• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is it worth buying a hw97k if i already have a hw77k?

I have a .177 hw77k and want 1 more air rifle and that will be it. I don't see the point in getting another .177 as my hw77k is accurate so I want a. 22 or. 20.
I wanted a TX200 HC or a pro sport but now I'm thinking to get a .20 weihrauch hw97k but I've read that hw97k & hw77k are basically the same gun so it worth it? Or should I just get a air arms.

The .20 calibre is the only thing that made me want a hw97k but if it's the same as or too similar to the hw77k then it will be a waste of money. Uk power limit is sub 12ft/lb.

Last edited:
I own or have owned all of the rifles mentioned. The HW77 and HW97 have the same mechanical/power plant components. I have owned a number of 77s and 97s. The 77 K series rifles have not been as accurate for me as are the 97s with the factory attached muzzle brake. I do own a .22 HW 77 long that is incredibly smooth and accurate to shoot.

The other two springers that I have on par or perhaps even better in performance are 97s in .22 and .20. The .20 HW97K is probably my favorite of the three.

All of my Weihrauchs have been tuned around the Vortek PG4 steel spring kits and are shooting incredibly tight groups at 14 to 15 for so one would think you would really be happy with either at sub 12 ft lb.

I will play devil's advocate and recommend the Air Arms TX200HC over the HW97k. The overall craftsmanship of the TX200 is impressive. The bluing and walnut stock fish scaling is above average making it a joy to shoot.

Mine is set to 12 fpe and it is silky smooth. I suggest going to a local club and checking one out. They are a work of art.

One more and that will be it, huh? I've heard that before!
I have a 97K in .177 and like it a lot, although I seldom shoot it anymore. Mine has a 12 fpe Vortek kit installed, and it is great for back yard shooting. Seated with my shooting stick, I can usually shoot one-ragged-hole groups at 25 yards. IMO, the 12 fpe rifle is best suited to the .177, but the .20 has a lot of followers. I think the HW97 and the TX200 are, as you say, basically the same gun in terms of quality, but are obviously different designs with different features, so just a personal preference.

I'd go with the AA. I own a 177 Hw97 and have had a 177 Hw77. There's not alot of difference. Lately Weihrauch quality has been slipping. The AA guns use a different piston seal design that I feel is more consistent. From what I've seen AA quality has been better than Weihrauchs all along.

As to the 20 cal. I have two. A Hw98 and R9 in 20 cal. I run both close to 16fpe. IMO running a 20 at 12 fpe kind of negates it's benefits of 20 over 177. I guess it really depends on your usage.

At this point I'd buy an AA over a Weihrauch simply on QC.

I have both, the TX200 is better quality,the 77 and 97 are too close to one another. The TX200 would be a better option.
The 97 is easier for me to load and shoot,it is a great springer.
Between English-made and German, the English blueing is always better,the wood is better, that said the English is more expensive and the German shoots just as good....So in the end there is little difference .though in looks the British is better.
Another thing is I always was a Daiwa man,then got some Shimanos ., so guess what,I have both Shimano and Daiwa, English and German.:LOL:

@sherz The .177 TX200 is easier to cock and shoot than the Pro Sport. .177 seems to be a better choice for a 12 fpe rifle now that I have been able to compare them side by side.

My .22 Pro Sport is setup @ 12 fpe. Very accurate but the ergonomics of the cocking arm is not as easy as the TX200. .22 is more rainbow like than the .177 and takes some getting used to. I do not shoot the Pro Sport as much as my TX200.

If I could have only one Air Arms it would be the TX200. I was hitting spinners today at 55 yards in windy conditions with the TX200.

IMG_1905.jpeg

My thoughts are pretty much the same as all these guys commenting. I have the 97K, 77K and just recently got a walnut prosport. My particular 2007 beeman 97K will completely out shoot the 2016 Krales 77K, by a good amount. The 97K is my favorite for ease of cocking and shooting for a long session.
As far as looks the prosport blows them both out of the water..lol. And the accuracy is great, all of my rifles are .177. Shooting off of bog bipod at 40 yards with the prosport I've grouped 5 pellets 3/8" or smaller, but average around 1/2". I've shot smaller with the 97K, but just because I've spent years shooting it.
Currently the prosport is getting all my time. I will say with the full power spring you're going to "feel" a hundred shot session...lol.

I'm not familiar with AA model differences, but at 12 fpe I'd get a 177. Well unless you shoot at fixed known distances. Then 22s will retain at little more smack at the target. The downside is they require a lot more better ranging skills to be able to hit the target. I won't own a 22 under 16 fpe. Even then it's loopy for my shooting environment.
I had a very nice shooting 12 fpe Hw50 in 22 and sold it because i couldn't hit random distance targets past 35 yards. I had better results with an 8 fpe 177 Hw30 because it was flatter.
That's just me. YMMV

Reactions: Sean_Eason
All the guns you mentioned are superior. Have them all except for the 77 in .20 cal. Shoot daily.
The 97 .20 is magical. One of my favorite guns. But you have a 77 so next rifle I would go for is Pro Sport. As good as it looks on the out side, the inside is the same. I‘m always sitting at a bench so jacking the PS is no problem. This gun to hold is sweet. I find it easier to load than the TX. I like handling the TX over the Hunter. With your limit I would think .177 IMO. Good luck. Crow

You're not going to go wrong either way. I've had the 77/97 TX200 in .177 and .22 calibers. Of all of them, I ended up keeping the 97LK in .177. It just shot better for me and I was consistently more accurate with it.

View attachment 422876
What year is that 97LK in .177 ... looks similar to mine and in the same caliber. My personal preference is the HW97 out of owning a few (never got the pro-sport), like the look and the order of operation better than the AA TXs.
DSC_0505.JPG

Last edited:
What year is that 97LK in .177 ... looks similar to mine and in the same caliber. My personal preference is the HW97 out of owning a few (never got the pro-sport), like the look and the order of operation better than the AA TXs.
Not entirely sure of the year, but got it the same year they introduced the LK so it's been a while now. This one has always been a tack driver for me.

Not entirely sure of the year, but got it the same year they introduced the LK so it's been a while now. This one has always been a tack driver for me.
Maybe I'm wrong, but when I picked mine up from AoA pre-owned last year, research said 2005 - 2010. That's what is rattling around in my head anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: .20calguy
Maybe I'm wrong, but when I picked mine up from AoA pre-owned last year, research said 2005 - 2010. That's what it rattling around in my head anyways.
That should be about right... I got out of the Army in 99 and shortly thereafter went on an airgun buying spree so the timeframe matches up!

Reactions: .20calguy
You're not going to go wrong either way. I've had the 77/97 TX200 in .177 and .22 calibers. Of all of them, I ended up keeping the 97LK in .177. It just shot better for me and I was consistently more accurate with it.

View attachment 422876
that is such a beautiful rifle!!!! 👍🏼😀

One more and that will be it, huh? I've heard that before!
I have a 97K in .177 and like it a lot, although I seldom shoot it anymore. Mine has a 12 fpe Vortek kit installed, and it is great for back yard shooting. Seated with my shooting stick, I can usually shoot one-ragged-hole groups at 25 yards. IMO, the 12 fpe rifle is best suited to the .177, but the .20 has a lot of followers. I think the HW97 and the TX200 are, as you say, basically the same gun in terms of quality, but are obviously different designs with different features, so just a personal preference.
Yeah for my powder guns when I first bought my Liberty 20+ capacity safe I told my wife I'll never fill this one up. :LOL: