• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is Open class suffering a slow death?

Seems to me like many people are focusing on the wrong issue, namely which class is the best and will attract the most shooters. But that’s missing the bigger picture… the lack of participation is due to changing cultural norms and our inability to attract newer and youth shooters.

When I was a kid there were three primary channels by which I picked up an activity. First and foremost an activity was passed down from parent(s). Second, it was picked up from friends or school. Third, it was copied from television. Since FT is a shooting sport options 2 and 3 have effectively been shut down and option 1 is not enough to maintain the sport's momentum.

In today’s digitally saturated world applying the “if we build it, they will come” approach is simply not enough because there are too many activities that are competing for people’s attention. That said, these obstacles can be over come and we don’t have to look far to find a solution. Over the last decade we’ve seen an explosion of interest in air guns - why is that?

The answer lies in social media, YouTube, to be specific. A number of high quality channels appeared that got people interested and led to growing interest, sales and innovation.

Let’s ask ourselves, how are new shooters supposed to discover the fun and excitement of FT if there is a lack of promotion on the main medium people use for socialization? Field Target needs promotion, not just rule changes. I’m confident that if there were more guys filming Field Target events and spreading the word there would be more participants across all classes regardless of rules.

-Marty

Nobody is ever complaining in wftf. We are all happy to shoot amongst ourselves.
And you usually do. Let's face it, most FT matches that I've attended have anywhere from 12 to 20 shooters. Divide that small number in 4 different classes and what do you get? Sometimes only 1 person is shooting in his class maybe two or three. One advantage is that you can go home and brag to you wife that you won your class!!!

...I think just a sling and a pad has more realism to hunting than Hunter class.... I personally don’t like sticks and buckets...
... I think there should be a Purist class where only slings are allowed, no sticks, no harness, no jackets or gloves,16x max, no scope dialing besides parallax and any position allowed....
You can already shoot FT as a "Purist" if that's what you want to call it, we don't need a class for it. That's how I mostly shoot FT, though I don't use a sling either.

I shoot the same way in Open, but often (not always), I'll turn my scope up to 24x.

At the biggest WFTF match ever (2019 World match in England), I tuned my 20fpe gun down to 12fpe, and shot the same way as I do in Hunter or Open. I finished mid pack, but enjoyed the experience.

I think one Division that does not restrict items allowed in other classes could be the best avenue for keeping the most competitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franklink
This year I have competed in 3 divisions. The class I usually shoot in for the last few years is Open class and I avg about a 55/60 score. I've shot 2 matches at Hunter class and shot a 52 and 53/60...had really bad positionals lanes because I wasn't use to using such a light rifle (8-9lbs). And I have shot 4 matches WFTF scoring 42,45,50,54/60. So I do have a very good perspective on how difficult it is to shoot each category.

Without a doubt Hunter class is the easiest way to shoot Field Target physically and if your just getting into the sport. Shooting off of sticks is very steady for me but of course ranging gets a little tricky between 45-55yds.

Open class to me is more like traditional Field Target sitting on a bum bag but the harness with practice gives you very good stability and the unlimited magnification makes ranging very accurate in most cases. Adding a butthook to a gun does nothing for me....I shoot the same scores with or without one. A jacket adds stability on offhand shots no doubt.

WFTF Im just getting my feet wet this year and without a doubt is the most difficult...physically and even mentally. This past Sunday I shot my best WFTF match to date with a 54/60 and I really had to be focused to do that. It's at a different level with shot discipline when your not nearly as steady as Hunter and Open class. I have really grown to respect WFTF shooters after seeing how difficult it is and the commitment it takes to doing well in that division.

I really don't think any changes need to be made in Field Target. Some local guys are shooting Unlimited using a bipod on there kneeling and standing shots with unlimited magnification...to me where is the challenge here? It's the knock down a bunch of targets division. Hunter division is great for beginners and older shooters using a seat and bipod...that's a pretty convienant way of shooting. OPEN division is a step toward WFTF using the same equipment plus the harness. And WFTF is for those hard core or more dedicated FT shooters.

Again I've competed in all 3 divisions this year...if you want to do well there's no secret sauce or magic gun ... Lots and lots of trigger time with your equipment and shooting alot of matches will get you there. It's definately more physical and takes more discipline to shoot WFTF and most people in the US don't want that challange....even the people that are healthy and in good shape. Very blessed to live in OHIO with 5 FT clubs and and few clubs in neighboring states...with the OHIO Buckeye Series promoting shooting different divisions I have competed in these 3 PCP divisions this year and will shoot over 30 matches by years end.

Easier will always be more popular….no matter what hobby or sport we are talking about.
Thank you Mike ;)
And with that you get GROWTH and more in the game, find new leaders, shakers and movers to progress the sport.

We're on an Air Gun forum and subject is Field target ... ( Open class the OP's question )

Open class being similar to WFTF are in Air gun Equipment terms ... Pretty Exotic in guns and gear. Lets not get into "You Can do it with this Low dollar gear conversation" doing so is a distraction from whats normal by in large within these mentioned classes.

*Generally we see ( In no specific order ) or a complete list ...
"Air Arms" Piston and Specialty PCP's
Daystate Specialty PCP's
Walther Specialty PCP's
STEYR Specialty PCP's
USFT Specialty PCP's
THOMAS Specialty PCP's
FWB's, Anchutes, RAW & a few others in lessor numbers.

ALL are very pricey air guns and generally NOT A ONE of them or very few are sporter use handy or desirable as such set up for the FT games mentioned.

Think it a fair assessment that for many outside the game looking in ... These rifles used by the majority Stateside and Absolutely abroad are insanely expensive !! Add Exotic butt Hooks, Hamsters, Big optics and the gizmos etc etc .... Most are going to be at or above $2000 with many pushing $6 to 8K fully outfitted.

Yea I can't really see those classes taking off as new shooters enter the game ... Honestly

An excellent summary of this entire discussion.
Interesting commentary all around, but one thing we haven't realized is why airgun shooting, at WFTF standards, is so popular around the world OTHER than the U.S., FIREARMS OWNERSHIP around the world IS SEVERELY RESTRICTED AND 12 FPE IS THE MAX POWER they are ALLOWED.

Per capita, the U.S. has more firearms owners than anywhere else in the world, and they are power hungry! It is no wonder that the airgun sports, that we know and love........and bitch about.....constantly.....is in the shape it is. We KNOW what works. We KNOW what airguns can do. We KNOW how to have fun with it.

I don't think it is really a matter of the fact that Cole asked the question about the dieing open class. In reality, it is the lack of airgun shooting , other than by the few of us, overall. We are a ridiculously small percentage of the overall gun ownership in the country......and they seem to be power hungry. Look at the trend of EFT; more power to get out to 100 yards, more power to push bigger pellets, or (now) slugs! What is the difference between that and the firearms crowd?

Imagine is we (heaven forbid) lose our 2nd amendment rights. You don't think the ranks of airgunners would skyrocket? In all seriousness, we don't need rules chances, we don't need more classes, we DO need a concerted effort to entice more people into shooting airguns......period! What we need to do is to educate more folks into the benefits and accuracy potential of airguns in general. If you look at the price of firearms, they are relatively cheap. That is by design. The ammunition is gawdawful expensive.....again, by design. In contrast, the cost of airguns is not cheap, but the cost to feed them is cheap. It is the buy once / cry once syndrome......and not a one of you guys (and I know quite a few of you personnally), myself included, that own more than one airgun. Some of you have absolutely wonderful collections of them.

No, what we really have to look at is ways to get more folks involved in the shooting sports, using airguns as the catalyst. Our club, Airgunners of Arizona, has done a lot of different things to get folks involved, including helping a few other local clubs get started. it has thinned the ranks of AOA somewhat, but a lot more airgunners are playing the game(s). We just need to do a lot more of that.

IF we get more people shooting the game(s) that we love, and eliminate the politics between the different clubs, we could draw a LOT of folks into the fold. That is best done one-on-one. I don't have all the answers, but have tried, over the years, to get more shooters involved and informed. If each of us replying to this post (thanks Cole, for putting it up there) would bring in one other shooter, we have already doubled our base.

Based on that, we wouldn't even have to ask, "is open class dieing?" What do you say, we get our collective butts in gear and expose more people to airguns?

Nuff said. Go forth and prosper.

Interesting commentary all around, but one thing we haven't realized is why airgun shooting, at WFTF standards, is so popular around the world OTHER than the U.S., FIREARMS OWNERSHIP around the world IS SEVERELY RESTRICTED AND 12 FPE IS THE MAX POWER they are ALLOWED.

Had already stated such in post 99 ... tho likely lost in the passion of the conversation.

We are NOT the rest of the world ... Go Forth and Prosper speaks volumes !!!

Had already stated such in post 99 ... tho likely lost in the passion of the conversation.

We are NOT the rest of the world ... Go Forth and Prosper speaks volumes !!!
Sorry Scott,

The rest of the world seems to excell in airguns because that is all they have. Hence they have gotten really good at it.

Just trying to show the comparison. with over 100 posts, I cannot remember everything that everyone has said, and yeah, I tend to get caught up in the moment. Must be my age showing....LOL

IMHO open class is a bit of an oddball between hunter class and WFTF, not saying good or bad but just appears that way to me. However is is GREAT that there are many classes to suit people’s shooting style.

WFTF is the standard for FT in the world, 12 FPE is the limit most EU country have and that’s how it is developed so that’s that. I find WFTF more challenging and physically demanding, that is the fun part of it. I don’t understand the gripe about 12 FPE and for those who look down upon 12 FPE then try it in the wind. 12 FPE in the wind is my challenge/obsession, if it was easy then everyone will do well but what’s the fun in that? I enjoy beating 20fpe scores with 12 FPE especially in the wind.

For those who do have physical limitations I totally get the hunter class, since I am still physically capable then why not shoot the harder class while I can? In fact WFTF position made me realize just how bad my flexibility was so I started stretching regularly and feel much better in the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: BC
If you want to make Hunter class a little more challenging then remove the range finding aspect. Do it as you would while hunting, wild ass guess. Remove the bipod in favour of a monopod. This will still allow people to use buckets. Here in Canada our rules are somewhat different than yours. We allow 16X scopes but the parallax numbers need to be covered. I can shoot from a stool with a monopod. I still need to be able to shoot the standing and kneeling lanes well to score well, and I don't lol. As an old fat guy I'm unable to get into the positions required by WFTF and I prefer the challenge offered by Hunter vs Open class. I shoot an 18.5fpe Red Wolf but I started with my FWB124D.

Per capita, the U.S. has more firearms owners than anywhere else in the world, and they are power hungry! It is no wonder that the airgun sports, that we know and love........and bitch about.....constantly.....is in the shape it is. We KNOW what works. We KNOW what airguns can do. We KNOW how to have fun with it.

I don't think it is really a matter of the fact that Cole asked the question about the dieing open class. In reality, it is the lack of airgun shooting , other than by the few of us, overall. We are a ridiculously small percentage of the overall gun ownership in the country......and they seem to be power hungry. Look at the trend of EFT; more power to get out to 100 yards, more power to push bigger pellets, or (now) slugs! What is the difference between that and the firearms crowd?

Imagine is we (heaven forbid) lose our 2nd amendment rights. You don't think the ranks of airgunners would skyrocket? In all seriousness, we don't need rules chances, we don't need more classes, we DO need a concerted effort to entice more people into shooting airguns......period! What we need to do is to educate more folks into the benefits and accuracy potential of airguns in general. If you look at the price of firearms, they are relatively cheap. That is by design. The ammunition is gawdawful expensive.....again, by design. In contrast, the cost of airguns is not cheap, but the cost to feed them is cheap. It is the buy once / cry once syndrome......and not a one of you guys (and I know quite a few of you personnally), myself included, that own more than one airgun. Some of you have absolutely wonderful collections of them.

No, what we really have to look at is ways to get more folks involved in the shooting sports, using airguns as the catalyst. Our club, Airgunners of Arizona, has done a lot of different things to get folks involved, including helping a few other local clubs get started. it has thinned the ranks of AOA somewhat, but a lot more airgunners are playing the game(s). We just need to do a lot more of that.

IF we get more people shooting the game(s) that we love, and eliminate the politics between the different clubs, we could draw a LOT of folks into the fold. That is best done one-on-one. I don't have all the answers, but have tried, over the years, to get more shooters involved and informed. If each of us replying to this post (thanks Cole, for putting it up there) would bring in one other shooter, we have already doubled our base.

Based on that, we wouldn't even have to ask, "is open class dieing?" What do you say, we get our collective butts in gear and expose more people to airguns?

Nailed it restrictive air gun rules in Europe and as Tim Allen used to say MORE POWER (Tool Time),the public range by me is less than half full on weekends,the Tuesday night 22 lr pistol league which started in 1926 folded this past winter due to lack of interest same 6 of us ,lots of big gun shooters at this range very few 22 shooters, when I go there with my airgus to shoot 50-100 yds boy do I get some looks when they see the scuba tank. The best part is I can keep 2-3 in groups at 100 yds and they can’t keep an 8in group at 50, been ribbed that with the wind I’ll have a hard time keeping it on the paper when we change targets a lot of them ask how I did and they almost sh@t when they see them ,some will even fold their targets so you don’t see how bad their shooting,then I tell them I shot 500 roundos and only cost about $20

Reactions: mh and MartyMcFly
" Shooting sports have been cast in a poor light thanks to the media and too many young parents would freak at the thought of taking there 10-12 yr old's sons and daughters to a club to learn how to shoot a "Gun" "
This and the phones and tablets the answers i get are "why go out when i can do the "same" thing on my tablet or phone ?" or " paper targets are boring I can shoot monsters or bad guys on my "puter"

This is my first year shooting FT ,I’m in hunter pcp ,first 2 matches sat on ground not a bumbag no sticks ,25 /21 switched to bucket and sticks now low mid 30s ,always planned to move to open once I was shooting better, I would even try adjusting my gun to 12 fpe just to try. I’m not here to shoot against the other shooters I’m shooting against the course and myself, continuos improvement,doing it better each and every time, learning the uphill downhill sidewinds,and saying nice shot to whoever I’m shooting with even if their score is higher, I shot all My life and thought I’d be shooting in the high 40 50 range ,NOT a very humbling experience not the pie plate kill zone on a deer more the eyeball . No matter what they do I’ll adapt to their rules I love this game and plan on doing this for as long as I can. The only rules I don’t like are no restrictive clothing and the 16 x rule, when we hunted Maine in 0 degrees my hunting outfit was pretty restrictive and hunting scopes seemed to Imo have a lot to do with your hunting terrain, 100 yards and under were the norm up there most of had red field wide field 1x4 didn’t need anything more, so scopes should be unlimited, just saying

Reactions: mh
In my neck of the woods, seeing less spring guns being utilized period in any class or division. On the other hand, open seems to be doing just fine -

It seems there is a constant desire to grow the sport, but new shooters come at about the same rate no matter what.
Yes our club after 10 years now is about the same ... and if really looked at hard, we have lost more members than gained in the overall membership.
We just have more of the clubs members at large shooting per month keeping attendance @ equal. 3/4 or @ 75% of our members are shooting Hunter Class which sorta tells that tale quite well.

Reactions: Centercut
This is my first season shooting hunter, and I'm really enjoying it (as long as I stay conscious of blood sugar levels, just ask Mike), but in the minority, only two other regulars shooting hunter/pcp.

Had to read the writing on the scorecard, me getting older wasn't matching up well with WTF springer, was turning into golf lol.

Who knows, at some point, may use Open as an excuse for another Crosman bottle build and a girdle audition.

This is my first season shooting hunter, and I'm really enjoying it (as long as I stay conscious of blood sugar levels, just ask Mike), but in the minority, only two other regulars shooting hunter/pcp.

Had to read the writing on the scorecard, me getting older wasn't matching up well with WTF springer, was turning into golf lol.

Who knows, at some point, may use Open as an excuse for another Crosman bottle build and a girdle audition.

lol, that "girdle" comment is repeated pretty often, and I just don't get it. The shooting harness doesn't wear too different than a backpack, and not a heavy or bulky one at that.

Reactions: beerthief
lol, that "girdle" comment is repeated pretty often, and I just don't get it. The shooting harness doesn't wear too different than a backpack, and not a heavy or bulky one at that.
ok, harness, back pack, knee winch, whatever. Like I said, may try one before it's over, and, just for you, will do my very best to refrain from the use of the term "girdle"