It is official, lead ban in Denmark

I am happy that qball has used a thoughtful approach to address the nonsense some people put forth.
Ducks were eating grain that contained lead, the lead poisoning caused the birds eggs to become too soft and not hatch,thus the bird and Duck populations were instep decline and that is one reason for no lead.
Now, if it becomes between the Ducks and ignorance ,I am taking Ducks.

I am happy that qball has used a thoughtful approach to address the nonsense some people put forth.
Ducks were eating grain that contained lead, the lead poisoning caused the birds eggs to become too soft and not hatch,thus the bird and Duck populations were instep decline and that is one reason for no lead.
Now, if it becomes between the Ducks and ignorance ,I am taking Ducks.

To my understanding biggest reason for federal lead shotgun ammo ban is because birds actually eat small pebbles/lead shots to help grind up food. Along with extremely strong stomach acid they get lead poisoning MUCH more so than any other animal. For people who loves ducks, geese and other wild birds for food it's really a bad deal. It is perplexing some so called hunters complains about a few bucks extra for a few pieces of ammo for an activity they supposedly loved. I don't LOVE hunting but still want to preserve everything about it because I do enjoy it once a while. I you can't kill a duck with steel shots then you can't kill the duck with lead shots either. As far as lead poisoning on birds of pray is a bit more grey, some bullets do fragment and stay in the meat but some don't. Then again what's a big deal with a few extra bucks for a few hunting bullets, no one is shooting thousands of rounds of hunting bullets lead core or not.

Back to CA hunting topic, it's the law here and we(most people) will abide by the law as law abiding citizens. If we don't like the law then we will gather signatures and rally support to vote for change like civilized people living in this century. Again airgun laws here in California is actually shockingly lax besides not able to hunt big games and most of use like to see it stay that way. Please remember to think about consequence of your actions not only immediately but later on down the road for everyone, freedom does not mean freedom from consequences.

For OP I really hope one of the manufactures will start to make quality lead free ammo for your hunting needs. I can see lead-free slugs can be very good. I shoot lead free pellets in my yard when taking care of house sparrows and starlings at lowly 3 fpe out to 35 yards so it can be done depends on the target, this could mean you have to sneak closer.

To my understanding biggest reason for federal lead shotgun ammo ban is because birds actually eat small pebbles/lead shots to help grind up food. Along with extremely strong stomach acid they get lead poisoning MUCH more so than any other animal. For people who loves ducks, geese and other wild birds for food it's really a bad deal. It is perplexing some so called hunters complains about a few bucks extra for a few pieces of ammo for an activity they supposedly loved. I don't LOVE hunting but still want to preserve everything about it because I do enjoy it once a while. I you can't kill a duck with steel shots then you can't kill the duck with lead shots either. As far as lead poisoning on birds of pray is a bit more grey, some bullets do fragment and stay in the meat but some don't. Then again what's a big deal with a few extra bucks for a few hunting bullets, no one is shooting thousands of rounds of hunting bullets lead core or not.

Back to CA hunting topic, it's the law here and we(most people) will abide by the law as law abiding citizens. If we don't like the law then we will gather signatures and rally support to vote for change like civilized people living in this century. Again airgun laws here in California is actually shockingly lax besides not able to hunt big games and most of use like to see it stay that way. Please remember to think about consequence of your actions not only immediately but later on down the road for everyone, freedom does not mean freedom from consequences.

For OP I really hope one of the manufactures will start to make quality lead free ammo for your hunting needs. I can see lead-free slugs can be very good. I shoot lead free pellets in my yard when taking care of house sparrows and starlings at lowly 3 fpe out to 35 yards so it can be done depends on the target, this could mean you have to sneak closer.
Fantastic post.

Reactions: qball
Agreed, being good stewards of environment/ecology and acting responsibly are recognized as essential by all the hunters I know.
As an aside note, I have free range chickens on my ranch. No lead is shot in areas accessible to them or is contained in shooting targets designed to capture lead. My understanding is that susceptibility of lead poisoning in birds comes from the ingested lead getting ground up in the gizzard by the pebbles the birds also eat thus increasing the surface area that can be absorbed in the gut. Mammals don't have this issue because the lead usually remains in one piece as it passes through digestive track with little absorption.

Reactions: qball
Paragraph. 3. Projectiles in hunting ammunition for rifled weapons containing a concentration of lead equal to or greater than 1% by weight shall not be included or used for hunting or Regulation, CF. however, stk. 4.

Paragraph. 4. Hunting ammunition with rimfire or hunting ammunition fired from air and spring weapons is exempt from the requirement in Paragraph 1. 3.

Paragraph. 5. No weapons capable of using ammunition of Calibre 50 BMG may be used for hunting and regulation purposes.

Denmark becomes first country in the world to ban lead in hunting rifle ammunition

Interesting topic!

I am always interested when I see people who want “no regulations”. In my opinion, not only is this unworkable in any society, but I believe that the people who write this imagine that it will give them “freedom” without imagining that anyone else will want to do something that impinges that ”freedom”.

My advice is ”Be careful what you wish for”.

Someone asking for zero regulation and the freedom to do what they want better be prepared for a bunch of other people to come and do what they want to the no reg. Guys. We all like to imaginethat we are not just self reliant, but in some way supreme, in that our abilities will allow us to prevail in any circumstance. I’ve been around long enough to know that this just ain’t so.

We live in a civilized society (most of the time for most of us). This inevitably involves compromise and some form of regulation to benefit the whole. This will always restrict some peoples ”freedom”, but also lays out “rules of the road”, like driving on the right side of the road. That’s a restriction right there on my freedom to drive on whichever side of the dam road i want to drive on. But can I really imagine a workable traffic plan that didn’t involve some such regulation? I’ve lived and driven in third world (although sometimes Boston MA seems to be like that😂) places where the traffic regulations existed, but were more of a vague concept than strict rules. Believe me when I say, it doesn’t work so well.

What I hope for is a light touch from the regulators, and that they actually have some reasonable idea about the topic. However none of these are guaranteed, and often the level of regulation is a response by the broader society to the behavior of those (often a small group) who cause many problems for the whole.

As a person who shoots a fair bit, both airguns and the other sort, a lead ban is a pain in the ass. On the other hand, do I want lead all over my property and my environment? Nope. Do I want coal fired power plants spewing particulate matter over my house? Nope. Does that mean we need to ban all coal derived power generation immediately, even if it means we are cold and dark all winter? Nope. But I can certainly live with a balance, for example one in which coal may be gradually phased out and pollution reduced, or where lead may be allowed for target shooting but restricted for hunting (e.g. for waterfowl in almost all the country).

There is no perfect answer or solution because we don’t live in a perfect world. But that shouldn’t stop us from trying to make it better.

Chris

Last edited:
Habitat destruction, cars, domestic cats, highline wires and now wind turbines kill far more birds than lead. If eating game killed by lead was bad for you it would have shown up in me long ago. Look at the source where all the warnings are coming from. Believe what you want, I'm scared to death that if people continue to flock ( pun intended) to the east and west coast. The content will break in half and sink to the bottom of the ocean. My fears are no less science based than the lead banning B.S.

Your fears are just that, your fears. Who knows, they may have some validity… or not. But science based? Nope..
Science based? Who's science? In the 1970's science was saying the Earth was cooling down and by 2000 we would be in a ice age. These same science people now SAY the Earth is warming up and we will all die and now business's must pay for their damage or carbon footprint, with lots of money. How about everything that's happened in the last 2 years... ALL SCIENCE based? More like circular seasoning taken as science fact....thats the problem with the certain SCIENCE BASED claims as actual truth and fact mentality. You choose what or who you believe, science based or not. SCIENCE has been proven wrong many times by others of SCIENCE... and you choose whom to believe.

Science based? Who's science? In the 1970's science was saying the Earth was cooling down and by 2000 we would be in a ice age. These same science people now SAY the Earth is warming up and we will all die and now business's must pay for their damage or carbon footprint, with lots of money. How about everything that's happened in the last 2 years... ALL SCIENCE based? More like circular seasoning taken as science fact....thats the problem with the certain SCIENCE BASED claims as actual truth and fact mentality. You choose what or who you believe, science based or not. SCIENCE has been proven wrong many times by others of SCIENCE... and you choose whom to believe.
Well, obviously you can choose what, or whom to believe. and science, like all human activity, is subject to bias and error. However, the theoretical and experimental aproaches of science have been the basis behind human progress over the last 200 years. Its not simply about stating a belief and then saying that it is scientifically valid.

We are sitting here, reading and replying using computers, smart phones and tablets, over something called the Internet, all of it based on a combination of scientific theories such as the Theory of Relativity, Quantum Theory and basic Electrical Theory. Notice that they are all called “Theory”. That means its the most complete description and understanding we have of a particular phenomenon, and it is subject to change when we come up with a better, experimentally verified, explanation.

Believe what you will. or who. I’ll stick to the Scientific Method and the things that have gotten us antibiotics, cell phones, satellites, computers, clean water, lead free gasoline, vaccines (!!) etc. and I’ll stay away from the snake oil purveyors and anecdote quoters masquerading as scientists.

Read my original post. I am not some extremist who believes all of anything. But to bring it back to the original premise, I know that lead isn’t a great thing to ingest for anyone. we replaced lead in gasoline years ago because foot he proven effect the atmospheric lead particles were having on people and on the general environment. Similarly, we know about the effect of lead in the food chain, especialily on birds and similar creatures that tend to ingest and grind it up in their gizzards. Calling this ”lead banning BS” isn’t science in any sense.

Anyway, I hope that all of us here in the US have a great 4th of July. Evryone else, have a happy Monday.

Chris

We all have Galileo Galilei to thank for going around in circles; ignorance can be corrected by actually studying what you are a talking about, thoughts are not facts...
We own a house in a small town of ten people,all live there because it is out in the "sticks"and they want to be left alone,3 are over 6'5",they also live there because they got
301.JPG
tired of being hassled by small people.
We invite the Sheriffs to our parties,not so much the game wardens.Hunting,deer,ducks,lots of fishing and BBQ's....Happy 4th to all and love for all and that's all folks.

109.JPG

Well, obviously you can choose what, or whom to believe. and science, like all human activity, is subject to bias and error.
I couldn't agree with you anymore...
Believe what you will. I’ll stay away from the snake oil purveyors and anecdote quoters masquerading as scientists.

Chris
When one group of scientists have a theory or outcome they say is fact and press it on the populace....any other scientist who disagrees or refutes their facts are called EXACTLY this...as the last 2 years have blatantly proven.
Enjoy our Independence Day. Freedom and rights are never free.Take care..

Over in the U.K. we have the lead ban hanging over out heads. Shooter are buying pellets and slugs like no tomorrow the price has gone from about £10 a tin to just short of £20 it mental and getting way expensive I shoot every day 7 days a week and normally about a tin of pellets each time.

Question, will the ban proposed in UK be out right ban lead ammo period or just for hunting?

Many from out of state cry tyranny about CA’s lead ban don’t quite realize it is for HUNTING ONLY, we still target shoot with lead ammo in national parks and BLM where and when is allowed. we have NOT gone as far as limiting lead only to shooting ranges that reclaims lead yet and very unlikely.