Is it worth keeping my air rifles now that i moved in to the city & have nowhere to shoot it? Nosey neighbours!

Just curious, what guns do you have and shooting?
Klentz says it perfectly. Follow laws and make peace with your neighbors. Their problem is that they are not informed and probably scared from all the crazy media going on. The more you shoot without their ok, it shows that you have no disregard for their opinion. To be honest. If an individual was shooting an air rifle 10yds away from my kids with a wooden fence, I would be concerned. Especially with the power today's platform produce. They need to trust you to feel comfortable and know your not going to do anything stupid. I would definitely ask no shooting when my kids are playing or we will have problems.

Reactions: Bernie7
Many decades ago there where shooting galleries on about every second block in London. It is sad that urbanisation brought an end to such past time.

None. I started shooting the air rifle from inside my house all the way in my living room and out in to my garden with a backstop that makes very little sound but they have a problem with that too. They say the pellet will hit them which is impossible & they say its illegal to shoot it so I went to their front door and told them it's a air rifle but they threatened me lol. I think they can hear the snap of the air rifle when I pull the trigger. Its not illegal but when youve got neighbours like that it's best to stop shooting it. it is frustrating.

Living in the countryside was way better
You stated that it is not illegal.
If that is verified, then make certain that you have an overly large backstop (for appearances & safety) and DO NOT STOP SHOOTING.
You are new kid on the bloc k and the neighbors are ganging up on you
Essentially dare them to call the police.
And when law enforcement shows up stay calm, & polite and show them your backstop and any other safety measures you have taken.
And make sure that the sound of the rapport or the pellet hitting the target do not violate any local noise ordinances.

Just my 2 scents
Edward

Buy a couple of inexpensive security cameras. Pattern the neighbors that are the inquisitive twits..so you know when they are or are not home. Shoot when they’re not around. Find a target medium that isn’t loud when it’s struck by pellets. Tune to a low power to minimize shot and impact noise. Don’t shoot outside where you can be seen. If it’s legal, use a good moderator.

Reactions: rcs9250
I live in a typical U.S. suberb. Cannot shoot PB’s, airguns or archery, understandably. I often look out my back window and see squirrels, grackles, starlings and chipmunks, but there’s no way I’m risking the police taking away my pride and joy airguns, or any other hobby instrument that’s prohibited to shoot outside.

As far as your living arrangement, not sure if you “MUST” live with your family but as posted by others, I would set a plan in motion to move or whatever it takes to be able to shoot. Whether it’s move to the country or closer to where shooting is permitted so the drive isn’t so bad. Sounds like you use public transportation, so a car should be in your future.

I used to skydive. Did it for three years. It got to where I could no longer justify $200 to $300 a weekend for that so I stopped. Went to scuba. Did that for 14 years till they found a spot in my lung that could kill me or worse make me a vegetable. So I quit. Moved back to shooting PB’s then airguns. Plinking and hunting. Am a very active shooter but this season I have two flyrods I bought two years ago that I have not opened yet.

Bottom line, figure out a plan/journey and get to it. Maybe airguns right now isn’t realistic. As someone else posted, if it’s going to be quite a while till you can shoot, sell them and put the money aside for that eventual day, for me I need a hobby always, watching the grass grow or watching paint dry just doesn’t cut it.
Get a side job and get the dream started.
Good luck to you.

all you need to do is set up some targets, id make them loud gongs myself .. and position the gun in the middle of a room and shoot through a vertical slit out a window .. also make sure your targets are obscured from the sides so they cannot be seen ... let them try to prove something, if they say anything just be like i have no idea what youre whining about princess .. they cant prove anything .. but i wouldnt get too carried away, just rub it in their face alittle sometimes to let them know, oh yeah, it can be alot worse lol

Last edited:
Reactions: gendoc
Personally, I can't shoot at my own house unless it's 10m in my basement, which I find boring, but I go out to my mothers place about twice a week where I have a range set up that goes out over 100 yards. I've got a sweet setup out there and I know it and I don't want to screw it up so I go to some lengths to try and keep my shooting quiet and my targets inconspicuous. So far there have been no complaints in several decades and I hope to keep it that way.

The best way to do any kind of shooting or hunting is to be within the letter of the law and to not have anyone even know you are doing it. If they can't hear or see you doing it then nothing is likely to ever come of it. In the event that they do however you want to have all your ducks in a row if they complain or notify the law. In your case I'd want large, quiet backstops and I'd overbuild them to a ridiculous degree. I used to have one that was 4'x8'x10" and had 7" of sand between the layers. I'd also want a place to shoot from that would muffle most of the sound of your shooting as well as an excellent suppressor and a camera system for evidence that you're not shooting birds off your neighbors rooftops or whatever other craziness they concoct.

Lastly, be strictly within the law, maybe even visit the police, tell them what you want to do and ask them for advice.