Is the beeman r9 /hw95 an all around springer?

I've owned 9 different R-9/HW95's in the last 18 years in every caliber and never once had a single problem getting one to shoot accurately. The .177cals were the least picky in my experience. The .20cal were pretty consistent, but the .22cals do vary. I've never had a problem getting a 22cal to shoot accurately, but they don't always like the same pellets. The only pellet that seemed consistent in all 22cal barrels was the H&N FTS 5.53

Hello friends of AGN.
As my post says, is the r9/hw95 an all around rifle?
If for you the answer is yes, in what caliber?

I want to buy one capable of dispatching pigeons, rabbits, quail and squirrels, and occasional field or silhouette target shooting.
I accept suggestions.

Thanks friends.
They definitely are a good all around gun, I have a r9 177 and hw95 22. Both are very capable pesters and well balanced platforms. You will be happy with either caliber.

Shot my .22 HW 95 tonight. Kim shot her .22 HW50. She was shooting well and proposed a contest. Hit and reset squirrel twice. Hit all the spinners. Still a tie. Shoot the numeral “8” on Shoot n C target for the tiebreaker. She missed just left. I didn’t. HW95 Is the clear winner ha ha ha. I love this gun, my favorite. Smooth, accurate, more than enough power. Actually easier to cock and smoother shot cycle than her HW50, I assume because of the size difference. It’s a fair-sized chunk of wood and metal, but so well-balanced it doesn’t feel heavy. And being able to shoot with your SO makes it even better.

I read that you bought the 97 but I wanted to show my three 95/R9s off. I'll throw in a picture of my 97 too 😎

81360B32-B9A2-4FB0-9F26-8DD1E4555D63.jpeg

D24B5979-5BFE-445E-BAA5-7247D104A91B.jpeg

I bought a new 96 black line and an HW50s this year. The screws almost immediately came out of the 50, but so far not the 97 after a couple hundred pellet. I'm guessing it has to do with who tightened them in the factory.
It's more likely that your 97 black line is a synthetic stock. Your Hw50 is a wood stock. Wood is more compressible and changes with humidity and temperature. It's the swelling, contraction and pressure compressing that changes the pressure on the screw heads and allows them to vibrate loose. Good synthetic stocks are more dimensionally stable so the screws stay put longer. The 97 synthetic is a good stock.

A dab of 262 red locktite on the the first five threads of a cleaned and dried screw will stay put on an Weihrauch. Make sure you clean the receiving threads as well. Not much adheres to an oily surface.

20220306_154053.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Betohunter
It's more likely that you 97 black line is a synthetic stock. Your Hw50 is a wood stock. Wood is more compressible and changes with humidity and temperature. It's the swelling, contraction and pressure compressing that changes the pressure on the screw heads and allows them to vibrate loose. Good synthetic stocks are more dimensionally stable so the screws stay put longer. The 97 synthetic is a good stock.

A dab of 262 red locktite on the the first five threads of a cleaned and dried screw will stay put on an Weihrauch. Make sure you clean the receiving threads as well. Not much adheres to an oily surface.

View attachment 282398
You're quick. I corrected that typo immediately or so I thought 🤔. Anyway he has a black line also

It's more likely that you 97 black line is a synthetic stock. Your Hw50 is a wood stock. Wood is more compressible and changes with humidity and temperature. It's the swelling, contraction and pressure compressing that changes the pressure on the screw heads and allows them to vibrate loose. Good synthetic stocks are more dimensionally stable so the screws stay put longer. The 97 synthetic is a good stock.

View attachment 282398
Maybe with loctite blue is more than enough i think, well the rifle is new still in break in period, with a lubed and a drop of loctite everything ok.

New R9 arrived yesterday from Airgun Depot. Got the 0.177 cal and just put about a dozen shots into my duct seal pellet trap on my basement range. Solid beautiful rifle. Learned that you can't "baby" it when breaking and closing the barrel, needs some authoritah! Came with a bunch of front site inserts for more traditional target work.

The best break barrel airgun I've ever shot. Best trigger of ANY airgun that I've shot to this point. Some initial chrony data:

8.5 gr H&n FTT 860fps
7.0gr Crosman Walmart pellets 940fps
5.71gr H&N FTT green... CuhhhRACK! 1,150fps (First supersonic air gun/pellet combo as well...).

Serious target work to follow, ZERO regrets spending the extra on it.

Hello friends of AGN.
As my post says, is the r9/hw95 an all around rifle?
If for you the answer is yes, in what caliber?

I want to buy one capable of dispatching pigeons, rabbits, quail and squirrels, and occasional field or silhouette target shooting.
I accept suggestions.

Thanks friends.
I'd love to have either one of those.

i didn't care for mine. felt rather tiny compared to what i'm used to. traded for a Diana within a couple months.

besides, with only 25Y in my backyard, plenty of cheaper airguns that does about as well in my hands.

don't really need to spend $500 when <$150 does the job.
waltherparrusmay2021checkup002.jpg
(old pic, but i stopped making as many braggin' pics a while now. ;) )

I finally got my HW95 shooting decent. It started as a .22 but would spray 5" groups at 20 yards with about every pellet. I even got it tuned by motorhead and it continued to behave that way.
Last week I put a .177 barrel on it, and immediately went and shot 3 nice groups of about half an inch at 25 yards. Looking forward to getting it broken in now!
Mmm then the problem was the barrel not the rifle