, hopefully, R9.
I you remember it being small and or remarkably easy to c0ck it's an R7. Both excellent guns. IMO the R7 is more fun. The R9 is a full size, fairly powerful rifle that's better suited to hunting and longer ranges. I hope I sparked your memory so you know what you're looking to get.