• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Is Open class suffering a slow death?

Just now preparing for my first FT match this coming Sunday, so in no way qualified to make any statement on the trajectory of FT classifications from inception to what we have today.

That won't stop me from speculating about the future 🤪. And I can provide a sample of 1 as to why Hunter is usually chosen by newcomers.

Seriously considered starting with Open. Have always been a turret clicker, so the idea of not having to learn holdovers was appealing. As was the ability to use much higher magnification for ranging, which (along with wind reading) will be the steepest learning curve. Do most of my shooting offhand, so the idea of no bipod/stick support didn't bother me.

In the end decided on Hunter for these reasons, in no particular order:

Aversion to some of the equipment
- The idea of wearing a harness is unappealing to say the least
- Not keen on highly specialized rifle add-ons like hooked buttpads or palm rests (had a Bogpod & suitable hunting stool already on hand, neither of which is specialized to field target nor attached to the rifle. Had to compromise with a scope parallax wheel, just too important).
Not at all a complaint about the use of these things in the appropriate classes, just not appealing to me for reasons even I can't explain.

Lack of competitors
- Looking through the results of matches that get posted here, easy to see that Open is dwindling. Used to shoot a lot of 3d archery, & it was a lot less interesting at the shoots where I was the only one with a longbow.

Physical requirements
- 48 & in decent shape, so this wasn't a consideration for the present, but could see it becoming one eventually. In 5 years or 25 years??? No way to know.

As for the future- seems ALL shooting sports are trending to longer ranges, speed elements, or both. The cynical side of me says this is because it's easier to sell new/more equipment as the ranges & speed requirements become more & more demanding, hence the "industry" is much more likely to support/sponsor such competitions. Very few know (or care) what rifles were used by those who won recent metallic silhouette competitions, but you'd best believe a LOT of purchases have been made based on what won at EBR or RMAC.

Not a criticism, more of a lamentation. Hell I just bought a Red Wolf, so have no business chastising anyone for buying whatever they think is the best for their pursuits. I do possess some self awareness too, and admit that my preferences are not necessarily mainstream- most folks do want longer range & speed elements, and more & more do welcome an equipment race. Know I sound like a broken record, but again, not a criticism- just a description of what one guy (thinks) he sees going on.

This is true. You do your homework beforehand to prepare yourself as best you can. Then at the match the course is your test and teacher. It will show you your weaknesses and your strengths. It’s up to you to pay attention. Then afterwards you can work on where you fall short and work on for the next match.
I am pretty sure I heard those words yesterday Brian.

I sure hope it isn't fading. I just started Field Target, shooting Hunter class and consider the Open class a graduation to things more challenging. Not that I'm not challenged in Hunter!!! Heck, I can see that just dropping down to 12fpe would be tough even off sticks. Let alone using my body as as the not so steady bipod!!
The particition in the Portland/Seattle area has been a bit iffy in general and many matches had been canceled this summer. I was really hoping to do 2matches a month, but it really only been 1 match every 2 months. I may have to buck up and drive a bit farther to Ashland to attend a match.

I am always comparing it to golf with new shooter. Like golf someone is always selling nice clubs cheap, no need to buy new. Someone is always willing to let you try their clubs.

And mostly just because you shot a good round doesn’t mean next time out you won’t want to launch your bag out into the lake.

I can show you how to shoot ft in about ten minutes. And you will spend the rest of your life trying to figure it out. 🥴 It really is what makes it such a great sport.

Reactions: beerthief
I’ve noticed this also, usually many more Hunter class than Open class. And the top HFT scores are usually higher than the top Open scores. I’ve also been told by a few experienced shooters that have shot both positions that Open with the “girdle” and fat bum bag pocket is easier than HFT bucket and sticks. Not only is the position more stable but scopes can have higher mag and shooters can dial the elevation turret. I’m just repeating what I’ve heard since I’ve only shot Hunter position in FT and EFT.

I've been shooting FT since 2007 and hosting matches since 2008.... The Nationals twice.

I started in Piston and that lasted about 3 months:)
I focused on WFTF PCP for the most part and spent a few years in Open PCP. I went back to WFTF PCP trying to have a chance to go to the worlds when the USA's turn came around, but I just couldn't stay steady for the whole match shooting 90+ % for the first half and then 60% as I got tired and the pain increased. I'm hoping to somehow get into shape and try it again before 2024, but... it's a really long shot.

So, I focused on Hunter for the 2022 season. I think it's a lot easier than any other class if you can still get into a lower position. If you can get steady enough to bracket range the longer targets, then that is a really big factor for fewer misses.

Also having shot WFTF in a lot of wind conditions out west gave me a lot of experience in wind reading... and, confidence to hold outside the kill as much as necessary for the wind conditions... anyway, I think I'm not alone in that type of transition... and that could be why Hunter class has shot the overall high score so often in the last few years.

The other thing, I've seen is that a lot of retired folks are looking for something to do and some have some money to play with... younger folks in general are very busy trying to survive and care for the young folks and old farts like me,

10 to 16 year old people are a possibility if we approach them right... but that's gonna take a lot of work that I don't see a plan for... meanwhile,

I'd like to see AAFTA change to:
12fpe Hunter 16x class,
20fpe existing Hunter class,
Combine Piston,
20 fpe Freestyle,
and WFTF PCP.

I'd also like to see that 12fpe Hunter Class be included in the Worlds Fall 2024, in Phoenix, AZ. Somehow, someway... maybe it's a test run for the course a week or a couple days before the "Real Match"

Wayne Burns
AirGun Oregon

Reactions: beerthief
I’ve also been told by a few experienced shooters that have shot both positions that Open with the “girdle” and fat bum bag pocket is easier than HFT bucket and sticks.
As one who has shot WFTF, Open as well Hunter .... Open or WFTF are the more difficult positions to master ( If you ever do or can ) Sitting on the ground or low bag having to use your body for support having no Bi-pod can be VERY difficult indeed for many folks.
While OPEN allows thigh rests, slings or body harness, added to butt hooks, hamsters and big optics same as WFTF your still left with body parts for stability and your anchor points.

Now hunter you too can sit on ground, a bag or a bucket / stool. But get a Bi-pod to use. There are near countless ways you can sit and find a stable platform to shoot from. While NO rests, hooks, harness or jackets allowed along with 16X max scope ... Your ability to find a STABLE miens to position yourself and rifle far exceeds that of WFTF or OPEN especially in gnarly & uneven terrain.

It is for this reason that the HUNTER shooters are setting most of the high scores at matches in recent years. Being easier it attracts more older and lets say handicapped shooters to try the FT game.

JMO ...

Reactions: Centercut
As one who has shot WFTF, Open as well Hunter .... Open or WFTF are the more difficult positions to master ( If you ever do or can ) Sitting on the ground or low bag having to use your body for support having no Bi-pod can be VERY difficult indeed for many folks.
While OPEN allows thigh rests, slings or body harness, added to butt hooks, hamsters and big optics same as WFTF your still left with body parts for stability and your anchor points.

Now hunter you too can sit on ground, a bag or a bucket / stool. But get a Bi-pod to use. There are near countless ways you can sit and find a stable platform to shoot from. While NO rests, hooks, harness or jackets allowed along with 16X max scope ... Your ability to find a STABLE miens to position yourself and rifle far exceeds that of WFTF or OPEN especially in gnarly & uneven terrain.

It is for this reason that the HUNTER shooters are setting most of the high scores at matches in recent years. Being easier it attracts more older and lets say handicapped shooters to try the FT game.

JMO ...
So in your humble opinion, the use of the bipod outweighs the combined benefits of a girdle, hamster, butt hook and 40x scope that can range better and can be dialed? I can’t say, I’m just asking.

Mike,
We're all built a bit different ( Physically )
Those who can scrunch up on the ground and IDEALLY get there feet splayed apart while doing so can get very stable. Sadly when attempting myself & watching most who do shoot open or wftf really can't either and there heals are near touching.

For my body build ... Hunter all the way !!! Tho said I'm not beyond getting on the ground, ditching the sticks etc to get off a shot or two that simply can't be made comfortably or confidently while sittin on the stool.

Now this a statement of pride and achievement.
For what ever the actual reason is/was ...
Back in 2017 when AAFTA hunter class was still at the Mandatory 12X max scope rule the National Championship was held in Phoenix AZ. With a field of many open & wftf shooters with all the shooting aids afforded them & BIG optics too .... A Lowly Hunter PCP shooter shot the HIGH match score for the entire championship weekend sitting on a stool with a pair of sticks. This achievement was a AATFA milestone being it had never been done before, that of a "Hunter" class shooter besting all others for highest score over 2 days.

Then fast forward to 2021 Morro Bay CA AAFTA National championships .... Once again a lowly Hunter PCP shooter does so again setting the High score for the championship weekend. ( tho used the new 16X max scope rule )

Fluke ? ... Was it better stability, less adjustments to fiddle with, broader field if view etc etc ... have no idea outside being there in person experiencing it happen.

Last edited:
Yeah, must be a body build/type thing. Cuz in my Open class position, I have much less scope wobble than I do when in Hunter class. Open stability is not far behind a bipod/bench scenario for me. But I must be an outlier, b/c if everybody could get as stable from an Open position as I feel like I can......well, anybody that wants to see their scores improve and also physically capable, would be doing so. And there's the rub, either most can't get to a stable position (perhaps due to genetics) or are too seized up from advanced.....experience, that we see growing numbers in Hunter class and declining numbers in other classes.

Reactions: SqrlHntr
I'm inclined to also see or not see .... actual facilities where most play the FT game ?
Played on flat ground with minimal up / down angles and a shooter able too mostly keep the weight somewhat over there butt not falling over it is a lot easier to be on a bag etc in WFTF & OPEN... Start adding odd shooters box textures, rocks & sticks with angles up / down, what you thought comfortable quickly can get ugly for some.

Regional differences perhaps ?

I'm inclined to also see or not see .... actual facilities where most play the FT game ?
Played on flat ground with minimal up / down angles and a shooter able too mostly keep the weight somewhat over there butt not falling over it is a lot easier to be on a bag etc in WFTF & OPEN... Start adding odd shooters box textures, rocks & sticks with angles up / down, what you thought comfortable quickly can get ugly for some.

Regional differences perhaps ?
The NM matches and the matches at Mormon Lake are both out in the real live woods. Those are the matches where I've mostly been competing the last two years. Very rocky and uneven terrain in both places and often have a nice big ROCK right at the shooters stake. Lol. We've had some over in NM on the steep humps next to big Ponderosas. Not flat, but very interesting.

Now, the matches at Ben Avery shooting range down in PHX? those are nice and flat. I pretty much gave up on going to those, for lack of.....character.

Most of my ability to get comfy from a bumbag is likely age related. I'll actually sit on the bumbag with the knee loops in while the other shooter is taking his or her shots and often during shooters pre-match meeting. With a correctly set-up harness, it requires absolutely zero muscle activation to stay in that position, only the neck to keep the head up. Very comfortable position for me. If I dropped dead while sitting in my harness and nobody found me for months, they'd find a neat little skeleton still in that same position (okay, maybe skull lolled over to one side).

Reactions: cavedweller
I hear you guys on the terrain issue and can see how knees, backs, and hemorrhoids may become aggravated by varying terrains, but in the actual field we don’t alway have time to clear the ground before taking a shot so it seems to be more realistic. Pardon my bias since I haven’t reached the point in life where my body is as affected. I thought I read AAFTA Open Class permits a bum bag no higher than 6” from the ground (at the highest point) while seated on it. Does that no alleviate some apprehension and discomfort of uneven terrain created by rocks, sticks, and uneven ground? I have not read the WFTF rules yet. I can see why Open Class participation may be waning if comfort is a factor, the majority of participants are upwards of 60 years of age, and the rules are not as conducive to it as other classes.

There are obvious generational gaps in our society. It would be great if this sport could be a common interest to help bridge the gap for some. Where I live just about everyone (an overwhelming majority) I encounter shoots (PBs), has shot, or enjoys shooting. I mean men, women, children, and folks well into their golden years. Air gunning is not so big here, but that can change. What do you all think needs to occur for that to happen?

I hear you guys on the terrain issue and can see how knees, backs, and hemorrhoids may become aggravated by varying terrains, but in the actual field we don’t alway have time to clear the ground before taking a shot so it seems to be more realistic. Pardon my bias since I haven’t reached the point in life where my body is as affected. I thought I read AAFTA Open Class permits a bum bag no higher than 6” from the ground (at the highest point) while seated on it. Does that no alleviate some apprehension and discomfort of uneven terrain created by rocks, sticks, and uneven ground? I have not read the WFTF rules yet. I can see why Open Class participation may be waning if comfort is a factor, the majority of participants are upwards of 60 years of age, and the rules are not as conducive to it as other classes.

There are obvious generational gaps in our society. It would be great if this sport could be a common interest to help bridge the gap for some. Where I live just about everyone (an overwhelming majority) I encounter shoots (PBs), has shot, or enjoys shooting. I mean men, women, children, and folks well into their golden years. Air gunning is not so big here, but that can change. What do you all think needs to occur for that to happen?

Yes, 6 inches height.
Yes, the bag is better than sitting on the rock, but a decent sized rock under one side of the bag (and with something like only 5% of the rock sticking out of the ground so it's not easily dislodged) will influence how the bag sits on the ground, and how the bum sits on the bag. You can feel it under there. Same with a bucket or stool though. It's down there, part of the playing field, which makes it part of the challenge.

I know of two guys that were quite regulars in my first couple years (both of them were Hunter class shooters) that no longer attend due to back problems. So, I think eventually even Hunter class gets too painful for aches and pains and old injuries.

As for what needs to happen to get a club going? Build it and they will come (hopefully). I just got an email from our club president here in AZ. In that email he told me that Airgunners of AZ field target club is celebrating 30 years this year. Long before my time, but I suspect that long history started out with a handful of interested individuals. We have 12 monthly matches per year, and the retired members in the Phoenix area shoot every Tues. That's lots of opportunities to compete, and I'm glad they started the club way back when and continually put the work in for people like me to be able to enjoy it.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
The Open class has been bleeding downhill for quite a few years. The Open piston class pretty much bled out about 6 years ago and the Open PCP isn't far behind. About 5 or 6 years ago we started having trial classes around the U.S with an new unlimited class. Frankly we were promised by the BOG chairman at the Arizona Nationals that the following year we would have an Unlimited class which unfortunately never happened. There are still clubs around still trying to use this class to cover for their open class or combining their Open Class with unlimited to keep a few extra shooters coming. These shooters can never compete in a AFFTA GP or Nationals because the Unlimited is still not a class. So anyone that is competitive what is the point to continue to shoot this class? Also a few years back a few of us Hunter PCP shooters wanted to bring our buckets and sticks into the Open class. However, The Open class wanted no part of us. If they are satisfied shooting in local shoots with only a couple shooters than I guess that works for them. In the Hunter class we usually have enough shooters that we feel like we are actually in a competition.

Reactions: Motorhead
I see some posts saying open class with a harness makes you very stable and it's TOO easy. Then drop the harness. Just because it's allowed doesn't mean you have to shoot using one. The same goes for any equipment in any class. I've shot all three classes and I prefer OPEN. Yes not many OPEN shooters where I shoot but the course for the most part comes out the winner. When I get squadded with another shooter (whatever class) we are pulling for each other to master the course the MD has set up before us. It's what keeps you coming back.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Across all disciplines in all shooting sports there is always a contingent that hold the opinion that 'all that gear makes it too easy'.
Sometimes it comes from folks who either can't or who have never attempted the discipline in question. Sometimes it comes from perpetual nay sayers, or from so called 'purists'.
In example I give you the Hardback shooting coat used in NRA High Power and Service Rifle.
'Anybody could do that with one of those coats holding you up' is a common refrain....... Try it is the usual reply.
Personal example would be the bucket and sticks. How hard could it be? Then I tried it........

Your modesty is commendable Motorhead.
In case anyone is in the dark about that statement, look up the events he mentioned and see who actually owns those achievements.