Is it wrong to hunt over bait?

Seems weird to me that you are allowed to hunt a damaging pest, but not bait them. If they're THERE ... then ... you are allowed, so ... what's the problem? Game, I can see. Game is limited and part of the whole sportsman ethos to my mind is that they have at least a chance. Otherwise why not just throw grenades? And/or leave all meat to rot and LOLZ while pounding beerz?

But when it comes to pests, the idea is you're doing something practical, not sporting. Would it be any more "sporting" if you poisoned them? And maybe any predators or rivals who then ate the carcass?

Dingfelder hit nail on the head. The line is getting blurred between “pesting” and “hunting”. Filling a feeder with food in the woods and sitting in a blind...I do not consider hunting. Hunting is knowing the habits and life sustaining activities in a natural setting of the quarry that you are hunting. Example safety areas VS feeding areas VS when the quarry will be in these locations. Canceling movement while you travel to these areas, knowing when your quarry will most likely be in these areas.

Dingfelder hit nail on the head. The line is getting blurred between “pesting” and “hunting”. Filling a feeder with food in the woods and sitting in a blind...I do not consider hunting. Hunting is knowing the habits and life sustaining activities in a natural setting of the quarry that you are hunting. Example safety areas VS feeding areas VS when the quarry will be in these locations. Canceling movement while you travel to these areas, knowing when your quarry will most likely be in these areas.

As long as you are following the laws for your local area, it is all good. It is great to pattern the game, learn their bedding and feeding areas, and try to ambush them inbetween. Unfourtunately, a lot of us only have access to smaller parcels of land, a trend that is only going to get worse. If you are going to hunt sometimes you need to do what it takes to make your property more attractive to the game than your neighbor's place.