• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is this the correct SCBA tank valve to use?

I want to pickup a 4500psi SCBA cylinder to carry my compressed air, but I am unsure about the type of valve I need to get for the tank so that I can get it charged locally or by myself whenever I buy a HP compressor. Is the valve on this tank the correct type I should be looking for?

1593519812_4613546005efb2ec472d272.21794266.jpg

IMO. If you have a choice of valves, the DIN 300 type is the best for airgun use. There is infinitely more choice for filling adaptors and dive shops will be more willing to fill tanks with that type of valve. Lots of people are using CGA 347 type valves because that's the type that the US fire departments have adopted as their standard and they come preinstalled on the ex fireman bottles. The valve in your photo has a CGA347 socket but it has a one-way device and is only for filling purposes. The outlet is that large male quick release fitting on the side. There have been a few requests for advice about that type of valve on this forum lately. I think that it is possible to modify them but it's probably cheaper and less hassle just to get a new valve. You may be able to pick up a used normal CGA347- SCBA valve for free but if you are going to buy a new valve, get the DIN 300 type. 

Joe Brancato is the place to buy this stuff. You may find cheaper but not by much and you’ll get what you need the first time. The knob to the right side is the release valve which you have to have closed when you fill. After filling you close the big knob on the top and turn the small valve on the right to release air pressure. Some of these valve assembles come with release valves which are really hard to use.

1593537444_13452315195efb73a46cd8d4.77201441.jpeg