Is the GX Compressor the best mobile alternative?!

Sure, but what if you want a do-it-all pump that isn't too big or crazy expensive. That's what this is about.

You showed up a bit late to the party here. They changed the title of this post at some point today. The original title was insinuating that this compressor would basically replace the Yong Heng in general. The new title is a much more accurate representation of what this compressor actually can do and is made for.

You showed up a bit late to the party here. They changed the title of this post at some point today. The original title was insinuating that this compressor would basically replace the Yong Heng in general. The new title is a much more accurate representation of what this compressor actually can do and is made for.
I just noticed this. Lol. Thanks for pointing it out. Makes all our shying look a little ridiculous now. Lol

I find the reactions interesting, but past those here are my observations:

The 2 part series on air quality was very informative. He proved with data 3 critical points:

The gold filter design the YH gurus came up with works well for removing water

Hydrologic oil is not the correct one to use in a YH because of CO levels. He honestly admitted he was incorrect and learned something through testing.

Cotton filters don't work to remove water with the CS2.

In another video the CS2 was disassembled and maintenance of critical areas was discussed.

I could list a lot more of things I like about his videos as he explores and learns about his passion.

I do understand the passion on the other side. Neither is wrong, but emotions often cloud the argument on both sides (If you read this as me signaling you out from a post you made then don't. It is a general observation from many threads.).

I appreciate what Target Forge has done to try and further the community, and what he will do in the future.

I’ve owned the GX compressor a little over a year now. Easily have 100 hours on it with no issues. It really comes in handy when I’m at the range and don’t have to stop shooting after my tank is done.

I can see how the title comes off as click baity to the guys who are content with their YH’s. Perhaps calling it “hand pump killer” would have been a more apt name lol. Can’t please everyone. To some people this is a YH killer; particularly new shooters who don’t need a YH and would be content with the capability of the GX compressor.

After watching this video I watched his other video on GX maintenance and found it very helpful. I didn’t know how to service it let alone where to get parts from!

Quite the thread.....

I have a question that popped into my head while reading it. Is there a better solution to the following than having two compressors if both types of service was wanted, portable and faster fills? This is what I am thinking as probably the best solution at the at this moment in time. A Yong Heng AND a GX CS2 can both be purchased for under $640 total on Amazon - GX CS2 - $339 / Yong Heng $299. Is there a single portable 12 v compressor or a different 2 compressor combo available that will do what the GX and the Yong Heng can do for close to or less than $640 and will hold up as well as those two models generally do?

Desired Setup

A portable compressor that will run from my 12 V vehicle battery that can fill a 580 cc bottle from 2000 psi to 3625 psi (250 bar) in less than 12-15 minutes, that some owners are getting at least two years of use for filling guns directly. (I am halfway there since I already have a GX CS3 which covers the portable use very well for me.)

A low cost (Under $300) 120v compressor that can be used to fill at least a 45 minute SCBA tank from 3000 psi to 4500 psi in a reasonable amount of time say 30 minutes? I saw at least one Yong Heng owner who filled their 30 min SCBA from 3000 to 4500 psi in 10 minutes which sounds great. I do want at least a 30 minute SCBA but am considering a 45 min.

Last edited:
Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
Quite the thread.....

I have a question that popped into my head while reading it. Is there a better solution to the following than having two compressors if both types of service was wanted, portable and faster fills? This is what I am thinking as probably the best solution at the at this moment in time. A Yong Heng AND a GX CS2 can both be purchased for under $640 total on Amazon - GX CS2 - $339 / Yong Heng $299. Is there a single portable 12 v compressor or a different 2 compressor combo available that will do what the GX and the Yong Heng can do for close to or less than $640 and will hold up as well as those two models generally do?

Desired Setup

A portable compressor that will run from my 12 V vehicle battery that can fill a 580 cc bottle from 2000 psi to 3625 psi (250 bar) in less than 12-15 minutes, that some owners are getting at least two years of use for filling guns directly. (I am halfway there since I already have a GX CS3 which covers the portable use very well for me.)

A low cost (Under $300) 120v compressor that can be used to fill at least a 45 minute SCBA tank from 3000 psi to 4500 psi in a reasonable amount of time say 30 minutes? I saw at least one Yong Heng owner who filled their 30 min SCBA from 3000 to 4500 psi in 10 minutes which sounds great. I do want at least a 30 minute SCBA but am considering a 45 min.
Good post! Just remember to get the moisture out from BOTH types. I see a lot of folks buying compressors to fill directly into their guns. One of the videos from Target Forge showed how much can be getting into your gun without an adequate filter…. And the small “tampon-types” will not remove this moisture! You want dry air going in your gun’s tank.

Good post! Just remember to get the moisture out from BOTH types. I see a lot of folks buying compressors to fill directly into their guns. One of the videos from Target Forge showed how much can be getting into your gun without an adequate filter…. And the small “tampon-types” will not remove this moisture! You want dry air going in your gun’s tank.

Though the GX CS3 appears to have a significantly better water trap than previous models I do plan on adding a secondary trap with some moisture indicating beads in it to find out how good it really is.

I have one of each. Both serve different purposes frankly. I use both to TOP off both my air tanks, but once either big tank falls below 1800 or so of psi, the YM is a better choice in my opinion. That being said, I am ordering s second GX specifically for the quick turn around I can get in the field running off the truck or solar powered inverter. It's without question WAY simpler to use and for short, quick (and cheaper) fills, it works great. Plus when taking 5-7 rifles out with the boys, it's very slick, quiet and doesn't require a bucket everytime I need to use it.

Reactions: SHOMER and BSJ
I think this is a good alternative to the YH route. I've been reading up on these compressors and for what they are not bad at all, from the looks of it. Personally I just fill my tank at Scuba shops and find that the easiest for my shooting, but alternatives like this are great because the make the sport more accessible for new shooters. Handpumps are a good tool for entry level airguns and those willing to put some elbow grease into it, but for anyone serious about getting into the sport I think this option is a serious one. Echoing what has been said above: a good filter is needed.

Thanks @Target Forge for putting together this info for new shooters. I think this thread went a little sideways and hyper focused on the original title, but the effort given on presenting this compressor to shooters is commendable.

Kind regards,
Atlas

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading this thread, I feel better about my setup.

1. For plinking / pesting (90% of my shooting): pellets. Highest minimum reg pressure is 130 B, easily maintained running 3 tanks (large, medium, small). I fiill the large, sometimes medium at the dive shop for $5 ever month or so. Start my fills with the lowest pressure tank first, then top off with the other. Small stays around 220 B for fast 200 B fills of my HW44.

2. For long range: 22lr. IMO airgun slug tunes requiring pressure above 150 B isn't worth the hassle, and while good slugs are ~ 1/4 the cost of match grade 22 lr, factor in the air bill (equipment + care & feeding) and their is probably a slim cost / shot savings, requiring a lot of shots for a payback. And you can pick up a very good bolt action 22lr for < $1k.

3. For mental health: pull out a springer.

I found this GTA and believe it might bring some science to the dialog-

From AlanMcD
Bill is absolutely correct - there is a world of difference between filling a gun and filling a tank with a powered compressor . . . . and if filling a tank, it really does not matter how low your relative humidity is - if you are not taking steps to actively dry the air, you'll be passing water vapor into the tank.

If you "do the math" on water vapor, compression, and condensation, you will find that it is all about the temperature of the air charge leaving the compressor - this defines the amount of water vapor that will be carried into the gun or tank after compression. If the temperature of that air charge is high (for example, around 140 F), then even a relative humidity of just 2% would pass water vapor into the tank as the pressure gets high. About the only place where the RH is low enough such that water vapor would never be an issue in compression under any circumstance would be the articin the in the winter - an air conditioned room is not going to matter.

Hand pumping, done right, does not cause a problem because the air charge cools down before passing into the gun, and the water vapor condenses out to liquid before it gets to the gun. The air going into the gun is at 100% RH (for that level of compression) but won't condense out further, as the RH drops down as the pressure drops when the gun is shot.

Powered compressors are a whole other matter - run them long enough and they will be passing water vapor into the reservoirs because the air charge does get and stay hot, as they simply do not have enough "heat sink" material to cool it down (the base of a hand pump does this on them). This water vapor will condense out as it cools down in the gun or tank - it is not a lot of liquid water (probably just a drop or two per fill, as highly compressed air can't hold much vapor to begin with) but it will build up over time. As with hand pumps some can be shot out, but if there is too much getting in it will build up over time, and these pumps will pass more into the guns to begin with.

But filling tanks is a whole other matter - the pumps will run much longer, and thus the air charge will rise to a higher temperature and stay there, and thus more water vapor will flow to the tank than to a smaller gun reservoir. And of course the higher pressure matters too - 3000 psi air can hold more water vapor than 4500 psi air can, thus more condenses out when the air charge cools in that tank . . .

With powered pumps, an inline desiccant is highly recommended. They will work without a PMV (pressure maintaining valve) but will work better with one - this is because the build up of pressure forces condensation to occurs and that reduces the load on the desiccant. Without a PMV you'll simply have to change or recharge the desiccant more often.

I came here through the "Target Forge Site Down" thread. It's unfortunate some people took the "YH Killer" title so literally, as it's really not necessary.

I've torn down and rebuilt two YH compressors now and am still working on that detailed Shop Manual...things like making a shooting range, re-making it after a few bad storms, actually shooting, and general things like a busy full-time job, maintaining things I own, and life in general are holding me back...whereas @Target Forge kept up on providing really useful information and excellent Made-In-USA products. We really should give Bill a lot of credit for the time invested in bringing airgunners awesome information and products.

With that, I have lots of money invested in tanks, fittings, hoses, filter equipment, electronics, gauges, tools, etc. And time...lots of time. So when I say this it's not without a lot of investment and experience: His title isn't that far off, if at all. Really, anyone can save a lot of money, time, expense, and space in their shop and freezer*, plus prevent the occasional wet mess with his most recent compressor find. He's right, if an airgun needs a lot of pressure, carbon fiber tanks --even when cascaded-- are a lot of expense, space, and hassle when a fitting starts leaking (mainly during the fill process).

For me, who doesn't get much time at the range and has airguns that are happy being bottle-fed, bottles make sense, but man the investment was more than I thought it would be! If I took a truck or ATV to wherever I'm shooting and slow-fired my rounds, yeah, the GX CS2 compressor would be the way to go, and in that respect it would be a YH "killer." When one piece of equipment failing means a failed trip that's a lot of bottle-based equipment to double-up on (yup, I pack it all in to camp), so if I were to instead buy two CS2 compressors--done. Just like that. Done.

It makes sense for me to be a tank guy**, and therefore I'll probably always be a Yong Heng compressor owner, but credit where credit is due: Bill nailed a very affordable solution that could displace the YH for a number of airgunners.

---
* I ice-cool my water to hit the fill volume of multiple tanks/new tanks.

** Given I invite friends and share my setups a lot of rounds go down-range so tanks really get the job done, sometimes I'm just the "bottle boy" filling guns and assisting people when they've got questions--it's all good.

I'm going to give a shout-out to Michael & Steve of @Airgun Nation and the members that helped me along the way (and continue to do so). It's great being here, hopefully all this work gets me on the range more in Winter and I can give back to the community.