• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Is the USARB dead?

Ok I’ll ask the question… Is the USARB dead?
Please convince me otherwise…

I know this is a tough subject, but the reality begs the question.

No one in NorCal shoots it. I have now switched to N50 as I can shoot rimfire or airgun. Joe at Open Grove next year will shoot N50 matches the same weekend as ARA rimfire matches. If you look at the scores at Open Grove during the weekend they shoot airgun, more are moving to N50. They have an airgun match this Sunday. Check the results to see which event they are shooting. I am more interested now in shooting at 50 yards whether it be pellet or slug. Even Doug and Vipha have bought factory rimfire rifles to shoot in the Sportsmen Class of N50.

Dana

Not to me! My club is still shooting USARB matches. If the sanctioning body decides to stop registered matches then it’s dead. 
I believe their is fewer numbers of individual shooters, but the clubs that hold 25m USARB matches are probably going to hold N50 matches as well? 
I will shoot both 25m and N50 until one or both are gone. I think shooting a air rifle/pellet gun at 50yds is more of a true representation of skill and consistency right now, If we had a sanctioned 100yd Benchrest league with events run weekly or monthly and possibly a national event this would be a better way to allow more shooters to be involved in a 100yd competition. Not just two or three events a year that are basically a sales event for manufacturers. 

Reactions: Strever
Uh... covid shut down everything.

2019 we had the USARB Nationals at Raton. It was a good event. 

March 2022 USARB Western Regional in Arizona. 

USARB, just like nearly all benchrest organizations as well as other target shooting organizations, are run by the originators - they are not elected. ARA is now owned by Eley - I'm pretty sure they appointed themselves for life. (Dang, that's a really good point - if I have to say so myself)

USARB, just like nearly all benchrest organizations as well as other target shooting organizations, are run by the originators - they are not elected. ARA is now owned by Eley - I'm pretty sure they appointed themselves for life. (Dang, that's a really good point - if I have to say so myself)

Certainly a good enough point. 😁

Organizers organize! Who would have thought? Not only that, they want to be in control of their organization. Seems reasonable to me. 😉

You have answered all his questions. There are no active groups at this time "because covid". The people who create an organization and go to the trouble of operating it like to maintain control of it as well.

I run the USARB matches here in Michigan at the SMGC (southern Michigan gun club). We just got done holding a regional match (if you will) a rather large match (we called it the Great Lakes Invitational) for our little club with trophies, prizes, shirts meals and sponsorship by Baker Airguns. We shot two complete (3 target) aggregates for each shooter and we had 19 shooters register. basically you can call that 38 shooters registered for one club on a Saturday. that isn't what I'd call dead. We had 2 shooters that had to drop at the last minute for medical reasons, so we had actually 17 shoot.

We tried to run the N50 at our club throughout the past season, but most of our attendees have rifles more set up for the 25 meter game. therefore we had very little interest which makes it hard to justify running a match. I'd like to do it, but I don't see it happen with just 5 shooters.

Throughout the summer we have regular monthly USARB matches and average about 13 shooters that shoot 2 complete aggregates. If I shut that down to 1 aggregate at 25 m, then the next aggregate at 50 yds, over half our attendees leave.

In an effort to find new shooters I attended an EBR type match at another club, but they shoot only 1 target at 100 yards, and the match is over. I mean in and out in less than an hour and a half. Their rifles are set for 100 yards and they would like to shoot further, not closer. in talking to the guys at the local Burger/Bar after the match, they all enjoy gongs at 300 yds. That takes precision and it is fun, but it's not BR... Like nomojoe said. Although it's called BR, but being from centerfire and rimfire BR background, I call one good target (Lots of Luck). Not to knock their style, its just not the routine of the USARB, and or N50 program, which requires good performance over the course of 3 consecutive 25 shot targets. That being said, none of those guys came to any of our close range matches.

USARB isn't dead, but some of their shooters have jumped onto other programs.

That is true for rimfire and airgun BR, but in the centerfire game, IBS and NBRSA are both elected officials with deadline terms. The only official they keep in the organization is a slot called past president, which basically allows the old president to have a vote and a voice with the board of directors in an effort to keep (the scope) of the organizations direction in order. I agree with large organizations being run that way, but at the same time I don't disagree with the way the USARB is structured... The way I see it is ....

Publish your rules, post your schedule, don't change things.... this way any shooter that shows up, knows what he is facing and when. Tell me the rules and I'll find a way to be competitive... If I don't like the way a game is played... I'll find another game.