Is the GX Compressor the best mobile alternative?!

Airgun Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 24, 2020
Colorado, United States
One of the biggest challenges of getting into a PCP airgun is a reliable air source. Bill from Target has taken a bit different approach. He's using an Amazon affiliate link to promote the most reliable, versatile, and serviceable unit he could find https://amzn.to/3gUBC0Q

Screenshot_20220830-120902_Instagram.jpg

From there he offers miscellaneous parts on his website where fanatics can customize their compressor to what calls the "CS2 Hybrid" https://targetforge.net/shop/ols/categories/gx-compressor-parts

Check out his CS2 video

and his CS2 Hybrid mods

I recently purchased the GX CS2 and a small Carette filter from Top-Gun Airguns. I believe this is a very suitable system for filling directly to an airgun. Moreover, I believe Bill at Target Forge is very knowledgeable about repairs, maintenance and proper use of both of these pieces of equipment. If the GX CS2 holds up and Carette filter behaves as "advertised" it will be a game changer for most budget-minded airgunners. Plus, he carries parts(quite reasonably priced, too!!) for maintenance and repairs.
The small Carette filter seems to be very high quality and should remove the vast amount of moisture from what ALL of these small compressors are putting out, provided it is used properly. The big drawback with the filter came with no instructions on use, maintenance or what each knob is supposed to do or how to set it up correctly or how to change the internals(molecular sieves, etc. Hopefully, something will be coming soon to explain all this.
Bill has made some mods to the compressor and filter that will, I believe, reduce the headaches of operating them and keep your guns dry inside. The use of the filters/driers that come with small compressors is inappropriate, IMO, and possibly dangerous for operating, not to mention the moisture that is, likely, very harmful to the airgun.
Highly recommended!!

I recently purchased the GX CS2 and a small Carette filter from Top-Gun Airguns. I believe this is a very suitable system for filling directly to an airgun. Moreover, I believe Bill at Target Forge is very knowledgeable about repairs, maintenance and proper use of both of these pieces of equipment. If the GX CS2 holds up and Carette filter behaves as "advertised" it will be a game changer for most budget-minded airgunners. Plus, he carries parts(quite reasonably priced, too!!) for maintenance and repairs.
The small Carette filter seems to be very high quality and should remove the vast amount of moisture from what ALL of these small compressors are putting out, provided it is used properly. The big drawback with the filter came with no instructions on use, maintenance or what each knob is supposed to do or how to set it up correctly or how to change the internals(molecular sieves, etc. Hopefully, something will be coming soon to explain all this.
Bill has made some mods to the compressor and filter that will, I believe, reduce the headaches of operating them and keep your guns dry inside. The use of the filters/driers that come with small compressors is inappropriate, IMO, and possibly dangerous for operating, not to mention the moisture that is, likely, very harmful to the airgun.
Highly recommended!!
Now there is a guy that gets it!

Yeah so no real comparison, unless you're a fill to gun everytime guy. Tough to say something is better if it's less capable.
Less capable? As in not requiring 5 gallon buckets of water, ice, an SCBA bottle? Goes anywhere my truck, atv, solar fill station, DeWalt tool battery are? Open your mind friend.

Great series! Do you have plans for review on the variants of that pump like its big brother like the L3?
And other than shared parts between these do you carry parts for the rest of the gx line?

Thanks for supporting us guys who are willing to tinker on our compressors.

Allen
I'd love too, but the coffers for the YouTube channel are a bit lean these days. The only difference between the CS2/L2 and the CS3/L3 are some features that cost more money, and generally lead to more failures. I have found the CS2, and especially the CS2 Hybrid to be reliable, portable, and easy to service. Not needing oil and water all the time is icing on the cake. Some guys are in love with their Yong Hengs and their SCBA bottles, that's fine I guess. I relish the portability and ease of use. To each his own.

You’re comparing apples to oranges. While I like the idea, taking 5-10mins every time I want to fill my pcp when I’m out in the field, or at the range is not my idea of a good alternative. My toning heng stays at home and fills my tanks. My tanks then come in the field with me where it takes less than 30seconds to hook up, fill, and remove the tank. Not to mention it’s much quieter.
There are places for both, but to say this compressor replaces the yong heng is just plain not true!

Not what its meant for.
I.E less capable. It's a cool little compressor, but it's limited in its use. (Limited to filling straight to gun not the SCBAs most of us use)

Mary works in a diner and can wait tables and run the cash register, barb can only wait tables. Both are equally good at waiting tables, which is more capable and is a more valuable employee?

Last edited:
Reactions: madeintheuk
I fill my mid sized fill tank with the YH at home, at the same time I bring the portable compressor because I have air anxiety. 😢
So when I bring the bench gun air hog to the range and know that if I want to keep shooting after the fill tank is empty I can just top off with the portable compressor if I need to.

Allen

Last edited:
Wow! Seems to be a touchy subject. To each his own on what they prefer. I’m pretty sure this is just another way to fill tanks on Airguns. I applaud TF’s approach. Another way to skin the cat. I think it’s innovative and prefer the concept! Ultimately lower cost with similar performance seems to win the race…..