• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is there a decent youth sized air rifle?

The Gamo big cat 1200 costs 119 dollars includes a 3-9x40 scope i believe. Very lightweight, hard-hitting gun. It is not as accurate as a beeman but you can hit squirrels easily till 50 yards. 

Just a tip ditch the scope and get a Leapers 3-9x40 mildot or Hawke vantage 3-9x40 mildot, with a 1 piece mount. 

Zero the gun at 20 yards and you have a nice small game gun

I have a Gamo Whisper G2 for my older grandkids - a boy of 15 and a girl of 12. Both LOVE this gun for accuracy and suitability vis-a-vis weight and length of pull. I'm 5'10" and find it a bit short in the stock, but it shoots great. With 8.44 gr pellets is capable out to 20-25 yards for small game.

if your grandson has the strength for a bit more heft without more cocking effort then consider a Crosman F4 in .177 with a detuned Nitro Piston action. Has the size and feel of a true hunting rifle and totally capable of small game at 30 yards. Yet the cocking effort is well within youth capabilities.

"mister12ax7"Tom Gaylord designed one called the BRONCO. I think its the best bang for the buck entry level air rifle hands down.There are 2 models spend a little more for the peep sight it is well worth it. I think they are still available at Pyramid air.
The Bronco has not been available for over a year. My wife has one and it is a good little gun. I would suggext the Diana 240 Classic. Ijust ought one for $139. PA has them for $160 I believe.

"mister12ax7"Tom Gaylord designed one called the BRONCO. I think its the best bang for the buck entry level air rifle hands down.There are 2 models spend a little more for the peep sight it is well worth it. I think they are still available at Pyramid air.
The Bronco has not been available for over a year. My wife has one and it is a good little gun. I would suggext the Diana 240 Classic. Ijust ought one for $139. PA has them for $160 I believe.

@c_m_shooter, my experience is otherwise. My 15-year-old grandson is still under 5'6" and 120 lbs. He finds the youth Gamo rifles to be right-sized because he's tried the full-sized guns I own. Youth come in all shapes and sizes... and just like pellets, you need to work with the individual to find which rifle shoots best with each.

Yes...depends on the kid....could be small for his age.

My boy, now 20...almost 21, when the hell did that happen....anyway He was always on the small (height) wise....now I would guess he is at 5'5"...perhaps 5'4"...so he is a short dude....he is also about that wide, not fat but all muscle....he is like a little fire plug and about as hard.

Point is he has a very short length of pull....One reason he did not take to shooting so much as the guns just did not fit him well.

As a first gun, The Crosman Nitro Pistons first gens are sub $100 even in 22 at my local wally world. My 177 gave me 3-4 years of service. You can find Hammers 3-9x32 AO scopes around $50 on the big online shopping site. Most wally marts have centerpoint scopes. Waly mart has a website if they dont have what you want on hand you can order it free shipping to the one closes to you. You can get a pretty decent set up for 150ish My 177 has been pretty good out to 50 yards but is best 20-35/40 yards. So depending on the range he is working with. A break barrel is pretty sturdy, a kid can beat them up a bit.