Is this exit wound or entry wound on rat?

Hello, using a Crosman 2100 multi pump. I shot this rat with a 7.4 grain pellet in .177 cal about 10 yards away. The crosman usually shoots 600 fps at 6 pumps and i shot at 6 pumps. That is right under 6fpe.

I can see the bullet wound, but only on one side. Its a rat so im not gonna touch it because its gross. Could anyone tell if this is the exit wound and entry wound is hidden behind fur? Or is this the entry wound and the bullet get stuck inside?

Im curious because i thought a .177 going 600 fps would pierce right through a rat. Thats why i was only using 6 pumps.

28F91D0B-55B3-485A-BC7C-9FFDA4ED7F7A.jpeg

As the shooter, you should know which way he was facing when you pulled the trigger and subsequently which side you were putting the pellet on. Could you not see it clearly when you shot it?

It looks like an entry to me with a wadcutter but it could easily be an exit.
You are right. I did not think of where he was facing. That is the entry wound with a pointed .177. He was facing that way

You're correct that most shots @ 600 fps will perforate both sides of a rat, even hitting the skull. Softer wadcutters are more humane and may deformate enough to remain inside the target- however, very rarely. I always wear eye pro as rats tend to be near concrete, steel or v hard wood beams and the bounce back can be vicious .

Reactions: CoyoteGod