• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Is there one gun to do both FT and Benchrest thats entry level?

If money was not an issue, I would most likely buy a Thomas FT model and a Thomas Benchrest gun and mount March scopes appropriate for each discipline on both.
AHH "the stuff of dreams " to quote Shakespeare , if ordering at the same time .

Sounds like a Marauder order is for you , ol'deadeye won nationals , in 2012 ? this gun can do both bench and FT and is a good starter general rifle .
Not a whole lot of investment and more than reasonable results . allows you to find out if you will like FT and Bench
2019 AAFTA field target Nationals with the Marauder!

Ok so bought a gen2 marauder 177 with LW barrel.
I have a 4-16x44 scope. Will this reticle be sufficient? Im used to MiL in my other rifles but would like to use this one if possible.

73682BB9-CCDB-48A2-B1E9-5DD9EB7559E7.png

Reactions: Motorhead
You can start with this scope, but will want to upgrade down the road. For FT, a big side wheel will help you range. If you're shooting Hunter class, 16x is the max magnification allowed. The problem with w a variable powered scope that maxes at 16x is that you're not getting the resolution that a 24x scope set at 16x does- at least in any scope I've used below $2k.
Imagine a car that can hit 150 mph maximum speed. At that speed, it's straining, working real hard to sustain that velocity for a long period of time. Now get a car that can go 200 mpg, and 150 mph is just loafing around. Having some headroom in your optics gives you that little extra bit of clarity at the top end of magnification. And that clarity is what allows you to range 45 yards vs 50 yards correctly with scope.
Imho.
You can also use target width or other techniques for ranging, but commonly, parralax is the tool most shooters use.

Ok so bought a gen2 marauder 177 with LW barrel.
I have a 4-16x44 scope. Will this reticle be sufficient? Im used to MiL in my other rifles but would like to use this one if possible.

View attachment 311276
Looks like a MIL retical ... Fit a 5 inch or more side wheel to it, get it scaled to what you actual see at KNOWN distances your good to get started IMO.

Watcha got?
A fully tuned Benjamin Marauder with two stocks.

One is a custom ft stock with adjustable cheek rest in blue lam. And the other is the factory stock.

It has light valve work, a reg, light weight hammer, been tuned by myself and a Lothar Walther Polygonal 16mm barrel. I can even sell it with a nice FT scope like a Hawke Sidewinder 8-32x56 with a custom Scope works wheel.

I'll also have a daystate huntsman in .20 cal that's Regged and tuned for 19-19.5fpe available soon.

I will agree ... A Standard WOOD stock Marauder purchased with the LW barrel option. ** NOT the F&T model :mad:
Add an aftermarket regulator and install with a lighter hammer you got a stellar rig on the fairly cheap.
Motorhead just to pick your brain because I'm always listening and taking heed to your advice but why not the field Target version of The Marauder? Just out of curiosity so hopefully one day I don't make that mistake as you're so suggesting to not do in that instance.

Old story .. short recap

Regulator up against valve, nearly no plenum volume. factory reg is so so at best IMO. Poor engineering on Crosman corporations part.
Power is greatly limited and tuning range is not very broad.

Aftermarket reg added with plenum and a light hammer to a Standard M-rod far out perform the factory attempt at a regulated M-rod :mad:

As one who Tunes / Modifies and done many many Marauders these past 10 years ... do with it what you will.
Nah brother, I appreciate it

I'm looking for entry level FT , and if it works for bench rest too that's fine.

Wouldn't an Avenger 22 have adequate tuning range for both purposes? Or, if that's wrong and stupid, would one consider an Avenger 177 a decent starter FT gun?

I'm not interested in trying to shoot accurately with break barrel guns lately. Maybe one day.

If you aren't interested in shooting accurately, the Avenger would be the way to go. I wish my .22 Avenger was as accurate as my break barrel rifle.

If you aren't interested in shooting accurately, the Avenger would be the way to go. I wish my .22 Avenger was as accurate as my break barrel rifle.

Which break barrel is more accurate than an Avenger? I haven't shot an Avenger but from what I've seen its in the same accuracy ballpark as the Guantlets, which I've shot a lot. I've never shot a break barrel even close to beating the Guantlet. But I've also never shot most of the high end break barrels!