• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is it worth wearing camo pesting on a dairy?

Yes, especially camo underwear is a must!
1f61c.svg

57_f5a0b6bb-d359-49e0-b7aa-6a2f564b73b9_large__25351.1611493858.1280.1280.jpg

I doubt I could find those in my size.

I don't wear camo at the dairy, a blaze orange watch cap or hat and my black overalls. The overalls get taken off on the back porch and don't come into the house... My wife doesn't like the smell of "dairy air"', my dog Riley? Definitely does. Last weekend I killed a dozen pigeons, most shot on the ground. There is a pair of hawks that are keeping them spooked and on the ground. I shot and wounded a bird at 60 yards, before I could change mags, a hawk swooped in and took the wounded pigeon. The pigeons, starlings and sparrows at this dairy are wary and rarely present multiple shots.

Pigeons definitely recognize vehicles after a while, and guns if they live long enough. Your best camo is what everyone else in the yard is wearing, that is what they are use to seeing. Crows are even worse, they recognize you. I use to always wear this big hat and a white shirt on a farm and I had shot a few Crows one year and then I had stopped wearing the shirt and shooting crows. Fast forward to next summer, it's hot out, I put on the hat and the shirt and has soon as I walked out the door the crows 200 yards away started screaming! They have awesome memories. I actually stopped shooting them after that, unless they were in the corn. They don't touch the corn much anymore. I actually feed them chipmunks now. That is a another story, clever birds.

Oh yea, Pigeons learn quick. The first time you go to a farm to shoot is usually the best. Now when I go to one particular farm I might get one or two pigeons before they fly off and wont come back. I think they do recognize vehicles and guns as danger. One time I pulled in to a farm I that I had been shooting at before and the farmer was there loading grain. I stopped to talk to him and he pointed out some pigeons that were hanging around. As soon as I opened my door and took my gun out they flew off and I never got a shot. The other place I go now I basically have to take 50 plus yard head shots as they sit on the backside of the silos and just peek over the top.

Oh, I just wear whatever I need depending on weather. mostly its my camo jacket as it has big pockets that are handy. Sometimes I just wear my black work jacket. Never noticed a difference.

I don't think wearing camo makes much difference. If you walk around in camo they just will see you as danger. I think the best plan is to scope out the place in the daylight and see where things are but do not shoot any birds. Then go back only at night with a light and stay until you kill as many as possible. Then after you can't get any at night you can try the daytime. When you go at night they really don't want to leave as that is their roost. I did that the the first time I shot at a farm with a break barrel air gun and a 4 D-cell flashlight. That killed my arm and neck because I got in the old cement silo and shot straight up at the pigeons. I must have shot at least 50 pigeons and there may have been 10 to 15 left. It also helped that they have not been shot at before, they were really dumb. Another time I shot a starling out of a tree and his two buddies flew down from the tree and landed about a foot away and looked at him like what happened dude?

i shoot ground squirrels, Eurasian doves, and pigeons on my permission. I have found that it's not necessary to wear camo clothing. Birds and animals are used to seeing movement. Birds, and I'm thinking the ground squirrels too, see ultraviolet light. Daylight reflected off your face is like a beacon in the night. They seem to know this means danger. You can use the camo makeup that waterfowl hunters use to break up the reflections off your face, but I found an easy, cheaper way. This is lightweight and easy to see through. Best of all, the price is right. 

https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-8941-Mosquito-Head-Net/dp/B000WFXDMK/ref=sr_1_38?dchild=1&keywords=lightweight%2Bweight%2Bcamo%2Bhead%2Bnet&qid=1614019336&sr=8-38&th=1