• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is there a "Goldilocks" PCP for me?

Meaning, not too small, not too big, but just right. I can only have ONE.

Yes, the sickness is setting in. I am old to air guns but new to PCPs. After shooting everything BUT PCPs for 40+ years, I finally took the plunge this year. I have a Weihrauch HW100 thumb-hole carbine in .22 and absolutely LOVE it with one exception. It's size. It's too BIG and heavy for "me". It's as big and as heavy as most of my powder burners.

I am really liking the idea of the Atomic XR with moderator and stock or something like the Edgun Leshiy 2... I want something that you can shoulder yet can still comfortably carry around the woods/property for target shooting or pesting. MOST shooting will be 35 yards or less. The farthest I "need/want" to be able to shoot a PCP is 50 - 75 yards on a stretch.

NO HURRY. I'm going to take my time as the HW100 is filling the void nicely. It will do until I can decide (afford) a suitable smaller replacement.

The MUST HAVES: .22 cal.. QUIET for backyard use. Magazine fed repeater. PCP. Small and light enough to COMFORTABLY carry around on the move. Power comparable to the HW100 or greater. At least 20 +/-shots or more per charge on a moderate power setting. Price... Hard stop at $2500. Would prefer under $2000.

Am I smoking crack? Is there such an animal?

You can get a couple of these and give it to your kid when your done, crack head

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 10.39.02 AM.1650649253.jpg

If you have to shoot to 75 yards, and have it be super compact, you're in bullpup territory. However... I can pull this off with my Crown. The gun doesn't seem all that small, but with compact barrel it is very comfortable to Cary. I also use a sling should I choose to not carry it in my hands. The real trick is that the barrel is extremely light. Making the gun feel about 2lbs lighter than it is. Now, I do have much more compact guns (usually tuned in the 550-700fps range) and sometimes I carry them, but as this is, this is super comfortable, maneuverable, and the most capable of my lot. 
122016895_10158660416639034_1613549501850166926_n.1631246048 1.1650654007.jpg

AGT Vixen - long or standard, take your pick.

One standard version currently posted on the AGN classifieds.

I have had both the standard and the long. I sold the standard when someone on this site posted a WTB ad. It was shooting a little soft for me with its short barrel (.22 cal JSB Hades at ~790), and the buyer wanted something he could actually tune down when pesting in areas of soft backdrops.

My Long version is a real keeper. Muzzle velocities easily in the 890's with .22 cal Hades or 15.89's. Incredibly smooth and pleasant shot cycle. Very accurate with a great trigger and robust + easy to use magazines. Light and easy to carry (as long as you don't install a big, honking, heavy scope.) Easily back yard friendly without need for any additional moderation. Reasonably priced.

Highly recommended.

Any downsides?

1) With its abbreviated butt stock you are limited in real estate how you will rest it on a rear bag, if that is how you shoot off the bench;
2) Goes through a lot of pellets! ;)

IMG_2587.1650654908.JPG

IMG_2588.1650654909.JPG

And after seeing the post above mine: Crown w/380mm barrel and synthetic stock. Synthetic stock is lightest and easiest to carry around. And the Crown with a 380mm barrel has more accuracy than it has any right to have.

2nd on a crown synthetic stock with 380mm barrel. Mine currently is shooting 875 with JSB 18’s. Sunday will be final sight in after indexing the barrel….I have shot squirrels out to 115 no problem with the rifle….can’t wait to get the final setup done for ground squirrel hunting…

Tony P.

Yes, I should add, I would not recommend a crown in walnut. The walnut stocks are almost always super bland and unapealing. The synthetic is even lighter, and is a very nicely made (and supremely comfortable) stock. Mine with a little 4x scope (synthetic) comes in at 7lbs with a small huma mod. 

Y'all are awesome. Thank you. I'm going to do a lot of homework.I have a lot more options now. I just wish AoA would let you shoot something before buying it. My powder burner range will let you rent something to see if you like it... A rental and one box of ammo usually does the trick. Know right away if you like it or not. Oh well...

Anyway, thanks for the ideas. I might drive to AoA a couple of times as they are only a couple hours away and finger-fondle some of these. I'm not in a hurry and want to do this one right. I'm not going to lie, I am really warming up to that Edgun and that little FX has my eye now also. I still like the Brocock XR too. Maybe I'll swing something by Christmas. Who knows, maybe you guys will point me to something else...

THANKS AGAIN! Feel free to keep the ideas coming.