• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Is Open class suffering a slow death?

Was just reading the match announcement and report for Rockeville. Sounds like a great time you guys had!

I see that that club has combined PCP Open and the non AAFTA-sanctioned but often participated in Unlimited. (we have Unlimited shooters here in AZ too).
I also see that they combined Piston Open, WFTF, and Unlimited.

In the 4 or 5 years I've been involved in field target, I've seen the trend that appears to also be happening out in CT: more and more shooters migrating to Hunter. And that seems to apply to both newcomers as well as some of those the previously competed in Open. Also, fewer and fewer piston shooters.

While I think we'll see an uptick in WFTF shooters here in the US, with a not-so-far-distant Worlds being hosted by Garrett at Rio Salado in AZ......are the non-Hunter classes slowly going the way of the dodo? And if so, why? Aging shooters finding it less physically demanding? (no judgement there, just stating the facts that getting all the way to the ground and back up has got to be harder on knees and backs than going down to a bucket).

If the trend is age related, what happens to ft when those that have "aged out" of Open eventually get too seized up even for Hunter? The end of field target? Not trying to be chicken little here, just looking for some insight from those who've been in the game much longer than myself and have maybe already witnessed similar trends in the history of ft.

Or will it simply carry on, with us all shooting in Hunter class, essentially on equal footing? (I'm not entirely against that concept and have voiced my opinion before that all the field target classes fragment the competition pool out quite a bit).

While I do not shoot FT, I see enough younger folks at the clubs and shoots that I believe there are enough up and comers around to keep participation levels up, IF they are encouraged and tutored in a manner that fosters their enjoyment of the sport.

It is quite disheartening to think that the above described scenario may become reality. Another ending of an era.

A excellent example and a great case study of the topic can be found in Oklahoma City Club.
Since the start of that club a few short years ago (2019?) they consistently get at least 20 shooters each at every club match. Maybe two, and almost always visitors, shoot something other than HFT.
If you were to look at the demographics of shooters there, you would find 99.9% (no exaggeration) are over the age of 65 (me included) and more leaning toward over 70.
Now let me say BIG kudos to them for getting out and being active! We love you guys!
Even I myself could be an example. I’ve been shooting FT since the tender age of 60 in 2015. the original appeal of HFT to me was I could do it casually. The closest club was Dallas, Texas a five hour drive one way and I could use my Marauder and a used Hawke scope with a stool and shooting sticks. The process of making a DOPE card seemed straight forward so with minimal expense and effort to see if I even really wanted to do this, I was in. What I (thought I) knew about the other classes made them seem a level you aspired to after you “mastered” HFT. 🤣😂
Physically I could (still) do it, but sitting down in somewhat twisted pretzel shape, even with a harness, I didn’t see the advantage nor the appeal.
If it’s about who can knock down the most targets, HFT is real close and sometimes outshoots the other more traditional FT classes.
Is Open class going toward the exit? It’s easy to surmise it appears so. But the key takeaway is rather to ask, are the other classes growing? HFT sure looks like it’s leading the pack. WFTF won’t disappear because it’s, well, a world class event. But moreover is HFT as we know it here in the USA, will it ever be the 600 lb gorilla for a Worlds class?
Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Full disclosure before I start. I am older, physically challenged to some extent, and have shot many shooting disciplines.
It depends to some extent where you are as to what divisions are most popular, although it seems as if Hunter Division has become the most popular. I personally am now shooting WFTF but I believe that Hunter is perceived to be less difficult which kind of aligns with shooting sport trends in general. The most popular things at our club presently are steel challenge and NRL. Steel challenge you shoot at large and close targets with many shots sometimes several hundred in a match. NRL is a bit more technically challenging but most shots are taken using some kind of support. The older precision disciplines are not popular, I think because they are more difficult to learn and do well in.
I do understand that some shooters have physical issues and some additional divisions ( like Hunter) may enable them to stay in the game and keep shooting. The fact is however that in Field Target we have followed the trend to "dumb down" our sport. Our Hunter Division is easy compared to the rest of the world's Hunter Field target. There was and is a desire to create an "Unlimited Division" which is less difficult than Hunter. Some even want to be able to use range finders which I am totally against( so you will be able to simply dial-your -shot! no skill required!).
What's next? Well I suppose that eventually we will just punch our scores in on the computer or better yet, our smart phone from wherever we are.
Good or bad? I don't know, but I do not like it.
Rick B.

Funny this was brought up. I was at a match yesterday and we were talking about it.

I started in 1999 and the field was about 50/50 spring vs pcp. From there about half the shooters wore harnesses.

I could be mistaken but if I remember correctly it was casa and LD that started the stick and bucket deal as a way to slow down the arms race and cap cost to attract newer shooters. I think it was $500 on a rifle.

Twenty three years later and at yesterdays match we had one TX200. Only myself and one other person were shooting off bum bags unsupported.

A few guys using harnesses and everyone else was on a bucket with bipods.

In our club a lot of the older shooters moved to Hunter out of age. I am sure I will be there at some point.

Every new shooter that comes in goes straight to bucket and bipod. Zero interest in the traditional style.

I think bringing up topics like this is important in attracting new participants.l. I’ve been eying FT for a while, but I haven’t looked into the history of the sport or the changing trends over the years. It really looks like fun. I’m not so skilled, but I think I would enjoy watching, participating, and learning from older competitors (those who have been participating for years).HFT looks fun and I assumed it would be something I would enjoy as a hunter. I don’t know what differentiates one style of FT from others aside from in international competition 12 ft/lbs seems to be the standard.

I think bringing up topics like this is important in attracting new participants.l. I’ve been eying FT for a while, but I haven’t looked into the history of the sport or the changing trends over the years. It really looks like fun. I’m not so skilled, but I think I would enjoy watching, participating, and learning from older competitors (those who have been participating for years).HFT looks fun and I assumed it would be something I would enjoy as a hunter. I don’t know what differentiates one style of FT from others aside from in international competition 12 ft/lbs seems to be the standard.
first time i was at a match ,a first time shooter scored 12 /60 i am not sure his feet were actually touching the ground at the end of the match , the smile on his face was great .
It only takes one match to get Totally hooked , even if only observing, i am hooked . ( you do have room for a lane at home ...... right ? )

Reactions: AirGoon
@beertheif I do have room at and around my home for a practice lane. I actually just finished reading the AAFTA rules for Open Class and HFT. It looks fun. It looks like serious fun. I’m not super competitive, I like observing and talking to experienced folks and learning. I think that seeing personal improvement is more valuable to me than beating another person. I think my work schedule would be my largest obstacle.

Reactions: beerthief
I think that seeing personal improvement is more valuable to me than beating another person. I think my work schedule would be my largest obstacle.
Your NOT competing to beat another shooter ... You shooting is competing against the COURSE.
Sooner those who start out in this FT game realize this simple truth the more fun you will have.

Your NOT competing to beat another shooter ... You shooting is competing against the COURSE.
Sooner those who start out in this FT game realize this simple truth the more fun you will have.
This is true. You do your homework beforehand to prepare yourself as best you can. Then at the match the course is your test and teacher. It will show you your weaknesses and your strengths. It’s up to you to pay attention. Then afterwards you can work on where you fall short and work on for the next match.

Reactions: dan_house
Yes think of it being similar to GOLF ....
If you gain a stroke or lose one, it had nothing to do with others playing the same course on the same day ... YOU DID IT !!

When the days game is finished those who Played the better game simply rise to the top. Really that basic of a process.

If and when you CHASE another your setting yourself up to loose focus, get mad at poor shots and overthink the process of ONE SHOT AT A TIME !!
Think about what your doing every shot, learn from mistakes made & #1 is move on forgetting about misses immediately staying focused on your next shot !

If you can do this you will get better at the game ... And that's all it is ... A GAME.