is the marauder really that quiet?

The Marauder always comes up when googling for a quiet PCP rifle.

I own a Brocock Sniper .22, Akela .177 and a RWS Excalibre .22 all with moderators. ( Sumo).

I have been using my Brocock but wouldn't mind having something a little bit quieter.

ratter.jpeg

I have a small yard with VERY close neighbors, but I do have a safe area to shoot the rats that come to my bird feeders at night

If a marauder w/ moderator would indeed be a bit quieter I was thinking about getting one as Amazon has a pretty good price now @ $369 shipped.

Thanks for any opinions

Reactions: qball
You mentioned you have a Akela in 177 with a moderator how does it sound ? the 22 & 25 is going to be a little louder unless you tune it down . From what I've seen the hammer ping is louder.
Going by my cheap meter, With the brocock turned down to 20 lbs shooting JSB Jumbos, it is the quietest of the 3. The Akela shooting the .177 at full power is a couple Dbs louder. I don't mess with the power valve on the Akela as I had issues with that seal in the past.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to walk near my neighbors house and have someone shoot it so I could hear if it is really that noticeable. The problem is it is so quiet at night the sudden pop of a air rifle seems louder compared with the daytime backround noises.

In it's time, my Marauder was the benchmark for quiet in .22 . Crazy quiet, backyard friendly for sure. I shot it in Denver Proper for many years with no issues.
I do believe, even though my Marauders are long gone, that my tuned medium power Impacts in .22 are just as quiet @ the same power with matched DonnyFL. I could be wrong, as I'm older now ;)

Patrick

The Marauder offers a combination of quiet, adjustable and affordable. Since you're shooting rats at close range, backing off the power will reduce noise and improve shot count. If you do a little research of old Marauder threads, you can nearly double the shot count by replacing the factory steel hammer with an improved material and/or design. (Or just send it to Motorhead and let him work it out.)
I sold my last Marauder not too long ago because I've been shooting long enough to buy a couple higher quality guns. But a guy who just wants to shoot and not dump money into this sport can be quite satisfied with the Marauder after a few tweaks.

In it's time, my Marauder was the benchmark for quiet in .22 . Crazy quiet, backyard friendly for sure. I shot it in Denver Proper for many years with no issues.
I do believe, even though my Marauders are long gone, that my tuned medium power Impacts in .22 are just as quiet @ the same power with matched DonnyFL. I could be wrong, as I'm older now ;)

Patrick
Patrick is correct. They do have a really good baffle system, but if I put my Maverick at 28-30 foot pounds with a Sumo, its just quiet or more so. If I was going to run one with a mod, the Marauder is a good choice. I also had a Daystate Renegade 22cal once and it could go without a moderator, and most of the time I didn't even use one with it.

I have Marauder 177 and Brocock Sniper HR 177.

Its all about the ping when comparing these. My Marauder is tuned to 12ft lbs and the ping is louder than my 18ft lbs Brocock.

That's my experience.

In general, I found 177 to be quieter than 22 when shooting. I have not asked what difference it sounds like 10 feet away from anyone else..

Last edited:
We oughta start a thread called The Marauder haters thread
back in the day the only air guns pcp were from other country's . so Airforce and Benjamin marauder came out with a American pcp , and a ten shot bolt action repeater in 3 different caliber's ! and hundreds less ! its American legacy ! and still a very good gun . and lots of after market parts for modifying , its a big part of USA ! mrod is part of history

Reactions: beerthief