Is PA evil for feeding my addiction?

For the last 6 months, I've been watching Air Venturi Avengers. I want a dedicated slug gun, but don't have the cash for an Impact to dedicate to slugs (sorry FX, just don't have an extra $2 Grand right now!) so thought about a challenge of building the cheapest, decent quality slug gun possible.

So, last October, off to the PA website to look at the Avengers. $350, so I decided to look for the refurb's, running $270 at the time. Christmas was coming, so I didn't buy, but kept watching.

Just before Christmas, the new Avengers went on sale for $300, a great price, but Christmas was coming and just didn't have the $$

Then, refurbs dried up completely. Kept watching.

New Avengers went on sale again last week. $300, so I checked for refurbs and they were back in stock, but price had gone up to $296, so I'd save a whole $4 by purchasing a refurb. I was kinda ticked but kept checking back.

Last night, I got on and checked prices again (Yes, I'm OCD about this stuff). This is where PA seems completely evil!

Refurbs are $199. So I quickly put one in my cart and went to the Checkout. I have the Capital One ENO app running in my browser and it found 5 coupon codes to try, and one was good for another 10% off. Sorry, I don't even know what code.

It was over $150, so free 4 day ground shipping. I could have also paid $16 for 4 day ground shipping. Their site is a little weird on the shipping, be careful.

In other words, for $180 plus about $14 in Sales Tax, I have a refurbished Avenger on its way early next week.

I'd decided to save my money but PA just FORCED IT OUT OF ME! The deal was too good to pass up.

Air Venturi Avenger for Sale | Pyramyd Air

I have a scope ready to mount. Total cost for dedicated slug gun, $194 shipped and in my hands! I'll keep you posted.

I am an addict. First step, admit a problem . . . . . . . . . . .I am an addict. First step, admit a problem . . . . . . . . . . .I am an addict. First step, admit a problem . . . . . . . . . . .

D'Oh!

PABB.1644073633.jpg

I don't know whether PA 'adjusts' prices right before they run specials, but a few weeks back they were having a 20% off sale on all refurbs, and additional discount coupons still worked.

I ordered an AA S500 at a price 'too good to pass up.' Unfortunately it wasn't packaged all that well and it was damaged in transit (barrel had been pushed to about the 2:00 position at the muzzle, as compared to the air cylinder). And besides that, it was also an S510 which was in the box. Unfortunately it had to go back. Fortunately PA has a very strong return policy.

At that price you will have zero fear of modifications and zero remorse if things don’t work out. Win win, and now you have something constructive to do for a while and a bunch of slugs to buy. Good luck.

Initial plan is to degass, remove and lap the barrel before I even start tuning. At that point, warranty is gone, so this will be a perfect gun for a project! Might be several months before I have much time to get to it, but that's the plan. It'll be a dedicated slug gun for now. If I get tired of shooting slugs, I'll convert it to something else. It's got the power to shoot slugs, so that's the initial goal.

You asked if "PA is evil for feeding my addiction?"

The answer is a 3-letter word.

That's concerning my addiction.

About your addiction — I'm not sure..... I mean, you successfully redefined it, and proceeded with equal finesse to refute any accusation of a psychological disorder, so...., I guess you're fine for now. 

Till your wife sees the credit card statement (or your bullseye bucks).

LOL,

Matthias

JungleShooter - Till your wife sees the credit card statement (or your bullseye bucks).

I broke it to her last night. Luckily, I have a paypal account just for my purchases. Since I saved my lunch money for the gun, no harm no foul.

She still looked at me and just said, I don't understand! Sadly, she never will but that's OK, she is patient with my hobbies. It keeps me sane at times.