FX Is the FX King a step forward or backward?

After considering the FX King it is my opinion that it is a step backward from the Crown in several respects. Is it really necessary to have both manometers angled on what is supposed to be a traditional stock rifle? It has three negative points against it for me. I'm left handed and the manometers are on the opposite side. They make the King wider taking up extra space in a gun safe. It's like a 400 lb. passenger in the middle seat on an airplane. The edges of the gauges are a hazard for scratching wood stocks standing next to it in a safe. A tactical design FX Impact or Panthera with an angled manometer doesn't look as strange as a wood stocked King with two manometers sticking out of the side. It makes the King look "Rube Goldberg-ish". The King stock has a truncated fore end which is less attractive than a Crown stock with a proportional length fore end.

Sometimes manufacturers go too far off the deep end trying to be unique and ground breaking with new designs. My guess is the Kalibrgun Argus with its square barrel shroud hasn't sold well with it's quirky shape. The FX King might appeal to some but it's hermaphrodite looking and a step backwards from the Crown it evolved from. King lovers, sorry to tell you that your baby is ugly.

Last edited:
There should be a delete plate made for those stupid gauges. Same on the panthera. If you have your regulator set and you know after xx shots you need to refill, then you don't need gauges. This would slim the rifle down quite a bit, and make it look better as well.

The king is capable of generating much more power than the Crown. That is the major difference

Especially considering the added power is unwanted for me, there are a lot of detracting factors with this gun. The Crown is already a wide gun.

I think there were a number of things done with the crown that make it very hard to improve on. Sure, you can improve power. Looks, ergonomics, balance, light weight, accuracy? Not to mention, the design is relatively simple, and it is easy to work on. And then add to it that FX QC is down from where it used to be....

And I do much prefer the old stocks.

DSCF6077_edited.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's a mostly irrational fear. My gun at least is very well and very sturdily built. I cannot see a few lbs of pressure on a system designed to withstand thousands of lbs making enough difference to break the gun. I use one on another bottle rifle as well. Sometimes use it to attach a bipod. I don't see any reason not to do it like this. Better than mounting to the stock for a few reasons in my opinion. Can see I also have a metal plate for the rear stud so I did not have to drill or tap the stock there either.

Keith from Whiskey68 dumped his Panthera and went to the King due to multiple leak issues with the Panthera.

That doesn’t really make much sense. Both guns are the Dynamic block with the same parts. Was his Panthera a Lemon?

I had a bottle clamp on a gun then had an opportunity to remove the bottle and valve and you could see right where the clamp was inside the bottle it bent the aluminum
Bottle is cf wrapped aluminum. We know they expand and contract. I fit the band when the tank is around 220bar, (generally fill to 230bar max) and don't wrench it down very much at all because I am aware of this. Whatever deformation if any is occurring inside the bottle I doubt is enough to induce any substantial weak points. Now if someone were to wrench it down tight at lower pressure then proceed to fill it, the band could potentially be exerting a LOT of force on the bottle. Which could be concerning.

So essentially, the band was keeping a portion of the bottle from expanding because of how it was fit.

Would be interesting to see something like this tested to failure if it is possible.

That said, all of the other concerns I've ever heard were about the forces exerted on the receiver, bottle neck, or adaptor.

Reactions: ChRiSiS