Is the GX Compressor the best mobile alternative?!

Wow! Seems to be a touchy subject. To each his own on what they prefer. I’m pretty sure this is just another way to fill tanks on Airguns. I applaud TF’s approach. Another way to skin the cat. I think it’s innovative and prefer the concept! Ultimately lower cost with similar performance seems to win the race…..
It's because so many have been burned so bad by inexpensive compressors. The only one that lasted rhe years has been the YH. The big plus with the YH is its knowledge base here, availability of replacement parts, and the ability to fill bottles. Everything else had promise but seem to always fail for one reason or another. The problem list is big with the YH but is well known. It is heavy, it breaks parts when it's gets hot (and it can get hot pretty quick). It detonates when wrong oil is used. Many believe it to have cheaply made parts, but in reality compared to it's copy cats it's built very well.

Allen

Reactions: Yote
It's because so many have been burned so bad by inexpensive compressors. The only one that lasted rhe years has been the YH. The big plus with the YH is its knowledge base here, availability of replacement parts, and the ability to fill bottles. Everything else had promise but seem to always fail for one reason or another. The problem list is big with the YH but is well known. It is heavy, it breaks parts when it's gets hot (and it can get hot pretty quick). It detonates when wrong oil is used. Many believe it to have cheaply made parts, but in reality compared to it's copy cats it's built very well.

Allen

Your assumptions are incorrect lol. People are annoyed by the clickbaity title. There's nothing "Yong Heng killer" about it. It's slower, less serviceable, will fail somewhere around 10hrs, and is in fact less capable. Its a cheap Chinese compressor just like every other one. It doesn't have copy cats.... it is a copy cat and it will break just like every one before it. There is nothing innovative about it. Affordable, portable and oil less compressors are a dime a dozen these days and they all share the same issues.

I know 3 people who bought that CS2. 2 of the 3 were shipped back immediately because they didn't work. The 3rd worked fine as a backup compressor which is its intended use. If you don't shoot a lot, its probably fine. If you do shoot a lot 20-30 fills doesn't prove anything. I wasn't exaggerating in my previous statement. That is one weeks worth of fills for some people.

The CS2 is not better in any way other than it is more portable and lighter to carry. Yes title is a bit click baiting. No I'm not assuming this compressor is going to last any longer than the other cheap compressors out there. But it is portable and there is at least a source here in the states for parts and service that I do appreciate that target forge is providing.

Allen

I believe it does have a significantly superior design than other inexpensive compressors.
Better ring systems, more robust piston design and ROLLER bearings, less generated heat, quieter and more! No, it won’t “kill” the YH. But, it has the strong potential to change how people choose to fill their guns…..tanks aren’t the perfect answer either. People are just more comfortable with how they are doing things and have accepted the shortcomings of designed fill systems. This is what happens in evolution of design.
PCPs are “better” design for shooting than breakbarrels. Right? Why? Cuz someone figured a better system.

Paired with a well designed filter, the GX CS2 changes the game! JMHO

I believe it does have a significantly superior design than other inexpensive compressors.
Better ring systems, more robust piston design and ROLLER bearings, less generated heat, quieter and more! No, it won’t “kill” the YH. But, it has the strong potential to change how people choose to fill their guns…..tanks aren’t the perfect answer either. People are just more comfortable with how they are doing things and have accepted the shortcomings of designed fill systems. This is what happens in evolution of design.
PCPs are “better” design for shooting than breakbarrels. Right? Why? Cuz someone figured a better system.

Paired with a well designed filter, the GX CS2 changes the game! JMHO
This is your opinion, not evolution of a fill source. It is YOUR opinion that a compressor is a better source, not mine. A tank (for me) is far superior due to my previous statements. A portable compressor has its place for sure, but is it the evolution of the sport? Not likely.

• Sad
Reactions: ske1eter
Wow! Seems to be a touchy subject. To each his own on what they prefer. I’m pretty sure this is just another way to fill tanks on Airguns. I applaud TF’s approach. Another way to skin the cat. I think it’s innovative and prefer the concept! Ultimately lower cost with similar performance seems to win the race…..
Patrick, One of my favorite movies had the line "There are some men you just can't reach" it speaks volumes. They look at the title of a video and make wild assumptions of the content within, it's almost comical really. I wrote right in the description of the 1st video, "probably not for everyone". Throughout the course of the videos, and by consequence MY learnings, I made some simple observations. Gun fill pressures are rising, leading to less and less capacity in those giant SCBA bottles. I guess if your content with the airguns with low fill pressures, the SCBA YH paradigm is just fine. Those that see what's coming down the road may have a different notion. One fellow used an analogy of two waitresses, it was cute, here is another:
Bob has a tri axle dump truck, it can haul tons of gravel at a time and gets awful fuel economy. Sue just learned she has an engagement 700 miles away and needs to bring her family. Sue has a very nice hybrid with plenty of room. Should she take Bob's truck? Best tool for the job does not always mean flat out capacity. Again, as I have repeated over and over, to each his own. I still have my Yong Heng'S and a ton of SCBA bottles. Do I use them much anymore? Nope. Just one guys opinion, but it is funny to see folks react like I'd kicked a leg out from under their stool at hunting camp. I hope one day we can have an open mind and see other ideas objectively.

Patrick, One of my favorite movies had the line "There are some men you just can't reach" it speaks volumes. They look at the title of a video and make wild assumptions of the content within, it's almost comical really. I wrote right in the description of the 1st video, "probably not for everyone". Throughout the course of the videos, and by consequence MY learnings, I made some simple observations. Gun fill pressures are rising, leading to less and less capacity in those giant SCBA bottles. I guess if your content with the airguns with low fill pressures, the SCBA YH paradigm is just fine. Those that see what's coming down the road may have a different notion. One fellow used an analogy of two waitresses, it was cute, here is another:
Bob has a tri axle dump truck, it can haul tons of gravel at a time and gets awful fuel economy. Sue just learned she has an engagement 700 miles away and needs to bring her family. Sue has a very nice hybrid with plenty of room. Should she take Bob's truck? Best tool for the job does not always mean flat out capacity. Again, as I have repeated over and over, to each his own. I still have my Yong Heng'S and a ton of SCBA bottles. Do I use them much anymore? Nope. Just one guys opinion, but it is funny to see folks react like I'd kicked a leg out from under their stool at hunting camp. I hope one day we can have an open mind and see other ideas objectively.
So glad you said to have an open mind, because that’s EXACTLY what you’re lacking in your responses. Analogies aside, you just can’t compare a YH to a cs2. It’s apples to oranges. Both have their place, and both have different jobs. Saying one kills the other is opinion and heresay, seeing your own opinion as gospel will not help you grown and learn what others need or want for their personal setup. What’s good for ypu, isn’t good for everyone. That’s the great thing about this sport. There’s something out there for everyone, and in a world where no 2 people are alike, that’s a fantastic thing to have.
Clickbait will get you views, but it’ll get ypu criticism also. I Advise you take both in stride!

Reactions: CyberDyneSystems
The CS2 is not better in any way other than it is more portable and lighter to carry. Yes title is a bit click baiting. No I'm not assuming this compressor is going to last any longer than the other cheap compressors out there. But it is portable and there is at least a source here in the states for parts and service that I do appreciate that target forge is providing.

Allen
You forgot does not require a 5 gal bucket and expensive oil, runs in places the Yong Heng cannot, don't forget those. And if you have a gun that fills to 4500 PSI that SCBA solution becomes considerably less useful. Hey, this video series is CALLED The Yong Heng Hot Rod Shop. I've collected meaningful data on the Yong Heng that NO ONE else has done, I've designed a chassis and real water cooling systems with ridiculous instrumentation for the Yong Heng. Supported TONS of Yong Heng owners when they have trouble diagnosing their Yong Hengs. I've waited months for parts to creep across the ocean, been using and tinkering with them since 2016. There were folks that said "those cars, rubbish they will never catch on", "Airplanes? Why would anyone want to fly in an airplane?". I have a WHOLE line up of videos of taking my Yong Heng Hot Rod to the next level. Will I use it much? Probably not, that CS2 Hybrid needs test hours! Lol. Oh, and I don't think it is "click baity" to explore an idea and share what happened to ME.

Last edited:
I don't have a Yong Heng, so I have no horse in this race. To the contrary, I am currently relying on a lowly "spritech" $275.00 Amazon compressor which i know will die any time soon. That might make me a Target Forge potential customer.

IMHO The proper response to Glem's challenge pointing out that contrary to the title, this is no Yon Heng killer as it is not capable of doing what Yong Heng owners chose the Yong Heng for, would have been to say;

'good points Glem. We think that this would appeal to many, but understand that it can't fill scuba tanks, so perhaps the title was out of place'

and that would have ended this debate rather than escalate it.

Personally, I've never been a fan of vendors that come to these forums and look for a fight with the membership. That's a really bad way to sell a product or an idea. Others may feel differently, but watching this sort of exchange always leaves me wondering just what kind of argument I will end up in the day I require customer service.

The points you chose to argue against ARE good points. Ironically, it was your reply to observations re: the Yong Heng comparison that showed a lack of open mind. We should all be able to agree that not everyone wants the same thing. The Yong Heng was brought into this in the title, that opened that door. How you dealt with it leaves a lot to be desired.

Again, this is coming from someone that is not married to a Yong Heng, or a scba tank, just an observer and potential customer that is interested in an easy way to fill my rifles without having to buy a new compressor every few months, or spend more time maintaining one than shooting.

Good luck.

Last edited:
So glad you said to have an open mind, because that’s EXACTLY what you’re lacking in your responses. Analogies aside, you just can’t compare a YH to a cs2. It’s apples to oranges. Both have their place, and both have different jobs. Saying one kills the other is opinion and heresay, seeing your own opinion as gospel will not help you grown and learn what others need or want for their personal setup. What’s good for ypu, isn’t good for everyone. That’s the great thing about this sport. There’s something out there for everyone, and in a world where no 2 people are alike, that’s a fantastic thing to have.
Clickbait will get you views, but it’ll get ypu criticism also. I Advise you take both in stride!
My mind is open, I have done more with a Yong Heng than many. Now drawing conclusions from a video title? Not exploring the content? That is close minded.

Reactions: Erebos and BSJ
I don't have a Yong Heng, so I have no horse in this race. To the contrary, I am currently relying on a lowly "spritech" $275.00 Amazon compressor which i know will die any time soon. That might make me a Target Forge potential customer.

IMHO The proper response to Glem's challenge pointing out that contrary to the title, this is no Yon Heng killer as it is not capable of doing what Yong Heng owners chose the Yong Heng for, would have been to say;

'good points Glem. We think that this would appeal to many, but understand that it can't fill scuba tanks, so perhaps the title was out of place'

and that would have edned this deabte rather than escalate it.

Personally, I've never been a fan of vendors that come to these forums and look for a fight with the membership. That's a really bad way to sell a product or an idea. Others may feel differently, but watching this sort of exchange always leaves me wondering just what kind of argument I will end up in the day I require customer service.

The points you chose to argue against ARE good points. Ironically, it was your reply to observations re: the Yong Heng comparison that showed a lack of open mind. We should all be able to agree that not everyone wants the same thing. The Yong Heng was broght into this in the title, that opened that door. How you dealt with it leaves a lot to be desired.

Again, this is coming from someone that is not married to a Yong Heng, or a scba tank, just an observer and potential customer that is interested in an easy way to fill my rifles without having to buy a new compressor every few months, or spend more time maintaining one than shooting.

Good luck.
Again, not looking at the content and drawing conclusions. I say right in the video, a Yong Heng if well cared for can last, not the paradigm I was addressing friend. Not needing to drag that SCBA bottle around has been kinda liberating FOR ME. Again, as I stated right in the video description, not for everyone means just that. I apologize if you feel I have somehow weaponized this, and I'll step out of it so as to no longer draw ire. Peace everyone.

My mind is open, I have done more with a Yong Heng than many. Now drawing conclusions from a video title? Not exploring the content? That is close minded.
Drawing your own conclusions here. I’ve watched ALL your videos, and find them very informative. This doesn’t mean your titles aren’t click bait. They sure are. I must agree with cyber on this one. If you’re here to argue valid points instead of taking the criticism, how is your customer service going to be if I ever have an issue. Just to premise, I own many of your targets, and would not hesitate to buy again. Not sure I feel the same if I were to need service parts for my cs2.

Reactions: UCChris
Evolution? Yes, I would have to say yes. There is one part of the market where high performance heavy slug, high air usage with high presures are a must. Not many options to satisfy that need but there is this compressor to top off guns like the huben and other high caliber air guns that only work well with high reg pressures. Having a fill bottle only works if you can fill that gun up to the needed 300 bar. How many times can you do that if you can only fill the fill tank to 300 bar? Next step in the evolution will be 5 and 6 k fills on fill tanks. Well the other option is a booster like the Ayrtekk booster. So yes I think a compressor such as this, is part of the evolution of the pcps. Will this compressor actually last? Maybe not, but at least we have some state side support that we can get some help with.

Allen

I've been using a GX to fill SCBA tanks for over a year now, without problems.

I've been using them in a "not approved" manner, in that I cycle them on and off in regular intervals to keep the temperature below 45c (temperature measured on the top black aluminum face). I have a little arduino circuit that does this for me.

You're not supposed to turn these units on with a lot of back-pressure in the line, but I have not encountered any problems, as of yet!

So far I'm a fan of the GX compressor, and if it failed in the next few months I would not feel hard-done by.

IMO the best tweak they could make to the unit to potentially win over the Glem Challys of the world would be to add a little 3-way solenoid valve into the system and a timer, so that the system could automatically "take a break", turning the motor off and purging the back pressure at the compressor, but using a 1-way valve to keep the pressure in the line (i.e. from the 1-way valve to the moisture filter and filling target stays pressurized). That could potentially turn the GX into a slow-but-capable competitor to the bigger and more expensive pumps.

Last edited:

I've been using them in a "not approved" manner, in that I cycle them on and off in regular intervals to keep the temperature below 45c (temperature measured on the top black aluminum face). I have a little arduino circuit that does this for me.

You're not supposed to turn these units on with a lot of back-pressure in the line, but I have not encountered any problems, as of yet!

So far I'm a fan of the GX compressor, and if it failed in the next few months I would not feel hard-done by.
Man, that says something about how stout the bottom end is.

Allen

Reactions: CyberDyneSystems

IMO the best tweak they could make to the unit to potentially win over the Glem Challys of the world would be to add a little 3-way solenoid valve into the system and a timer, so that the system could automatically "take a break", turning the motor off and purging the back pressure at the compressor, but using a 1-way valve to keep the pressure in the line (i.e. from the 1-way valve to the moisture filter and filling target stays pressurized). That could potentially turn the GX into a slow-but-capable competitor to the bigger and more expensive pumps.
The Glem Challys of the World know that "dragging an SCBA around" is very similar to dragging a compressor around. One takes seconds to fill with no power source needed and one takes minutes 😁 Again its a good option for people who want to fill bottles only.

Reactions: madeintheuk
I see something like this being useful for people that go out for several days, setup camp and just want something that can sustain them as a backup for when tank gets to low. As someone who encounters this on a regular basis I can see some worth to the unit.
On a outing like yours I would have major air anxiety without a pump like this. Along with batteries for the cameras. 😫

Allen

The Glem Challys of the World know that "dragging an SCBA around" is very similar to dragging a compressor around. One takes seconds to fill with no power source needed and one takes minutes 😁 Again its a good option for people who want to fill bottles only.

Sure, but what if you want a do-it-all pump that isn't too big or crazy expensive. That's what this is about.