• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is there a "Goldilocks" PCP for me?

Given your liking for your HW100, I'd add a +1 on the Daystate Revere. It weighs a little over six pounds if my memory serves me correctly, is a beautiful rifle, a dream to shoot, buttery smooth mechanically, is easy on air, and very accurate. It requires zero fiddling with the hammer spring, regulator, etc. Just take it out of the box, gas it up and shoot it. 

^^^ Thank you!!

I'm really liking this and the M3. The Brocock is still in the running, but not as much. Either are more than I'll probably every need, but I always like to over-engineer rather than under. Better to have and not need, than to ever need and not have...

Thanks everyone. I'm not going to make a decision for a month or longer, so I will keep reading up. GREAT intel here.

Look at AEA HP series. I have a HP TD 25 cal semiauto and frankly after shooting this rifle some I'm spoiled. I hunted with rimfire semiauto's all my life and didn't realize how much I missed that in air rifles. You can get this rifle in 13, or 10 or 8 inch barrels. You can get a Donny FL adaptor to screw onto the end of the shroud then attach a moderator to that. I would recommend a Sumo.

Jim
AEA 3-22.1650737212.jpg

These come in various configurations (caliber, barrel length, bottle size). I have HP SS 30+ and it's proven to be very durable and simple enough to service.

I'm in the camp where if you can pay 1/2 or 1/3 the price for equal or better performance, do it. Couldn't afford most of the guns mentioned in this thread anyway, but my SS 30+ with a short 8" barrel will do "one ragged hole" groups at 50 yards. I have a Donny FL "FX" and a Hawke 3-12x so it looks similar to the photo you've uploaded.

I think the extra 10 FPE you get with the 13" barrel would even be a big improvement. In fact, I just contacted Pete @ AEA to see if I can swap a 13" barrel onto my setup. 

This is probably the best one... moderated with 700cc bottle and carbon fiber bits. A bit more money but still half the price of other guns mentioned in this thread.
https://www.aeaairgun.net/product-page/customized-700cc-backpacker-22-25-30-semisuto-with-cnc-stock-fiber-shroud

Given your liking for your HW100, I'd add a +1 on the Daystate Revere. It weighs a little over six pounds if my memory serves me correctly, is a beautiful rifle, a dream to shoot, buttery smooth mechanically, is easy on air, and very accurate. It requires zero fiddling with the hammer spring, regulator, etc. Just take it out of the box, gas it up and shoot it.

I strongly agree on this recommendation. A .22 Daystate Revere meets all your requirements. Short, light (6lbs), extremely accurate proven platform. I own one. It’s my most accurate gun for me to shoot. I also have an HW110 .22 and and RTI Prophet Performance.22 for comparison. The Prophet Performance would be my recommendation if your requirement was 100 yards - as the PP .22 with LR (slow twist rate) barrel keeps pellets stable at 1,000 fps - making it easier to shoot at longer distances due to flatter trajectory than you will get with a Daystate Huntsman. The RTI Prophet Performance is also short and light weight… but it ain’t no DS Huntsman for looks.

I am in a similar quandary to the OP. I have a Bantam Sniper Magnum that is a sweet shooter, but a bit long for the woods and really needs a side lever. I also have a Wildcat MK2 and a Hatsan Flashpup and they are just a little too short to enjoy target practice with. I kind of don’t want three guns to maintain so I am trying to think of what could be a good hunting/pesting gun but still be fun for paper punching. I am considering selling all three, buying an Impact, and calling it a day but that seems so boring...

@L.Leon The Atomic/Ranger XRs do sing a sweet siren song. The Concept XR really interests me. It could give me a little extra oomph, is still plenty light, and probably wouldn't be just too terribly unwieldy long with a Sumo on the end. The thing I really like about the Concept (and the Ranger) is the rails on the side of the chassis. I could put a QD mount on one of those and get a stock with a QD mount and the gun could be slung 2 point tactical style. I really like this style of carry for hands free moving about, but still relatively quick shouldering of the gun.

I am lucky AoA doesn't make the tequila sunrise Concept XR anymore, that might have been an impulse buy my credit card would still be whining about...

I'm liking that Edgun, but it looks like a PITA to load having to break it open, then putting a retainer over the magazine also... I keep coming back to this. How durable is the mechanism where the seals "re-dock" after closing it up? Seems like an additional failure point. Am I missing something.

Until I actually used an L2, I might have agreed with you. There are a few ways to load and reload the L2. True the breach must be opened up, but a simple flip of the locking lever allows you to swing it out of the way and lock it again in a secure folded position. 

It comes with two mags that you can preload and switch quickly. You could buy more but they are not cheap.

You can open the breach (grab a magnet most keep attached somewhere on the gun) pull the retainer off and manually load the mag while it is on the gun. A bit slow but very easy to do with the gun pointed down a bit.

The best method is to use one of the new speedloaders. They typically have a magnet on one end to remove the retainer plate and then you flip it over to load pellets. Speed loaders are made that hold 5-8 mags worth of pellets. Basically enough to use up even a large tank. The speed loader is a game changer IMHO. Be prepared to suck up many tins of ammo with the combination of semi-auto and speedloader on the L2!

https://www.edgunwest.com/store/airgun-accessories/item/edgun-leshiy-2-speed-loader/

Yes the L2 is unique compared to any other air rifle but I have learned to greatly admire its features.

With the breach open, the guns is 100% safe and there is no way for it to physically fire.

You are also 100% sure if it is loaded or not with the breach open.

I also like the fact the butt manages all the high pressure functions. It is easily removed and can be pressurized independently to the rest of the rifle. The rifle is basically a door stop without the butt installed and useless without the breach closed.

The ability to externally adjust the regulator while gun is pressurized is always a bonus.

The ability to easily change calibers and barrel length is also a plus.

The ability to store it folded in about 16” is very convenient. 

Negatives:

It is probably not as air efficient as a pin probe with hammer trigger design. There is also some minor air noise that comes from the breach when firing. I also own a M3 and it is probably 10-20% more efficient and much quieter. Of course it also has 700mm barrel. 

The trigger does not allow a typical progressive action when firing. It took me a tin or two to master it. Not bad, just not traditional.

With the breach open I have always been concerned about the exposure of some sensitive components and surfaces to the elements. In the field and when stored folded this is certainly not impossible. There is the main air seal exposed on the valve contained on the butt surface that is most critical. It is a tight fit and I have never had a problem with it coming loose but think about it often. To cure my anxiety of loosing this seal, I bought an accessory that secures an extra seal and various allen tools in the hand grip. It also can store an extra battery for red dot etc. I don’t worry about it any more but I am certainly extra careful with not exposing the breach area to the elements.

The L2 is probably not the best slug gun. Although its possible, and many are doing it successfully. A hammer and pin probe rifle is probably better suited. Which is the main reason I also own a M3.

Minor nit on the moderator. Although I prefer the way the gun handles and looks with the stock moderator, its factory insert is not real effective. Certainly better than no moderator but could be better. The smaller calibers are probably acceptable but the .30 really barks even in 350mm barrel. The STO inserts greatly improve this IMHO. The STO insert alone makes the smaller calibers backyard friendly even with a 250 setup. I added a Striplin threaded adapter cap to my .30 shroud so I can also use my Ronin. That combination is needed to make it backyard friendly in .30.

Last concern is most anything made in Russia may have a difficult future in the western world supply chain. Hopefully this is not a long term problem.

Yes it is expensive but I have found it to be very well thought out and very well engineered using the right materials in the right places. I must also mention it is extremely fun to shoot! I consume 3x as much ammo as my M3. Something I have found to appreciate is its not a real imposing looking gun. In fact, it looks a bit like a toy (it is not!) and when using in my backyard I really don’t think my neighbors would be real concerned based on its general appearance. My M3 on the other hand looks like a .308 cannon in comparison, Impressive at the range but begs for a call to 911 from the untrained eye when used in my back yard. In these days I cannot say I blame them.

The updated version of the magazine retainer things are super easy to remove with just a fingernail. Definitely no need for a magnet or other tool.