Is it worth keeping my air rifles now that i moved in to the city & have nowhere to shoot it? Nosey neighbours!

I have to go outside of town too as i live in a 2 floor apartment in the #6 largest town in the country.
Fortunately that place is my friends house and he live 2 KM from my dear old sick mother i MUST visit 2 times a week.

It would suck some if i just had to make that 45 min drive just to shoot, but fortunately i have a car ( public transportation would mean a 2 hour trip and then my friend would still have to drive the 2 KM to pick me up in my mothers town )
Also i can sleep over, which i do at least 1 time a weak during peak season / summer, so suddenly the expensive gasoline paid for by my meager pension is a little better deal.
The worst part for me are actually the cost of lead, CUZ i shoot A LOT when i am out there, my friend literally have to pull me off my rifle if he need help with other stuff at the decommissioned farm.
Just like when i was younger, me watching something interesting on TV, and PPL had to throw stuff at me to get my attention, i zoom in that much when i am in the zone.

In regard to challenge here, i would first of all see if there was a chance to hitch a ride with some one, to a range / club or maybe a spot he have.
Family comes first.

I have a problem and that is i moved in to the city where my back yard is only 10 yards long and I have neighbours on all sides The houses on every road are all in a row and everyone's gardens are joined together but seperated by 5 Ft wooden fences. I tried shooting my air rifle and the neighbour on the right side threatened to call the police & the other neighbour on the left side looked over the fence and said its bothering him.
I have nowhere to shoot my air rifle.

I could do to a air rifle club but the nearest ones is over a hour away & I don't have a car so I cant carry that heavy air rifle and case 1+ hour on public transport its usually packed in the trains and buses.

Should I get stop buying any more air rifles and sell the one I have or what would you recommend I do. If I keep it it will just be sitting in my house.
All in all Air gunning is a hobby. So I would search for some property in your local area and talk to the land owners and see if u can set up and shoot. Before I moved to my house we lived in the city and I would drive 30 min away to shoot at a Hay field. Ya it's not convenient but got me and kids out the house and made a day of it. Best luck to u

I HAVE A DREAM.

The dream is that this forum continues to be receptive, encouraging and embracing to young air gun shooters since they are the future of our hobby / sport.

I can't help but cringe at some of the replies to this young shooter.
Seriously, sometimes I wonder if people only read the original comment and then don’t bother seeing if they’ve already responded to other questions which would clarify the situation before making a response. People are really acting like there’s no reason on earth someone might have to move to the city. As @jps2486 pointed out, if you had to take care of family or if you had to pay to get an education so they could pull themselves out of poverty and part of that meant saving money by moving back with your parents most people would do it even if it meant they never or rarely got to shoot.

To OP, I also live in the city. It’s has many conveniences but I can’t wait to finish saving up to buy a plot up north. In the meantime I get substantial enjoyment from disassembling, reassembling, cleaning and modifying airguns. Tomorrow is my first milling course at the local Makerspace on the Bridgeport milling machine. I already took a CNC plasma cutting course and will take the lathe course once it’s available. They have a massive machine shop and I plan on building my own accessories, speed loaders, and replacement parts.

There’s many ways to enjoy this hobby without flinging pellets. However if you don’t plan on doing anything like that, as others have mentioned, depending on which model you own it may make sense to sell as the march of progress continues and better tech becomes available.

Reactions: fishing43
I have a problem and that is i moved in to the city where my back yard is only 10 yards long and I have neighbours on all sides The houses on every road are all in a row and everyone's gardens are joined together but seperated by 5 Ft wooden fences. I tried shooting my air rifle and the neighbour on the right side threatened to call the police & the other neighbour on the left side looked over the fence and said its bothering him.

I could do to a air rifle club but the nearest ones is over a hour away & I don't have a car so I cant carry that heavy air rifle and case 1+ hour on public transport its usually packed in the trains and buses.

Should I get stop buying any more air rifles and sell the one I have or what would you recommend I do. If I keep it it will just be sitting in my house.
I live in a townhouse in a very busy suburb of D.C. and do almost all of my shooting indoors. Because of this, I tend to go with my pumpers and CO2 airguns for my target shooting, to keep things down to slower speeds. Usually, that's only three or four pumps for my .177 and .22 Benjamin, Seneca, Crosman and other pumpers, but even at full power, I doubt my CO2 airguns do more than about five or six hundred fps at best, about half of that of my breakers, so they're still in play indoors too. Keeping my shooting speed down minimizes wear and tear on my pellet trap and also keeps things just a little bit safer, in my opinion. I am indoors, after all (safety glasses are a must!).

Spring, gas piston, CO2 and pumper air pistols are all fine for indoor use, since none shoots all that fast even on their best day, but my gas piston break-barrel air rifles (and springers, if I had any) are another matter, since they always always shoot at full power (as would PCPs, if I could afford that hobby option), so I very rarely use them indoors for much more than sighting in at 30 feet, but I am lucky enough to have close neighbors that are okay with my super careful (never letting anything out of my yard) plinking in my fenced-in backyard when the weather turns nice, regardless of airgun type. If your neighbors just aren't willing to be all that neighborly (nothing wrong with being safety conscious, especially when kids are around), shooting indoors might be your only option. Like me, you might be limited to a distance of thirty feet at the very best, but at least it keeps me shooting regularly.

If you're into distance shooting, and/or PCP and more powerful airguns, I'd suggest searching online to see if you have a local gun shop w/range or some other dedicated shooting range in your town or nearby. Naturally, it'll cost you, but the shooting should be pretty sweet, whatever your choice of airgun type.

Finally, you might use word of mouth, online airgun bulletin boards, your local paper and the like to explore the possible availability of local clubs or friendly shooting get-togethers in your area. Heck, make the ad all about forming your own airgun shooting club, as long as someone (or several someones) wanting to join up is willing to have the gang meet on his or her place outside town (or wherever), where shooting won't be a problem. Give it your best effort, and hopefully you'll be able to come up with something. Fingers crossed... ;-)

Good luck on your quest, fellow shooter! I hope things work out for you.

Reactions: fishing43

I'm sure I'm not the first to suggest it, but there's also the possibility that airgun shooting in your back yard is perfectly legal where you've moved. Check with your local police department, homeowners association (if you have one) and the like to make sure, THEN talk to your neighbors again to try and make things work for everyone, if at all possible. Hopefully it won't come to that, but if it's legal in your area, you can do what you want in your backyard. Again, best of luck!

He is currently living in London. That city is cramped like NY. Not manhattan, but like tight suburbs. People get sketchy fast. I'd sell all guns. Buy back in when you relocate / have shooting opportunity. From what I understand, rules are restrictive there. It would be a shame if the items where confiscated on the complaint of a busybody. Just a thought.

Reactions: qball

Where do you live?

Keep your guns, be patient, get to know the neighbors. If you’re young and strong, that can work to your advantage. Help your neighbors and become cordial and comfortable with one another. Find another way that doesn’t involve you giving up something you like to do… Being on very good terms with your neighbors should be a high priority. Thereafter you can operate within the bounds of whatever the law is in your locale… If you are the new kid on the block? Then the neighbors, there, before you have to get to “know you”. Thereafter? Again operate within the constraints of the laws of your locale.

Also to @sherz , remember everyone who’s telling you to get confrontational with your neighbors will face ZERO consequences of doing so, you on the other hand will. They’ll never need to worry about a noise complaint being filed anytime you’d like to have a party or even family over for the holidays, or having someone call in the fact that you didn’t shovel your sidewalk within x period of time after snow, or that they won’t go completely insane Karen mode and say, “I just saw my neighbor handling guns and I heard someone screaming from inside the house, come quick”, etc

Good fences make good neighbors, good relations make great neighbors.

Good luck

Also to @sherz , remember everyone who’s telling you to get confrontational with your neighbors will face ZERO consequences of doing so, you on the other hand will. They’ll never need to worry about a noise complaint being filed anytime you’d like to have a party or even family over for the holidays, or having someone call in the fact that you didn’t shovel your sidewalk within x period of time after snow, or that they won’t go completely insane Karen mode and say, “I just saw my neighbor handling guns and I heard someone screaming from inside the house, come quick”, etc

Good fences make good neighbors, good relations make great neighbors.

Good luck
Totally agree
Good fences make good neighbors
And good neighbors should not impose their will and stop you from doing what is legal in your own back yard
Protect your rights and don't be bullied.

Yes

Totally agree
Good fences make good neighbors
And good neighbors should not impose their will and stop you from doing what is legal in your own back yard
Protect your rights and don't be bullied.
Exactly. If I had a neighbor that was into some legal activity that I didn't like I'd talk with him about maybe doing that particular thing when I wasn't home or maybe ask him to take a few extra steps to deal with my concerns. That's the reasonable thing to do when you have a neighbor that's into playing the drums, practicing archery, basketball, etc... And if my neighbor requested that I do a few things to alleviate his concerns about my hobby I'd do my best to accommodate him.

If you are in a proper city with small yards as you say I believe you have no real recourse. Your neighbours will be able to make your life miserable if you fire in your yard. You are in the UK? I don't fully understand UK law but my impression is in the UK and even London it is okay to use a low-power airgun in your yard, subject to a lot of qualifiers. So I suspect you could try to push your luck, but don't be surprised if you get the police called on you quite often -- and you may not always get reasonable police. If you are okay having poor relations with your neighbours, then you could try. But you might want to run that by your family first as poor relations with neighbours can be a serious headache, long-term.

Maybe going to their doors and showing them the regulations might help. But if they call the police on you, the police would tell your neighbours the regulations.

Last edited: