• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is the UTG bug buster the only sub 10 yard scope?

My March 5-42 focuses down to 8Y on 42x, but probably 5Y on 5x, not sure because I haven't tried.

Just in case someone was curious 😁😉

This is Steve's view when shooting sparrows off the bird feeder.

bird-eye-closeup-macro-effect-600w-236378851.1605804171.jpg

My journey as a shooter spans 53 years. It took me a long time to recognize the the benefits of good glass. That said, not every application warrants a $4K+ S&B optic. My air rifle use is mainly small game & pesting, so I don't need high magnification. For close in shots, I like a true 1x, and good SFP 1-6x24/1-8x24 options start in the $300s. I just picked up 2 Burris RT-6 1-6x24 for $339 each, with AR BDC reticles. They will be mounted on FX Dream Tact & Impact. Rings in the $60 range were my pick, because of the lack of recoil on these guns. For me, high magnification scopes hinder close in shots, reduce field of view, and are too "shaky" for anything but bench/supported target work. I seem to see lots of set ups where the optic is higher than needed on air rifles, which can create cheek weld and height over bore issues that necessitate high hold over at close range.

I just bought UTG Bugbuster's new model 3 X 12, side focus, 8" long, mil-dot reticle, bright and clear optics. I put it on my SPA 750.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_3_12x32_AO_Bug_Buster_Rifle_Scope_Mil_Dot_Reticle_1_3_MOA_1_Tube_Medium_Weaver_Rings/7972

I've always liked the Bugbuster series for their optics and size, but hated that AO feature...I became spoiled with the side focus scopes, now I have that feature in the Bugbuster tiny scope series that's perfect for pistols and pistol/carbines. $119 and change on pyramydair!

No illuminated reticle, but I never used that feature anyway. Focus down to 3 yards!!! You could shoot your own toes off with this scope!

Kindly 'Ol Uncle Hoot

I have the Sniper 3-9x32 which I think is very close to UTG, and has the red, green and blue illumination.

I have that Sniper too.

Do either of you have an experience with the Sniper 1.5-6x44?

I've thought about getting that to use on a back yard rabbit gun. Low mag, decent field of view for keeping them in sight as they slowly hop across the yard at close range looking for the most tasty patch of grass.

I had my eye on that and one other Sniper scope. I can't remember which model but I found the same scope on Ebay 🐦and it had very different specifications from those on Texas Optics so I became concerned and didn't buy either.

And Parrotculler, are you going to start a thread about the feral parrots in your area? I'd be fascinated to learn more about what species are established, what kind of damage they do, their numbers, etc.

Hey Scouty, unfortunately can't help with that particular model scope ...

Yeah, there is a lot to be said about invasive species. I suggest making a distinction between harmful ones that disrupt the ecosystem vs those that fit in without crowding out native species and might even enrich the ecosystem.

The Psittacula Kramerii, ring necked parakeet, is in the harmful group although some folks call it cute. They occupy the breeding places of woodpeckers, shred apple orchards, and shriek your head off. They also live for up to 40 years ... And except for my rapidly growing airgun collection they do not have any natural predators to keep them in check. They are proliferating in urban and suburban areas in Florida, Paris, Amsterdam and Brussels and are now expanding to secondary cities as well. They are similarly harmful as the American grey squirrel that has found its way to Italy and is busily extinguishing native red squirrels there with disease, competition for food, and territory creep. Likewise, feral cats are wreaking havoc in Australia etc ...

In the positive group are pheasants (introduced in Europe for hunting in the middle ages), Robinia trees etc.

No one size fits all. The wildlife protection agencies in most European countries are unequivoval in their (off the record) statements that this parakeet is a threat. Simultaneously they are scared that any organized culling initiatives would run into a PR disaster -- enamored housewives taking to the streets etc ... 

🐦