• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is shooting lead pellets safe for the enviornment?

If you owned a public range or a military range where thousands of shots happen every day all year round it could be different.
studies have shown that lead pellets (especially from a .177) are far more destructive to the environment than mortars or any heavy artillery fire.
dove feet collected after the blast have been tested and show no signs of lead. they tried to do a controlled study, but no one made it.
they did however find that condors picking at the remains had elevated lead levels and a slight glow to them and determined someone must have been hunting.

in all seriousness to the OP, I think you're ok. animals are not as dumb as we like to think, and they know what can or cannot be eaten. have fun and don't chew on any pellets.

^ That comes as no surprise. What is sad is that honest debate is impossible when you're dealing with people (the left) that don't hold truth as a value. They just make up new lies when you show them they're wrong.

A range in So-Cal was shut down for six months when someone lodged a protest that a particular frog was being impacted by storm run-off. Until someone noticed that the frog in question was not native to that area. Turned out that someone in the Clinton admin wanted all ranges shut down and that was the means to do it.

J~

Reactions: ccarson2
And in FOX News this morning.

One would think we have bigger issues at hand to address, obviously hunters are crashing our economy and ruining the earth in epic proportion all at the same time! :rolleyes:

I'm more about sensibly(not irrational/non-scientific tree hugger) protecting our environment than probably most people but this is plain distraction to historical failure of Biden's administration's policies on economy!

Last edited:
Everything under the sun is “bad” for the environment these days. It’s a miracle the planet survived before all these enviro-psychos showed up to save us from ourselves. Just go shoot your gun and have fun.
DITTO....what we need is the government to outlaw all lead bullets, slugs, and pellets. You know...because lead is bad and it's their job to save us from ourselves, because we are to ignorant to do it. Then put HUGE fines on those who are caught with anything lead. Similar to carbon footprints...the bigger yours is the more you pay.

I reviewed the paper linked by FIDI_G. Thanks for linking it. I only examined a few of the references in the paper but read the whole paper. I think it is a good example of the material being used to try and ban lead ammunition. I would agree with FIDI_G's assessment, it raises significant concerns. In my judgement, that is exactly what is is designed to do. The references embeded in the paper don't give me the same message as the paper ascribes to them in all cases. For instance one paper looked at blood lead levels of police officers and instructors before and after they shot at indoor and outdoor ranges. Their blood lead level went up, especially the instructors on the indoor range. They spent the most time at the range. But they also measured the airborne dust levels at the indoor range and it exceeded the OSHA limit. So my take on that paper is it demonstrates if you shoot at a range that doesn't appropriately managed the lead dust you may get elevated levels of lead in your blood. The paper suggests that the paper they reference demonstrates risk of lead to people who shoot guns. That is kind of true but distorted in my view. The last indoor range I visited has a continuous flow of water over the backstop to minimize any lead dust in the air. I doubt shooting there did much of anything to my lead level.

A more applicable paper they referenced looked at levels of lead in deer and sheep shot with a 308 and shotguns with slugs. They used bullets in the 308 that were simple lead filled jacket design and solid copper design. In the shotgun they used foster slugs which are just chunks of lead and sabots of pistol bullets that are lead filled jacket construction. No unsurprisingly the bullets without lead did not put lead in the meat. But more of interest to airgunners, the shotguns and muzzle loaders (forgot them) did not put nearly as much lead in the carcase as the center fire rifle - the 308. The lead was also more localized by the lower velocity shotguns and muzzle loaders with it almost totally within a couple inches of the holes the projectile made. I think that compares better to what we do with pellets, particularly non expanding ones. Any contamination could be avoided pretty effectively by avoiding the blood shot meat around the hole(s). The authors seemed more interested in pushing for solid copper bullets, however. They did not make the somewhat obvious observation based upon their data that the contamination was quite localized - until the meat was rinsed. Rinsing the mead with the blood shot meat still present seemed to spread the lead somewhat in the carcase. But the level of lead in the carcase was much lower for the lower velocity guns - which still were around 1500 fps so higher velocity than airguns.

Groups with lead concerns have successfully used similar data and observations to eliminate lead in automobile fuel and in house paint. It is also not used in plumbing solder now either. So to see them go after lead in ammunition shouldn't be surprising. Misusing or twisting data to support their conclusions - or the most draconian measures to be taken - is unfortunately also not surprising. They've apparently already convinced some states not to use donated game meat to help feed homeless people.
The original concern was shot lead pellets in the ground ECT... being a issue. Those shooting indoors without the propper air scrubbers and ventilation get lead in their blood from the smoke from the primers in their pistol rounds. It has nothing to do with ingesting lead pellets or eating lead paint.

I live on a flood plane and as such the woods in my back yard has a ton of wild life. Is it dangerous to the environment if I'm constantly shooting lead pellets into the ground where all the animals are foraging? Over the years I have unloaded a bunch of tins. Whats the scoop?
Really? Is driving your car everyday safe for the environment? Is me throwing my beer cans out the window when I’m driving safe for the environment? 😀😀😀