• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is there an alternative device other then Pelletgage? Update...

Is there an alternative device that people use to measure head size other then a pelletgage? I wanted a 22cal gage but it looks like I might be screwed. Ordered one but the manufacturer has gone dark with my money in hand.

Jerry L.

Apparently unknowingly I ordered from a distributor and not the manufacturer of pelletgage. I explain further down the thread but to cut to the chase. I got ahold of the manufacturer who has solved the problem, Thank you.

Last edited:
Where did you order it from them directly. Call the bb on them. Post on social media usually will get them going. Facebook or they have a instagram account.
The BBB can do nothing. It is a private entity that makes you believe it has some power.

BTW, I just ordered a pellet gauge in .22 and received it in about a week.

Reactions: HogKiller
Is there an alternative device that people use to measure head size other then a pelletgage? I wanted a 22cal gage but it looks like I might be screwed. Ordered one but the manufacturer has gone dark with my money in hand.

Jerry L.
More details are needed.

When did you order?
How did you order?
What did you pay with?
Was item 'In Stock" when you ordered?

People who come on the site here and bash people within the community need to be asked many questions. Many of the people within this community are great people and are not out to screw anyone or steal from them. The guys over at pelletgauge are good guys and have never mistreated anyone. give them a chance and they will make it right.

You also to remember that EBR just wrapped up, and they were possibly away for a week or so setting up for the event. If that happened then you probably wouldn't get anything back from them while they are gone. Settle down a little and we can work through this.

I have found that a website contact page is more reliable than sending an email as it bypasses any spam filters. Also as noted by others, pretty much every airgun related company out there dealing with precision stuff has been in Arizona at the EBR and will be digging through a week's worth of emails and voice messages.

You might also want to try sending a text to the same number and check your own email client spam folder for their replies, if you haven't already.

If they are in Arizona I understand. If that’s the case an away message would solve the anxiety issue. Charging my credit card before shipment is another issue.
If it were anyone other than a well known reputable business I would be worried. Relax and call your bank and see how long you have to make a fraud claim. Bet it is 60 days at least.

Reactions: woogie_man
I will probably buy a 177 pelletgage soon. My P35-177 is head size picky and I'm trying to figure out why one tin of Crosman 10.5 shot great while two other tins shoot poorly. I think it's head size but need to measure to be sure.

I've had to reluctantly accept that a number of airgun related purchases are just not like dealing with Amazon (and even Amazon has been a bit irregular in my experience since Covid hit). Carm magazines, for instance. When you are not dealing with a huge market, nobody has a warehouse of stuff waiting for me to place an order. If I order something from AlliExpress the price tends to be great but it has often taken a month to arrive. Carm magazines have to come from eastern Europe. It sounds like I might have to not expect same week delivery on a pelletgage. I can live with that. $50 to satisfy my curiosity is what is delaying me. I don't expect to ever be a serious competitive shooter but I do like to understand why things happen.

Keep in mind that small companies like theirs and mine likely use third party software for internet sales. That software will charge your card right at the point of sale. I’m a photographer and when clients order event type photos online their cards are immediately charged even though we state that orders may take up to two weeks for delivery. I’ve ordered from those pellet gage guys twice and have been treated great both times.
Kenny

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Pellet gage will not produce better groups in itself , what pelletgage will do is give you one more control . Knowledge that all the pellets you sorted are the same head size , so one less variable .
When i shoot competition all the pellets for that day are sorted , head size ,weight ,washed , lubed . Then at least i know it is probably my shooting that day .
P.S. I shoot straight out of the tin except washed for non comp.

Reactions: shausen
i'd like to see a real-world test of whether measuring your pellets really make any difference.

i mean, maybe if you're buying the cheap stuff, but what's your time worth?
Well, as much obsessing as is being done over every other aspect of this sport, i.e. chronographs, air pressure, fps, rifle models, different pellets, tuning etc, etc, etc. that the point isn't what's our time worth, as much as what is the last variable to get down to the nitty gritty with? In some ways isn't detailed tweaking a lot of the fun? Well, for some people. As a photographer, I have friends that spend waaay more time in the darkroom playing with papers, developers, neg dev times and temps, experimental zone techniques, etc. then they spend actually taking photographs. But that ain't me. I'm a shooter, not a tweaker.

Jerry L.
Jerry contacted me today. He ordered from a Pelletgage dealer, but he has a valid complaint. Jerry, I’ll ship you your PG tomorrow to the address you sent. I will attempt to satisfy any complaint on a Pelltgage or order issue.

Jerry Cupples

I ordered my 177 gauge tonight. I know my P35-177 is head size sensitive because it shoots H&N Baracuda Match in 4.5mm great (and Baracuda Power with the same head size) but shoots the same pellet in 4.52 head size poorly. But I'm only guessing the "good" tin of Crosmans are smaller in head size than the two "bad" ones. I might sort the Crosmans when I have a gauge but mainly I want to confirm the issue. If I could sort them and get half or more "good" ones it might be worth it. But if only 10% are smaller head size I don't think it would be worth it.

I also know my P35-22 is not very sensitive to head size because it shoots both size Baracuda Match the same. Overall it shoots significantly better than the 177 but the 177 is about as accurate as my Avenger - it is an accurate gun.

So I am confident the 177 gauge could do something for me but I don't know that a 22 or 25 would. If your gun doesn't care, I don't see why it's worth the expense or time. But maybe I'll feel differently later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nattboy
I've been using the .25 pelletgage for several years and got one in .22 couple months ago. This second one is not precise, the engraved hole sizes are off and when I look at it close with a jewellery loop the laser cut edges are all in burrs inside hole. So the .25 is OK but the .22 unusable for precise measurement.
This just my story, and if anything other product exist I am willing to try.

• Wow
Reactions: pdxFrank