• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is Lead A Serious Concern For Children? Is Plastic An Option?

418QQ1QTbvL._AC_.1604155550.jpg
I came across some videos on lead poisoning and was wondering if it's a serious concern for my kids using our home range. And has anyone used plastic bbs through their .177 pellet guns? 

All of our shooting is done under 10 yards.

Thanks.

I did, I set up some raised encased boxes, The noise of the pellet hitting the cardboard in front is too loud and was thinking of hanging some clay covered mesh targets in the box to keep the noise down but the pellets may wind up on the ground. That's why I'm thinking about plastic. Tin is said to be hard enough to score the barrel, so maybe plastic? Are you sure plastic wont work?

I wanted to try it in some pellet guns that are also listed to accept bbs. Sig MPX, Sig P226 and some revolvers, Dan Wesson and a Colt Peace Maker. What do you think would happen if I ran plastic through them? It's a short distance, under 20'. 

20201031_125222.1604163521.jpg

I stuffed some with mulch, then moved to foam. But I want open them up and use exposed sand. I need it to be as quite as possible. I need some soft targets that move when hit but are silent. So maybe hanging some clay on chains? We also have unlimited supply of red and tan natural clay that I can roll a thin layer of brightly colored dollar store clay over to see the impacts. And with adding mineral oil during the forming process the clay can be reshaped at anytime. 

What else dosent make much noise when hit? Sand molds? Maybe a mold that's an upright 4x4x12" rectangle? I think that would be pretty easily to pack and unpack? 

Unless you breath it in or ingest it it poses no problem at all. So if you are not hunched over a fire melting lead off of a circuit board. Or werqing in a factory assembling circuit boards without proper PPE. Most electronics use the crummy non-lead solder these days. Or chewing on 50 year old lead based painted items you should be fine.

I catch the ammo shot at home and melt it down for later use.

Lead *is* harmful, but zillions of people have handled lead and had (led!) normal lives. It's not cyanide. If you (or your kids) handle lead regularly, you should have your lead levels checked during your annual checkup. If you're just shooting pellets, I probably wouldn't even bother. Shooting lead bullets - still not a problem. Reloading lead bullets - get the check. Casting lead bullets - definitely get checked. Point is, it takes pretty significant exposure to matter, but if you have significant exposure, you should get a routine check.

GsT (High in lead one year - switched to stainless wet tumbling and cleaned teh shop with Led-D-Solv and haven't had a problem since.)