• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is the FX impact mk2 worth it ?

It seems that people who buy Impacts are compelled to tinker with them and increase the power. Quite often, that leads to all kinds of other problems. We are not all Ernest Rowe types that can take these apart in the dark and put them back together again. Impacts shoot quite well as they come from the factory. If you are satisfied with the power level as it comes, leave it alone and go hunting or target shooting. Just because you own an Impact doesn't mean you have to perform brain surgery on it.

Thats my original idea and what Im intended to do

Here in Chile there isnt much supply of slugs so I will be shooting mostly the jsb 18.13 which I belive to be the pellet that work best out of the box for the impact, so very little tunning needed. Only when those hybrid slugs arrive to Chile I might feel the need of tunning the gun for those (if price is reasonable, which might not)

I believe that FX tunes their 22 caliber rifles using 15.9 gr pellets. That's what my Dreamline was set for. Their 25 caliber rifles are tuned for 25 gr pellets.

I would look for a used MK1 rifle. I've seen them for sale for around $1100 USD. Or, for the price of a new MK2, you can get two Dreamlines. Think about that.

is it really necessary to have more power for those light slugs ?

I wont be doing that kind of work and the gun I rather have my warranty just in case

No it's not necessary but it does give you a choice of more power or a large increase in shot count since you'll make the same velocity with around 30bar less pressure. It makes the gun more efficient with a greater range of tuning. 

It seems that people who buy Impacts are compelled to tinker with them and increase the power. Quite often, that leads to all kinds of other problems. We are not all Ernest Rowe types that can take these apart in the dark and put them back together again. Impacts shoot quite well as they come from the factory. If you are satisfied with the power level as it comes, leave it alone and go hunting or target shooting. Just because you own an Impact doesn't mean you have to perform brain surgery on it.

What kind of problems does it lead to? The mods work two ways, efficiency is greatly increased so you can tune for more power or a much higher shot count.

I think many people choose the impact for it's versatility and aftermarket support. Some people enjoy plain and average but some like it hot. Options are a good thing.

Gapa,

Good question , I read all the reply's ,

I think I am going to wait until the new improved Mark III Impact comes to market, May even wait for the new improved Mark IIII comes out in a couple of years,

I am still seeing lots of complaints on the Impact , I no nothing about the warranty if it covers 100% , But I sure would not void it for any reason....

But it sounds like your good with your hands and working on stuff, I am all thumbs myself,

Go for it,

Mike

As Heavy is always saying, they are not hard to work on. Maybe a little intimidating at first but definitely not hard at all. There is so much after market support, schematics, videos, Ernest's videos, articles and people with all the knowledge necessary to help with any problem you might have. Sure there are some people that mess them up because they tinker but resolving the problem is usually pretty easy. As far as hearing complaints about the Impact, it's the most popular high end gun out there by far and there are so many in service that there are going to be problems. We hear about problems a lot more than we hear about the ones that are working as they should. I had a defective Impact that was finally replaced, it was a total bummer. However, I've had great interaction with customer service at FX and they have treated me very well and always in a timely fashion. They are busy but I've never had them just ignore me like other people have said. As far as voiding the warranty...FX actually encourages working on and learning the gun. Only if you modify internal parts does the warranty become void. There is not a gun out there like the Impact...it's super powerful, very accurate, adjustable, tunable, has a huge magazine capacity, and a plethora of aftermarket parts. The Dreamline is an option for a lot less money but it's not even close to the same gun and with a bottle, it's still $1500. If you want an Impact buy one! If you're worried about the cost, buy an Impact X and upgrade the power tune parts if and when you feel it necessary. You've already got the velocity planned out that you think you'll need for shooting the FX slugs, it may not even be necessary. Maybe those slugs will shoot great at a lower velocity or maybe because they are so light, the gun you want can shoot them that fast without modification. There are Impact lovers and haters, I love mine and so do most of the people that have them, there really is nothing like it. Good luck with your decision.

Stoti

Thats my original idea and what Im intended to do

Here in Chile there isnt much supply of slugs so I will be shooting mostly the jsb 18.13 which I belive to be the pellet that work best out of the box for the impact, so very little tunning needed. Only when those hybrid slugs arrive to Chile I might feel the need of tunning the gun for those (if price is reasonable, which might not)

I believe that FX tunes their 22 caliber rifles using 15.9 gr pellets. That's what my Dreamline was set for. Their 25 caliber rifles are tuned for 25 gr pellets.

I would look for a used MK1 rifle. I've seen them for sale for around $1100 USD. Or, for the price of a new MK2, you can get two Dreamlines. Think about that.

I will research on that ...

Thats a good idea, but here in a chile the second hand market is not that big and you can find mk1 impacts for almost usd 2000 and I’m not sure why I could want 2 Dreamlines 🤔. But something to think about ...

is it really necessary to have more power for those light slugs ?

I wont be doing that kind of work and the gun I rather have my warranty just in case

No it's not necessary but it does give you a choice of more power or a large increase in shot count since you'll make the same velocity with around 30bar less pressure. It makes the gun more efficient with a greater range of tuning.

The larger shot count could be something that I’m interested in. I will put this in the pros for the mk2 

Gapa,

Good question , I read all the reply's ,

I think I am going to wait until the new improved Mark III Impact comes to market, May even wait for the new improved Mark IIII comes out in a couple of years,

I am still seeing lots of complaints on the Impact , I no nothing about the warranty if it covers 100% , But I sure would not void it for any reason....

But it sounds like your good with your hands and working on stuff, I am all thumbs myself,

Go for it,

Mike

Yes it’s something I have been wondering about for some time now so who better to clear the air about it than the agn community

thats way to much time to wait for my self, I’m not that patient lol 

yes, the complain is the main reason why I’m not an impact owner right now. I hope that FX fix this, but also I have hear that most of the problem came from people who tinker the gun, so I don’t know what to think about it 

im not that good with my hands, but I’m kind of a nerd about this think, I have seen pretty much all the videos on YouTube and read all the topics on this forum and more, so I’m confident that I could work with the gun (not without problems of course lol).

As Heavy is always saying, they are not hard to work on. Maybe a little intimidating at first but definitely not hard at all. There is so much after market support, schematics, videos, Ernest's videos, articles and people with all the knowledge necessary to help with any problem you might have. Sure there are some people that mess them up because they tinker but resolving the problem is usually pretty easy. As far as hearing complaints about the Impact, it's the most popular high end gun out there by far and there are so many in service that there are going to be problems. We hear about problems a lot more than we hear about the ones that are working as they should. I had a defective Impact that was finally replaced, it was a total bummer. However, I've had great interaction with customer service at FX and they have treated me very well and always in a timely fashion. They are busy but I've never had them just ignore me like other people have said. As far as voiding the warranty...FX actually encourages working on and learning the gun. Only if you modify internal parts does the warranty become void. There is not a gun out there like the Impact...it's super powerful, very accurate, adjustable, tunable, has a huge magazine capacity, and a plethora of aftermarket parts. The Dreamline is an option for a lot less money but it's not even close to the same gun and with a bottle, it's still $1500. If you want an Impact buy one! If you're worried about the cost, buy an Impact X and upgrade the power tune parts if and when you feel it necessary. You've already got the velocity planned out that you think you'll need for shooting the FX slugs, it may not even be necessary. Maybe those slugs will shoot great at a lower velocity or maybe because they are so light, the gun you want can shoot them that fast without modification. There are Impact lovers and haters, I love mine and so do most of the people that have them, there really is nothing like it. Good luck with your decision.

Stoti

I think exactly the same about the gun, my problem it’s that my self been in Chile I don’t know how good could it be the costumer service, and I know there isn’t any aftermarket parts here so that kind of tunning is not possible or if it’s is very expensive so my gun will be a stock gun with nothing fancy that could void my warranty

originally I was considering the Dreamline tactical bottle but I have the feeling that I will always have the felling that I could go for the impact and I didn’t if I buy the dreamline... But it’s way too much money to buy something that I could mess completely if done something wrong

maybe I will buy the impact and leave it as it is or send it to a tunning service and just shoot the damn thing lol

thanks for the time taken to answer to my question guys ! 

Hi guys, here from Chile again...

Im finding my self in a difficult question regarding my next air rifle: is the FX Impact MK2 worth the price difference in comparison to the FX Impact X ?? Here in chile about US500 when buying new and over US800 buying the impact x used

I would like to buy an FX Impact for hunting and target shooting up to 150yds in .22 with a 600mm barrel, possible using some light slugs, like the new Fx Hybrid slugs for long range shooting and the JSB 18.13 for close range hunting, so i hesitate about the 25% bigger plenum on the mk2 when i see the difference in the price tag, because I dont know if for my needs the X will be enough... so I came to you in order to get some thoughts from people who owns or know about them more than my self to help me figure it out about whether I should spend US2750 in the mk2 or just save some money and go for the Impact X. I also know that the mk2 has a bigger mag and better gauges too, but that is not too important for me. 

Also I would like to know whether the side shot mags would fit the Impact X (I might prefer to buy them seperately so I save some money if possible)

I will be grateful for your insight...

Thanks,

If that was my choice I would buy MK2. New always better.

I have had both the impact x and the mk2 and the dreamline, and i would go with the mk2 every day in the week. It just feels better more smooth more power but again its all about what you want to use it for.

for backyard plinking a impact mk1/x is proberly fine but if you want too shot long range or compatition the mk2 is just that bit better then the old models.

the dreamline is a great litle gun but its not in the same league.

is the impact really that expencive compaird with other guns in its class like the daystate redwolf witch cost about 2500$ 

the airgun world moves so quickly so if you are serious about airguns don`t buy a impact mk1 or X buy a mk2 instead of spending your money upgrading the mk1/X spend your money on some upgrade parts for the mk2 like a good bipod or a barrel in different caliber.

Thats just my thought

@gapa16

For the difference in cost I would recommend the MKII and suggest that you consider getting the 700 mm barrel - especially if you will be trying to shoot the FX hybrid slugs at higher speeds.

Don't think you will be able to get 980 fps without doing some modifications. Doing the TP (transfer port) mod and the pellet probe mod gets a good fps gain for minimum effort (I am planning to do that when my Impact arrives) but I don't know if it will get you to 980 fps with the hybrids. The guys on the Air Hunters YouTube channel are getting very high performance with their Impacts but they use a lot of aftermarket parts.

My thinking is that the Impact MKII puts out plenty of power straight out of the box. Yes, you can get more power but tinkering with the design but the extra stress may cause early failure of internal parts. For me, I would rather avoid that.

Hank

I have had both the impact x and the mk2 and the dreamline, and i would go with the mk2 every day in the week. It just feels better more smooth more power but again its all about what you want to use it for.

for backyard plinking a impact mk1/x is proberly fine but if you want too shot long range or compatition the mk2 is just that bit better then the old models.

is the impact really that expencive compaird with other guns in its class like the daystate redwolf witch cost about 2500$ 

the airgun world moves so quickly so if you are serious about airguns don`t buy a impact mk1 or X buy a mk2 instead of spending your money upgrading the mk1/X spend your money on some upgrade parts for the mk2 like a good bipod or a barrel in different caliber.

Thats just my thought

The only difference between MKI (X) and MKII is a 5cc larger plenum and and integrated valve seat on some of the newer ones. Other than that they are the same gun with all parts being interchangeable.

A MKI with $160 in upgrades outperforms a MKII with ease but the same mods work for either version with both versions having identical performance after modding.

In my opinion a used MKI is the best value if you can buy it at least $400 under the price of a new MKII.

@

Forum member edosan lives in Chile and modifies Impacts.

Another difference is the regulator size and higher pressure capable on the MKll.

I believe the gen 3 impact x had the same amp regulator. Above 150 bar you need to add hammer weight with any version.

Edit: Confirmed same reg from FX pdf for each model

1575776737_10646895645dec71e1801000.99798136_MKI reg - Copy.jpg
1575776737_8104747725dec71e19c3af6.03213527_MKII reg - Copy.jpg

Thats just my thought

I might want to do some long range shooting (max 150 yds), and i know that for that the mk2 is better, but im wondering if the impact X is sufficient ? Competition is not something i do right onw, but with an impact it might be something i would want to do in the future...

Here in Chile the Impact mk2 .22 with the 600mm and a Donnyfl supressor cost: 2.150.000 CLP = USD 2800 ; the impact X without the Donnyfl supressor cost: 1.800.000 CLP = 2300 USD and the Daystate Red wolf safari in .22 cost: 2.660.000 CLP = 3500 USD ... so yes the impact is cheaper than daystate but still a lot of money.

@gapa16

For the difference in cost I would recommend the MKII and suggest that you consider getting the 700 mm barrel - especially if you will be trying to shoot the FX hybrid slugs at higher speeds.

Don't think you will be able to get 980 fps without doing some modifications. Doing the TP (transfer port) mod and the pellet probe mod gets a good fps gain for minimum effort (I am planning to do that when my Impact arrives) but I don't know if it will get you to 980 fps with the hybrids. The guys on the Air Hunters YouTube channel are getting very high performance with their Impacts but they use a lot of aftermarket parts.

My thinking is that the Impact MKII puts out plenty of power straight out of the box. Yes, you can get more power but tinkering with the design but the extra stress may cause early failure of internal parts. For me, I would rather avoid that.

Hank

I dont have the after market pieces to do that kind of mods here in Chile, I was thinking to get there (980 fps) only by increasing reg pressure to 130-150 with hammer spring to max (and harmony tunning) and see where that leaves me, if i cant get those high speeds with the stock Impact X or mk2 I will keep using the pellets only. I dont want to void my warranty on a 2800 usd air gun... I might consider to get the 700mm barrel to get the extra power but is not something i want because i do a lot of walking in a hunt and the extra weight is not something I want