• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is there any advantage of the .25 over the .22?

25 tends to buck the wind better when shooting 100 yards and beyond.

Only disadvantage in 25 caliber compared to the other calibers is the potential magazine jams in the barrel potential stuck pellets for 25 Lelya2 and 25 R5M magazine indexing issues not found in the 177 and 22 Lelya2s and R5Ms. Even when you already know how to properly cock them after owning the other calibers.

Reactions: Oakenhawk
If you are on some kind of multiple gun spending spree, you can justify buying a .23 if they made one for just a touch more power. Or a .21 if they made one for just a touch less power than your .22. If you are not on a spree or bitten by some kind of gun bug, the modern .22 PCP is more than capable of meeting all expectations of an airgunner on paper and airgun critters at distances realistic for airguns.

I really like my .25s for getting that extra energy into a target while shooting pellets. The cross section of a pellet is found by multiplying pi times the radius squared. If you do the math you will see a .25 has a whole lot more surface than a ,22.

I don't shoot slugs because I like the additional safety pellets offer with their reduced range.

I really like my .25s for getting that extra energy into a target while shooting pellets. The cross section of a pellet is found by multiplying pi times the radius squared. If you do the math you will see a .25 has a whole lot more surface than a ,22.

I don't shoot slugs because I like the additional safety pellets offer with their reduced range.

I can't shoot slugs 90% of the time for that exact reason. Heavy JSBs and reduced speed all day!

Yes, the .25 cal will give you more bang for your buck with energy levels compared to a.22 cal at the same velocity. Also, the .25 can be more forgiving with shot placement given the higher energy level and larger diameter. I keep a .22 cal around for safer pesting of invasive pest birds, and I keep a .25 around for small critters like coons and skunks and such, which is also better to take birds and squirrels more effectively with when safe to do so.

Based on the briefness of your questions and your reasoning, I am guessing you are not much of an pcp tinkerer and finding-the-right-slug for perfect accuracy at 150yards.

So my advice: get the .25,

its a good in-between of a .22 and .30, you can use both .25gr and 33gr, doesnt use as much air as the .30 and is much better for hunting (suitable for lots of prey) than the .22

Or machine a Lilja 22lr Match grade barrel and use pulled Eley Tenex Rimfire bullet heads.

Have you managed to pull them without damage Odoyle? the heel is of course the critical part!

I contacted ELEY and asked if I could buy just the heads, yes was the anwser but only in quantities of 500,000 or more LOL!

DAYSTATE did it years ago, I actually saw a tin of their ELEY bullets a little while back.

If you have fat fingers .25 are easier to grab and load than .22s.

More FPE for FPS vs .22. 

.25 kills vermin more deader than.22 can kill them.

Ditto on fat fingers AND .25 knocks the crap out of a critter better. If you go the slug route you'll likely end up spending LOTS of time and MONEY trying to get the right slug for your barrel. Don't fall for that silly game unless you are willing to gamble that YOUR barrel shoots slugs or you are willing to cut the choke off of it or buy a new barrel. I love shooting .22 but the go to for critters is .25

Here's what a Taipan Vet.25 PELLET does that .22 PELLET won't do...

https://youtu.be/Vz2HboQ-tU8