• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is my FX Impact Compact .22 Enough to Cap This Coyote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This coyote (see photo) was acting like "The Lion King" again on my backyard wall. My wife took this picture from the kitchen window, which is about 20 yards away. The brazen Yote was on the wall about 9:00AM.

I'd like to nail this guy the next time he shows up. Problem is, I live in suburbia (see photo.) Just over another wall to the right of the Yote (about 15 feet away) kids walk back and forth to the local K-8th school.

I'd wait until this Yote drops into my yard so I have a rock-solid backstop (7 foot slumpstone wall.) I would need a clean kill so local parents and their kiddies don't freak seeing a stumbling, bleeding Yote strolling along on the sidewalk with them.

My question - How would you configure (pellet, amp psi, fps...) my FX Wildcat MKII Compact .22 to turn this guy's lights out. If you have experience or thoughts on coyote kills I'd appreciate some input.

output.1599519924.jpg

Normally I'll comment on these threads saying you need more stopping power (which I still think would be better in this case), but given your location, there's not much more you can do it seems. How much damage is the coyote doing in the area? Is it worth disposing of? Assuming the answer is yes and you can't get a .25 or .30, if you are able to safely shoot it, use heavy pellets (25gr+) or even slugs and be very conscious of shot placement.

Once the coyote drops into my backyard there are 7 foot tall slump-stone walls on all sides of him. There is no way the shot would not be safely contained within my yard. Granted, it would not be legal to take the shot in my city, but as a certified instructor and range master, I can assure you it would be safe. Maybe not smart given the potential social issues, but safe. 

My concern and question is... can the Wildcat make sure the coyote not leave my backyard?

The Wildcat is super accurate. I routinely shoot flies that land on my backyard pellet trap (4" duct seal in metal case.)

So, for conversation sake, lets assume the shot is safe to take, 20 yards, and I can place the pellet within 1/4 inch of intended impact point. Is the Wildcat up for the job? 

Animal Control  (now called a politically correct Animal Care) in my area does not address any wildlife issues. I have a 1 year-old grandson I care for three days a week (never let him out of my sight,) and I also watch a 14 pound wiener dog on those same days. My wife has a new puppy coming in two weeks. That said, I do take every precaution, but still want to do even more and get this Yote gone.

Thanks, I appreciate all the input and concerns expressed. Keep them coming.

(Maybe I'll watch some old Roadrunner cartoons for alternative ideas.)

No guarantees in killing anything, who says it will land on your side? What if you get buck fever and miss? To many what ifs, especially with no backstop shooting up into an angle like that. The liability just doesn't seem worth it, under better conditions no doubt .22 will do the job. Sounds like your mind is made up no matter what anyone says...

This.

But is there an option where you get his attention without injuring him?

I had a few squirrels that were pestering my garbage in my previous home. A few times I plinked them with a daisy red rider, then I went to an avanti match grade. A few thuds and they stayed away for a long time. Didnt harm them, just got their attention.

That coyote looks huge to me, and I don't think a heart or lung shot is going to anchor him on the spot with a .22 Wildcat. Even more so if your Wildcat cannot shoot slugs. Not sure if you are thinking about a head shot, but to me, that seems to be the only way it does not potentially leave the yard. I just got off another thread about headshotting certain animals, so I'll leave the rest up to you. 

Airgun Nation does not condone this type of activity. If it is legal to shoot an airgun in your suburbia neighborhood, it certainly is not safe or smart to shoot at anything without a proper backstop. Especially given the proximity of children walking to school down a path 15 feet away!

This topic is being locked for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.