Is there a clear winner in the portable compressor category?

There is no winner. I believe they are all the same. Just rebrand. Hatsan spark, Benjamin traveler, nomad 1 and 2, tuxing. Etc. I would go with the tuxing as its the cheapest model. They also now have built in power supply just the the nomad 2.

Screenshot_20220311-153053_Chrome.1647034267.jpg

I can yell you that my Benjamin Traveller is made by New Warrior, still working but haven't used it real hard yet.

The 18volt battery units have my attention, wish they had been on the market before I bought my Benji. There are adapters to convert to different types of batteries, including off tool battery relocation cables. Only word of caution is that you should only use them with around 8ah batteries or larger, the current draw is pretty high. I have a DIY battery rig on my Benji, but not tested enough to say good or fail yet.

Having played around with a several of the square black box (hatsan, tuxing, aliexpress cheapo) I have an OPINION. YMMV

I like the Tuxing best. However we got rid of all of them and kept the umarex ready air.  The ReadyAir is the most reliable. It's seals don't last as long but is an easy 25min clean rebuild and no other issues. The square box units vary wildly in reliability and take 2 hours for a messy rebuild.

Has anyone used the Vevor line? Walmart has them starting at $200. Guns only, no bottles, but at that price point? even though the description says you can fill bottles, I don't really trust that.

VEVOR PCP Air Compressor,4500PSI Portable PCP Compressor,12V DC/110V AC PCP Airgun Compressor Manual- Stop,with External Power Adapter,Built-in Fan,Suitable for Paintball,Air Rifle,Scuba Bottle - Walmart.com

i just bought one for the truck when hunting. also got the 3year protection plan for $22....

i wonder how many times i will need to file a claim for repair / replacement in 3 years ?

but it will not be my primary air source, maybe my 3rd..... so who knows how long it will last filling guns only?

as some say around 20hrs.....then i believe its a good deal with the protection plan.

Reactions: Saltlake58
Has anyone used the Vevor line? Walmart has them starting at $200. Guns only, no bottles, but at that price point? even though the description says you can fill bottles, I don't really trust that.

VEVOR PCP Air Compressor,4500PSI Portable PCP Compressor,12V DC/110V AC PCP Airgun Compressor Manual- Stop,with External Power Adapter,Built-in Fan,Suitable for Paintball,Air Rifle,Scuba Bottle - Walmart.com

i just bought one for the truck when hunting. also got the 3year protection plan for $22....

i wonder how many times i will need to file a claim for repair / replacement in 3 years ?

but it will not be my primary air source, maybe my 3rd..... so who knows how long it will last filling guns only?

as some say around 20hrs.....then i believe its a good deal with the protection plan.

I'm giving the Vevor serious thought. The protection plan for $22 is probably a good idea too. I have a YH for bottles, but the whole 5 gallon bucket thing is a hassle, and I worry about using it in cold weather because it is in an unheated shed. Have to drain it every time I use it in cold weather. The Vevor would fill the winter gap ensuring I have pressure in my guns. Thanks for the feedback.

back when i had a YH, i had a self contained cooling system i built for it...this was maybe 3 years ago before the fad of YH was known.

it worked well for 80+ hours then i retired it. i have had several shoebox boosters and when i got the F10, i sold the YH, but kept the radiator, fan and pump incase i get another YH.

i did use antifreeze with conditioner in the system to counter cavitation errosion but it could be used for cold weather too !!.

i have pics (somewhere) if your interested....

Not claiming the Tuxing TXET063 to be a clear winner, just want to point to it, for consideration, when shopping for a portable direct fill compressor. 

It meets the criteria, that you should look for in a portable compressor:

1. Availability of replacement parts.

2. Availability of a service kit.

3. Oil port to keep the compressor piston lubricated.

4. Water and oil drainage port. 

Any compressor that doesn’t have a parts source to maintain it, and an oil port to lubricate the piston, should be considered a disposable compressor.

Without the ability to lubricate the piston, it will start to gum up, slow down, loose the ability to deliver pressure, and will eventually cease up or break a shaft.

8D0F47E2-949E-4F3D-842F-E4D8DEE1F13C.1647445020.jpeg