• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is there an airgun as good as a Marauder .22 air rifle that side-lever cocks?

If there was an air rifle out their that can match an .22 Mrod's accuracy, and shoot a pellet faster, I'd like to know about it.

I'm trying to get away from a PCP with it's high pressure compressor that is used to fill a scuba tank for the PCP. (with it's inherent water issues)

I've read that a side-lever is better than a break-barrel.

Any recommendations / thoughts would be appreciated.

Bobby

"JoeWayneRhea"A springer as accurate and faster than a good accurate Marauder kinda a tall order . I'd say Possibly a Diana 52 , but as accurate I can't help but think probably not ... Asking a springer to be Powerful and Accurate is tough . The two don't usually go hand in hand . But the TX 200 is an excellent place to start . Maybe look at HW97 also .
Thanks for you input. I think I'm gonna pass on this quest. I person who owns a air gun business, and repairs them, said the mechanics of a springer makes it hard for hm to recommend something that can rival a Mrod.

"bltefft"If there was an air rifle out their that can match an .22 Mrod's accuracy, and shoot a pellet faster, I'd like to know about it.

I'm trying to get away from a PCP with it's high pressure compressor that is used to fill a scuba tank for the PCP. (with it's inherent water issues)

Bobby
Yes, the Diana 54 or 56TH. I had a 56TH, and it was as accurate as the Marauder, and slightly more powerful too. (20 FPE instead of 18)

However....
  • It is much, much heavier
  • It is very hard on scopes. You need a rugged scope, and a rugged drooper mount.
  • It is much, much louder than a Marauder. You could probably fit a moderator to quiet it down, but it would have to be about 2 ft. long to make it is quiet as a Marauder.
The better compressors for PCPs have means to drain the water out of the tank frequently. If you get your tanks filled from a reputable source, it will be very dry air.

What I do is just pump them up from inside my house, where it's pretty dry.

I think your better bet is to stick with your Marauder, and add a slightly less powerful springer, maybe 15 FPE, so it doesn't have to be such a beast. Chances are, you can do what you need to do with a bit less power anyway. I've heard that a Diana 48 that is professionally tuned down to 12 FPE is a REALLY sweet shooter. Since they're 20 FPE stock and shoot pretty well at that level, I bet they're also sweet at 15 FPE, which to me, is a good power level for a springer.

A springer can be as accurate as any other airgun. Power is another issue. Shooting one is an art. It takes a lot of shooting to learn each springer. Everyone I own shoots different. To shoot them well you have to learn them. Once you do thay will shoot with a PCP.
No I have never gotten that good with one. I have seen it done though. That is why I now shoot mostly PCP.

Jimmy

"bltefft"If there was an air rifle out their that can match an .22 Mrod's accuracy, and shoot a pellet faster, I'd like to know about it.

Bobby
No. No other type of air gun is as good as a PCP. 

You can get side lever cocking on all types of air gun. It won't make a difference to accuracy or speed though.

"EMrider"I love springers, but I have never been able to achieve the same accuracy as a PCP for any given level of power. My pro sport in .177 is as accurate as my .22 Marauder, but it shoots at less than half the power level as the Marauder.

R
Thanks, but I was trying to get away from a PCP, but have read that it's probably not possible to get a springer on par with a Marauder PCP.

I'll probably stick with the Marauder.

"bltefft"
"EMrider"I love springers, but I have never been able to achieve the same accuracy as a PCP for any given level of power. My pro sport in .177 is as accurate as my .22 Marauder, but it shoots at less than half the power level as the Marauder.

R
Thanks, but I was trying to get away from a PCP, but have read that it's probably not possible to get a springer on par with a Marauder PCP.

I'll probably stick with the Marauder.