FX Is the FX King a step forward or backward?

I always find it interesting how, when a new rifle comes out (in particular a new FX rifle), a number of people jump in with comments about how its ugly, how they don’t want any extra gauges, or gauges which are angled, etc. Only a few people actually give any clear or reasoned explanations, like Long Gun Dallas did, about why the gun is not at the top of their list.

I have two Crowns, both Mark IIs, and love them. I have altered them many times and adjusted the power and caliber often. Currently one is a 700mm .30 caliber in a Saber Tactical stock. The other is a 600mm .22 caliber Laminate stock. They fill particular niches for me (the traditional format feels very different to me than the more tactical style like the Impact, or the Leshiy 2) and I shoot them well, especially offhand (Laminate stock). However, with the Saber Tactical stock it is tremendous bench gun as well.

Having said that, I am very interested in the King. Why? First of all, the looks don’t bother me at all. Second, it’s interesting technology, with the plenum and the pressure chamber around the barrel. Third, I’ve wanted a GRS stock for a while, and fourth, the power inherent in the Dynamic block is interesting to me. Do I NEED more power? Of course not. I have Impacts that make as much or more power, hell, I have a Wildcat MK III BT with a slug power kit that makes the same power.

But since when has owning airguns (especially multiple ones) been about NEED. I want the dam thing! Of course I also want a DRS, and a Panthera, and a …

Arrgh. It never ends 😂

Last edited:
Especially considering the added power is unwanted for me, there are a lot of detracting factors with this gun. The Crown is already a wide gun.

I think there were a number of things done with the crown that make it very hard to improve on. Sure, you can improve power. Looks, ergonomics, balance, light weight, accuracy? Not to mention, the design is relatively simple, and it is easy to work on. And then add to it that FX QC is down from where it used to be....

And I do much prefer the old stocks.

View attachment 433425
The FX crown the Daystate Huntsman/revere AIR ARMS S500/510, Brocock sniper xr are cornerstone air guns.
The Panthera, dynamic, and king to me, are purpose built and are a step forward in performance and design. That being said, give me one of the fore mentioned offerings and I'm good.

The FX crown the Daystate Huntsman/revere AIR ARMS S500/510, Brocock sniper xr are cornerstone air guns.
The Panthera, dynamic, and king to me, are purpose built and are a step forward in performance and design. That being said, give me one of the fore mentioned offerings and I'm good.
RAWs as well, though, to my knowledge they are a bit heavier. Probably much like the AAs

There are definitely good use cases for more power. But in my opinion, airguns primarily find their sweet spot where air usage is more efficient, and power is still respectable, and at least for me, effective, but not approaching the power of actual firearms.

Granted, there are advantages to high power air guns, but not much use for them unless you have regular access to large areas or ranges to shoot. AND either have easy access to a filling station or have a VERY respectable filling solution yourself. I have a 9L tank and my Yong heng does just fine, but I do not like running it often, and I normally do not need to. I just don't use that much air. And honestly can say I do not want to. Now, if I had a large property, and a high end compressor, it would all be fun and games. I'd have casting equipment and a long distance target range. I have none of these. And I'd wager most people do not.

Crown and King/dynamic are like apples and oranges. One is a pellet gun and the other is a slug gun. Is an apple a step forward or backward compared to an orange? Their internals are not even remotely close to each other.

Granted I don’t like the king as much and won’t buy one but I’m sure FX is ok with that.

Last edited:
I have a crown and a dynamic. The dynamic outperforms the crown any day.
I'm guessing in terms of power? Or is it also more efficient at the higher power levels? If accuracy is in question. I would struggle greatly and likely may never succeed at getting a gun to shoot MORE accurately than my crown. I could probably get a few to shoot just as good or close, but that would still be a real struggle. I've had a number of barrels on mine. Still have 5. Never an issue with any of them. But the reinforced 500mm i have is by far the least tune sensitive or ammo picky, including various weights and designs of slugs, that I've ever had the pleasure of using. 700mm is measured as being the most accurate. Though tuning was no easy task. Sub 1/2 moa. Never measured but I know holes touching at 100 is sub 1/2 moa 🤷‍♂️ honestly did not care to measure or post photos cause the accuracy I had got out of that setup was frankly absurd. Like if I saw someone post that up, I would think they shot it at 40 not 100. In any case I've never cared much for groups. Generally, if I shoot the thing. I know how accurate it is. And if it's not, I've got a problem. If it is, I'm going to be out shooting it. 🤷‍♂️

Now I can see how a barrel reinforced by a pressure chamber could be very good. But I'd really be interested to see or know if it is any better than the barrels I mentioned. And even if it was, I struggle to imagine it being better by anything other than a tiny margin. In either the expects of lack of tune sensitivity or projectile pickiness in one or flat out accuracy in the other. I never stretched the 500 out so I truly do not know exactly how accurate it is. Just that it is very accurate.

Of course I, like anyone else, have been wrong before. And will likely be wrong plenty more times in this life. So I could easily have some misconceptions here.

I am genuinely curious about the air reserve and the barrel. It would stand to reason that pressure changes would affect harmonics and accuracy. But I sincerely do not believe they would implement the system or design it in a way that this would occur. Very cool innovations and tech. I do like to see that continuation of evolution. And it seems FX has had good success doing exactly that. I hope they can continue to do so for everyone's sake. And I hope QC follows that trend. I do like a lot of their products. It just really bites when you're not quite getting what you pay for. I also acknowledge the confirmation bias here too. See a number of issues cropping up here and there. But no clue what percentage of sold units that actually is. But I will add I have had quality issues with FX as well. Of course dealing with FX USA. No clue what the issue was on their end. But I do hope things improve. They very well may be improving already. In any case, it is tough sometimes to balance optimist with realism.

Reactions: Normkel and qball
Bottle is cf wrapped aluminum. We know they expand and contract. I fit the band when the tank is around 220bar, (generally fill to 230bar max) and don't wrench it down very much at all because I am aware of this. Whatever deformation if any is occurring inside the bottle I doubt is enough to induce any substantial weak points. Now if someone were to wrench it down tight at lower pressure then proceed to fill it, the band could potentially be exerting a LOT of force on the bottle. Which could be concerning.

So essentially, the band was keeping a portion of the bottle from expanding because of how it was fit.

Would be interesting to see something like this tested to failure if it is possible.

That said, all of the other concerns I've ever heard were about the forces exerted on the receiver, bottle neck, or adaptor.
So they have a beer can underneath the CF?

Screenshot_20240208_221604_Google.jpg

It expands and contracts with pressure changes. The whole thing does. And is designed to. I'm no engineer, but that's how it functions.

• Love
Reactions: Normkel and L.Leon
I get that part, it's just hard to imagine the clamp bending the tube for the amount of pressure they can take. Maybe the wrong size clamp was used?
No noise right clamp. I don’t know if it was over a period of time or what no way to tell but it had above reg pressure when installed and I don’t know exactly what pressure

I get that part, it's just hard to imagine the clamp bending the tube for the amount of pressure they can take. Maybe the wrong size clamp was used?
No, the clamp if clamped hard enough would induce exponential amounts of force as the cylinder expands outward under more pressure. So even if installed at relatively normal clamping force at lower pressure, once the bottle is filled more, the clmaping force would go up drastically because the cylinder would normally no longer be as small as it was initially.

Reactions: Normkel
No, the clamp if clamped hard enough would induce exponential amounts of force as the cylinder expands outward under more pressure. So even if installed at relatively normal clamping force at lower pressure, once the bottle is filled more, the clmaping force would go up drastically because the cylinder would normally no longer be as small as it was initially.
It would be interesting to measure the od with a caliber and the different fill pressures. I'm sure a hot fill will cause it to expand more. Maybe the 300bar tank is less prone to this?