Is the Huma regulator better than the AMP regulator from FX?

AMP reg works very good for me at 175 bars. No issues at all. Why would you want to try Huma? Do you have any issues or maybe you just want to follow the hype?

My regulator is fine. But, I believe it could be better because shot count is lower than what I’d expect. Also, I put a Huma in my Impact and it was quite a bit more consistent compared to the factory regulator…this was before I sold my Impact though lol. I didn’t do a thorough investigation on the differences which is why I want to know if someone here did. 

I just rebuilt my AMP reg and what a tedious pain in the neck. The two orings on the adjuster screw were extremely difficult to install and the oring down in the receiver was also very difficult to fish out and reinstall. I am curious about the Huma reg, it appears to be integral is this true? I read the instructions and they state you have to stack your Belleville’s based on the pressure range for the guns application. But if it’s easier to repair I’d find that worth it. So from that aspect is it better than the amp? Both will be same air efficiency based on pressure set. 

I just rebuilt my AMP reg and what a tedious pain in the neck. The two orings on the adjuster screw were extremely difficult to install and the oring down in the receiver was also very difficult to fish out and reinstall. I am curious about the Huma reg, it appears to be integral is this true? I read the instructions and they state you have to stack your Belleville’s based on the pressure range for the guns application. But if it’s easier to repair I’d find that worth it. So from that aspect is it better than the amp? Both will be same air efficiency based on pressure set.

In the long run…I think the Huma will maintain its integrity a whole lot better than the AMP just because of build quality. I mean my AMP right now is fine…but I think it definitely has lost its air efficiency…NOT it’s consistency though. It’s still very consistent. I should be getting around 40-45 shots per fill at the power level I’m at…yet I only get 30. I think that I will also be able to lower the spread by at least 1-2 FPS with the Huma just based on what my Impact was doing when I had it for as little time as I did.

The inner o ring that’s in the tunnel, 10 x 1.5(9 x 1.5 for Gen 1 and 2 models) has to be changed out regardless if using a Huma or AMP, so there’s no getting away from that tough one, but as far as the regs themselves, they both have the difficult ones to change. In the AMP it’s the 2 x 1 o rings on the adjuster screw and on the Huma they placed the sealing o rings for that adjuster screw inside the regs main body, which I feel is harder to access and screw up if using metal pic tools.

ive since had a special tool made for making the install of the 2 x 1 o rings on the AMP way easier so to me I find the AMP easier to rebuild. 

They do both require patience, and time set out for them to do it right. Definitely not a rush job. The first time is the trickiest. The next time you do it you’ll plan better cause you already know what it’s all about and trust me, it’ll be easier to rebuild the AMP.

The quality of the functionality of a regulator can be referred to as efficiency. The term efficiency does not have to be limited to the air consumption. I think of a reg that produces an ES of 10 and a SD of 2.5 to be performing its job efficiently. 

But I do understand your point, Mike. The state of the tune of the system as a whole; valve characteristics to valve spring & hammer weight working in conjunction to the reg's set point will effect air consumption and that whole system's efficiency. 

Efficiency is a measure of the amount of output vs input. Airgun efficiency is expressed in terms like fpe/cuin. You cannot measure the efficiency of an airgun regulator.

The tune is what produces Airgun efficiency. A gun with a regulator that doesn’t hold a tight operating set pressure can still be made to be efficient. A gun with a reg that doesn’t hold a tight operation set pressure can also be made to hold a very tight ES. A good regulator can help a rifle do both simultaneously….but that doesn’t make the regulator efficient. You don’t even need a regulator to have an efficient airgun.

The only useful parameter that is applicable to regulator performance is the measure of its ability to hold its set pressure.

Mike 

Having rebuilt and installed numerous AMP and Huma regs I have found good and bad with both. I have issues with Huma and reg creep no matter how well and meticulous I rebuild them. Different washer counts to pressure combos, doesn't matter. Long story short Huma regs don't like high reg pressures. Even if you buy a Gen3 high pressure that should handle up to 190 bar it will still creep 10-15 bar in a day even at 140 bar. If you drop to to 135 no more reg creep or very limited. Adding washers to a high reg set up, I have found does not take care of the reg creep. I have also tried different O-ring materials to see if that would make a difference, I found it didn't. I do like that you get a brass set up that sits on a disc, this does usually seal the reg better than AMP overall, but Huma knows reg creep is an issue. I found after about 500 shots the reg creep does lower with a better seal on the disc, but still is an issue. I have found this issue of reg creep for first shot to be more of a problem in my FX guns then stiction. However stiction is present at the lower non creep pressures. We have all read about this issue and some possible fixes.

The AMP I find it creeps also and also likes lower reg pressures, even though 170 bar is max for impacts and mavericks I believe. The piston and set screw are the weak areas here. The dome shape and unfinished rough brass screw end do not always seal well against each other. If you take the time to polish these two ends on the reg you will get a better consistent and efficient reg with a better closed seal and much less creep. However, why do you need to do this on a $2000+ rifle? FX really needs to get rid of the non brass piston and just give us what we pay for. 

The O-ring the block that seals against the body of the reg, I have found success with the Viton on this area. I have also found that dry washers inside seem to help also, instead of a light silicone oil on them. I just grease the body, piston and O-rings. Rest I leave clean and dry. Seems to help also. 

So between the two I would use them equally. If you have a AMP reg, use it and save the money. Just take the time to polish it and clean up the two ends the seat together for a seal inside the reg. This will make it every bit as good as the Huma if done right and carefully so you don't change the profile of the two surfaces. I would do this if I was rebuilding it anyways and save the $90 dollars. 

Coyotedio, great explanation on pressure regulators. Thank you. I have polished the FX controller and I must say that it is now really good. Set to just under 130 bar (it could be 128 or 129 bar), it remains with a fixed setting even after weeks of use and non-use cycles of my crown. One thing to note .... the first shot, but only that, even after a couple of hours from using the crown, makes me register even 5J less, then, all the other shots fired are perfectly stable. it could be the pressure drop (after a certain amount of time of use) in the custom home made plenum box that I installed. Conclusion ... I'm happy with my AMP regulator and, at least for now, I don't feel the need for a Huma.