• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Issue with my refilling from my 6.8l 4500psi CF tank

Milf Dots

Jul 7, 2022
Aloha
The other day I was out shooting my rifle. Which was the FX impact M3 and when my pressure got low, I hooked up my CF tank to refill the pressure at 190 bar and I slowly opened the valve to repressurize the bottle on the gun, but it would only pressurize to about 260 bar with the valve completely open it wouldn't go all the way to 300 bar. This happened twice to Me. The temperature outside was about 45degrees Fahrenheit, so it was quite cold. But I'm quite new to ant issues and resolving them with a CF tank. Has this happened to anyone else? Could it be the temperature outside was affecting airflow? Maybe the valve I have ? Which is the IORMAN one off of amazon with the red valve handle. Any help would be awesome!

Regardless that you have a 300 or 400 or 500 bar bottle, but the gun was designed with tolerances on seals (orings) not to exceed 250 bar. Imagine in hot or cold how the tolerances can seal the same. Car turbos not perform the same in different climate or altitude, Florida or Canada, sea level or high lands.
We need to be reasonable what to expect and how to handle.

Last edited:
Reactions: qball
The only thing I can think of is the check valve isn't opening very far, and when filling slowly, a sufficient differential pressure isn't being maintained and the check valve is closing. There is a good opportunity for it to occur if the check has an assist spring.

To better explain the dynamics at play here...if at any point during the fill, the check valve closes, it will require a pretty substantial pressure differential to open. For example I grabbed a Foster fitting from my parts box and its integral check has a 0.130" dia pin and an O-ring with a sealing diameter of approximately 0.150". So in a hypothetical initial state where the gun is pressurized at 260 bar, hitting it with 4500psi (310 bar) is insufficient to push it open. That's because there's about 67lbs of force holding the valve closed versus only about 60lbs of force trying to push it open.

Regardless that you have a 300 or 400 or 500 bar bottle, but the gun was designed with tolerances on seals (orings) not to exceed 250 bar. Imagine in hot or cold how the tolerances can seal the same. Car turbos not perform the same in different climate or altitude, Florida or Canada, sea level or high lands.
We need to be reasonable what to expect and how to handle.
That's not true, the impact m3 was designed for the use of 300 bar bottles. It just comes stock with a 250bar bottle This is directly from the mouths of FX technicians.

Tank heated so much if it was filled from empty that when it cooled down the prresure inside droped. I fill my tank at the fire station from 200-300 bar.When it cooles down the prresure inside is only around 270-280 bar.
If i would fill it from 0-300 bar the difference in pressure drop would be bigger because of extra heat and expansion of air.

Last edited:
Here's my .02 cents. I think there isn't an issue other than the two gauges don't have the same accuracy. Unless you had digital gauges on both your tank and your air gun there is typically a difference in the pressure reading on the gauges. I've had lots of times when a tank is reading higher than a PCP gauge when both are wide open. For instance, the tank will read that it has 3800 psi remaining and the rifle gauge stops when it reaches 3600 psi. Temperature only is a factor if the tank and rifle at two widely different temperatures during a fill. For instance, the rifle was in a cold car trunk but the tank was in a warm house. The 28mm analog gauges on most air rifles are often less precise than the large output gauge on air tanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: starlingassn