Is this normal?

For the most part the individual parts quality is fine. It's the assembly and occasionally the machining where they've been dropping the ball. It's been going on since just prior to the covid era. Covid related shortages of quality labor has further hurt the end product. They're still worth buying because the quality of the components and designs can still build you a beautiful shooting rifle
As an auto mechanic I can assure you the standards these guns are still built too is absolutely fine. My job these days is basically replacing engines, transmissions, and high dollar radios on cars built since 2019, many of which are still under 60k miles. Car costs are only up like 50% though so you'd think the quality would still be top tier....

Are the Vortex seals better quality? Seems like seals cracking after only 1500 shots is way too soon.
I put a Vortek seal in my .22 HW97K 3yrs ago and it still looks as good as the day I put it in there last I checked. Easily 20k through that gun since.

Those HW seals start to crack well before 1500 shots. Whether that's the seal quality or overlubing and dieseling I'm not sure though. I would assume the latter is the main cause of the seals going bad.

Reactions: Deadeye Dick
I put a Vortek seal in my .22 HW97K 3yrs ago and it still looks as good as the day I put it in there last I checked. Easily 20k through that gun since.

Those HW seals start to crack well before 1500 shots. Whether that's the seal quality or overlubing and dieseling I'm not sure though. I would assume the latter is the main cause of the seals going bad.
Thanks. I've got a Diana 48 that I've had for almost a couple years now, but I doubt I have 300 shots through it yet.
I did find a Vortex kit for it and wonder what improvements I might realize if I installed it? I'm in no hurry to do so.

Thanks. I've got a Diana 48 that I've had for almost a couple years now, but I doubt I have 300 shots through it yet.
I did find a Vortex kit for it and wonder what improvements I might realize if I installed it? I'm in no hurry to do so.
In the last month or so I installed 12 Vortek spring kits. Every one was an improvement to the gun. Crow

The inevitable question, is the installation hard or easy?
I’ve never done it before reading this forum. Even cleaning the internals always hesitant. My buddy that got me started and where I first bought my first few guns said “Ohhh don’t touch the insides”. Complicated. That’s my start.
Watched u-tube on disassembly and talked to a few members. After a dozen rebuilds I’m enjoying this immensely. One word of caution the parts are sharp, I’ve gashed myself twice without even knowing.
‘The only thing you might have to pick up is the brake cleaner to degrease. Much easier.
As long as you go through the proper procedure, you will have no problem. You’ll be amazed. Crow

Reactions: Deadeye Dick
Once you do it once and know what to expect its pretty straightforward from there on out. The full power 97K is under a decent amount of preload though so you need to grip that end cap tight when you twist it off because it will go flying through a window and/or take some teeth with it as it lets loose. Heavy gloves are highly recommended on that gun.

To put it back together put the end cap on the floor and push the gun down onto it and the spring and give it a few twists until the threads catch. You want gloves for that part too. If the end cap slips out from under the gun the main tube will cut you good.

This is all much easier if its a 12ftlb spring or you have a compressor. Ive never needed a compressor though so to each their own.

The 48 is a little bit different but still pretty straightforward. The only part you need to really pay attention too is the cocking arm linkage. Its adjustable so if you reinstall it one turn in or one turn out, it may not function properly. Also, if you want to take the compression tube out you need to get an allen key inside the transfer port area to remove the cocking arm stud. Not a huge deal though.

Also, I'm not sure if this applies to the 48 or not but the two large trigger assembly pins only punch out one way. I believe the come out on the cocking lever side of the gun. Also try not to disturb the smaller trigger pins that are installed haphazardly in the trigger unit

Last edited:
Forgot one thing about Dianas. Take a 4×4 and drill a hole that the safety button can sit in while you remove tension from the spring otherwise you run the very strong possibility of snapping it off.
I think I'll leave it alone for now. I intend to start shooting it more as the weather starts to warm up. ;)

Reactions: Sqwirl57
I use a carriage bolt that the head fit the inside of a seal kinda the same as the piston button/anvil . Then a hi/lo speed drill mounted in a vice ( or secure in some way) to hold it then on low and chucked it up pop seal on it to turn it .

I've also strapped a drill to a 2x6 as a quickie when the vice is in use . ( Rachet strap).. lol. Sounds like a load of crap but i dont let it out smart me with whats on hand..😜

Just turn some and check fit . Cant add back on if you go too much too quick.

Then i buy more then one seal incase one aint satisfactory / backups..

That aint nroke dont fix it is a good rule to follow . Aint like a thing or 2 i wished id left well enough alone..😉

Reactions: crowski
This photo shows a damaged original HW 80 seal with 4500 shots on it. The others are Vortek with varying degrees of heat damage. All lasted longer than the Vortek springs which broke with close shot count cycles of 7000-7500 shots each. Interestingly, the top left seal shows little melt damage with 7000 shots. It was just pulled out in Dec. 22. Improved seal material formula?

I have only one airgun, the .22 cal. HW80. It has 36K shots fired on it to date, 72 tins of HN FTT's. It eats scopes so badly I have given up on glass and just use the factory sights. Who makes one that could take this punishing routine?? NOBODY.

And glad to have TW Chambers available for replacement parts. I've had to replace a few now, some unexpected, and have an HW80 parts stash similar to Crowski

DSC07073.JPG

Last edited:
Which trigger is in your gun? Disassembly is different depending on trigger. If you bought it new a couple years ago it should be T06. YouTube will show you the different triggers as well.