• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is this appropriate lube for Airgun use?

SAE 30 weight ND is the only oil I use on any moving parts that slide or rotate. It is engineered to STAY in place. If you reload PB cartridges, use it on your press‘s ram and linkage. When I read my Dillon manual years ago it stipulated to use ND30W oil and darned if those guys know what works best.
Forgive my ignorance, but is SAE 30 ND different than what I have pictured ?

SAE 30 weight ND is the only oil I use on any moving parts that slide or rotate. It is engineered to STAY in place. If you reload PB cartridges, use it on your press‘s ram and linkage. When I read my Dillon manual years ago it stipulated to use ND30W oil and darned if those guys know what works best.
I used to work for Dillon Precision. I was the 1050 final assembly and setup guy. Fun job. Got to tinker with a few Miniguns as well.

Would that also be good for lubricating metal parts (trigger,bolt,etc.)? Sounds perfect for my QB78 since I like to put a drop of pellgun each time I re-gas.
I only use it for the gas system of my C02 guns. Like you, I put a drop on the tip of the cartridge every time I load a fresh one. For general purpose gun oil I've been using Hoppes brand gun oil for years now. Got a deal on a bulk gallon jug once and been using it ever since. And I use the sticky moly stuff for things like sears and springer mainsprings.

Forgive my ignorance, but is SAE 30 ND different than what I have pictured ?
No, same stuff. I think it was originally engineered for 4 cycle “splash” lubricated small engines. Wear particles will not be held in suspension but fall to the bottom of the crankcase. Once manually applied the ND oil clings to that surface MUCH better than the latter oils can ever hope to.

The newer detergent oils are formulated for “pump pressurized“ lubricating systems which I am pretty sure NONE of our air or powder guns employ. These oils hold wear particles in suspension and allow them to be filtered out by the replaceable oil filter element.

Screenshot from 2023-12-01 18-17-02.png

You think that's the same stuff? It doesn't say HIGH PERFORMANCE but I figure maybe they just changed the label???
They both say non-detergent which I think is the important distinction for airguns. I learned a lot from this thread and now have a couple different lubes/oil for various purposes

Reactions: Dogowsky